• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

coolant hoses DIY

Has anyone done a DIY coolant hoses? i'm looking to do this over the weekend on sunday. i just did a search and didn't come up with much besides the faq.

I might get flamed for this but I had some burst on me the large ones in the engine bay. At the time the closest acura dealer was about 3 hours away and they wanted an arm and a leg for the damn hoses. So at the time I was working at advance auto while in college and I brought my burst hoses in and looked for the closest ones that looks similar. I had to modify them(shorten) to make them fit but it had the original bends and cost me 24 bucks I believe :biggrin: 3k miles later there still going strong and I upgraded to screw clamps. I check on them periodically and they seem to be working just fine!:wink:

I might get flamed for this but I had some burst on me the large ones in the engine bay. At the time the closest acura dealer was about 3 hours away and they wanted an arm and a leg for the damn hoses. So at the time I was working at advance auto while in college and I brought my burst hoses in and looked for the closest ones that looks similar. I had to modify them(shorten) to make them fit but it had the original bends and cost me 24 bucks I believe :biggrin: 3k miles later there still going strong and I upgraded to screw clamps. I check on them periodically and they seem to be working just fine!:wink:

Pm'ed

At the moment I'm also having non OEM hose. Still waiting for the OEM to arrive along with other parts in time for T-Belt service.

I'd suggest replacing all hoses and also replacing the thermostat while you are at it. OEM parts are not that expensive so do it once and do it right.

-ak

There are many good threads about this topic. I particularly like this one.

in addition to the links provided.

my dos amigos blew up one day about 1/4 mile from my house..
i rolled it home
changing was fun... <not really>

step 1, make sure you have the car cover so you don't scratch your car
step 2, you are going prolly cut some knuckles getting the big fat DOS AMIGOS hoses on / off
step 3, buy silicon lubricant and use it when you put the hoses back on
step 4, follow the bleeding coolant instructions, you don't want to have to redo all that crap over again.

To replace all the hoses, its a job. The kit from Acura has 23 in total. I think its vital on older NSX's. I just had all mine done. I should have bought the Samco hoses for the bling effect but OEM always gets the job done.

Just to update. When I used the non-oem hose we didn't use back the oem hose clamp. Instead we use the one that have screw thingy on it for tightening. Problem with this clamp it became loose over time and yesterday the hose disconnect from the pipe. Lucky for me the enigne temperature only rise a little when I arrive home (2 minutes when it happen). Clamped the hose back, add coolant and the motor oil still okay. Going to use back oem clamp when the new hoses are here next month.

As noted, the OEM spring clamps can be a pain to work with, but I like the fact that they always put just the right amount of tension to seal the hose application. A lot of screw clamps will start cutting thru the hose when tight.

As noted, the OEM spring clamps can be a pain to work with, but I like the fact that they always put just the right amount of tension to seal the hose application. A lot of screw clamps will start cutting thru the hose when tight.

Can the OEM spring clamps be reused when the hose is changed or should the spring clamps be replaced also?

Any hints on how to replace the two middle coolant hoses underneath the car,
19518-PR7-A00 and 19519-PR7-A00 ?

I looked at them last time I changed the coolant, and they're not easily accessible. Do you take some parts off first to get to them?

Back