• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cooler brakes...

Probably an ignorant question, but what is responsible for lowering the temp of the brake fluid?

I wouldn't think the air funneling to cool rotors & pads plays a role, so what does? Or is this just not an issue at the track?

Thanks for any insight.

Hi Ralph, you correctly answered your own question for the most part, but there are a few other parts to the equation. First, good air flow is the best way to cool the brakes, look at F1 and Indy cars with the ducting. Second, DOT 4 and 5 brake fluid has a higher boiling point which allows the fluid to resist boiling at a lower temperature, thus preventing air bubbles from getting in the lines and decreasing braking ability. Think of it like a SCUBA diver getting the BENDS. And third, track pads are better at withstanding heat and perform better hot, compared to OEM pads

For those reasons, I always flush out the brake fluid and refill with new fresh DOT 4 every time and change the pads before EVERY track event. This way I am confident that my brakes will work consistently each time.

Give me a call if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Rob

[This message has been edited by Dr.Lane (edited 15 December 2000).]

Thanks Rob, again this is just idle curiosity - so what you are saying in essence is that the fluid dissipates heat mainly through the caliper/rotor/pads?

Must not be an issue else there'd be all types of aftermarket devices for this.

Ralph

Back