• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

corner balancing

What is the average cost to get this done. I was quoted $250 and it seemed like alot. The guy told me he charges flat rate and it could take
2-6 hrs depending on the car

That's a good price.

Also, do they corner balance the car with YOU in it? Would make sense.

Most add weights on the drivers side to get close to the drivers weight... Having him sit there for 4 hours might not work so great haha.

Corner balancing is only done properly with coil-overs.... and only useful for a track-only (or often) car. But the price here is great.

Last edited:
Yes my car has the comptech pro coilovers and I'm getting it done with me in the car. I have Autocrossed my S2000 for a while and live a few hrs away from sebring. My car is pretty much set up for track so I wanted to get it corner balanced. I just didn't know what a fair price was but it sounds like this is a fair price

Along these lines, how important is it to corner balance? I've read enough about it to understand what is being done and why in principle. But actually how much is translated to feel / laptime?

The reason I ask is that I corner balanced my last car once. I set the ride height visually with a ruler and when the car went on the scales, it was pretty much good enough. Was that just dumb luck? I haven't bothered to corner balance any cars since

That's a good price. Mine was almost double that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Along these lines, how important is it to corner balance? I've read enough about it to understand what is being done and why in principle. But actually how much is translated to feel / laptime?

The reason I ask is that I corner balanced my last car once. I set the ride height visually with a ruler and when the car went on the scales, it was pretty much good enough. Was that just dumb luck? I haven't bothered to corner balance any cars since
I'm getting my done because I have a nice set up and I figured I might as well do it to take advantage of the set up. I also want to see what my car weighs. I have learned from Autocross that it doesn't matter what you have done if someone is a better driver they will be faster then you every time. I bought the car with all the comptech suspension on it which was alot of money so why not tune it?

Corner balancing is only done properly with coil-overs.... and only useful for a track-only (or often) car.

not entirely true, some cars (like my spec e30 which does not allow coilovers) can use rubber spring pads to shim a corner in order to achieve ideal cross weights. and it's not just for track cars - if you're running particularly stiff springs even a small out of adjustment can lead to pretty wacky numbers. eyeballing things isn't good enough, you need scales and a flat floor to get it right. failure to do so can lead to strange handling characteristics, uneven tire wear, squirrelly braking, etc.

you also need adjustable swaybar endlinks to really do the job properly, many people don't disconnect the bar which can result in preload. sways shroud be disconnected before corner balancing (with ballast in the driver seat), then once it's all set they should be hooked up at one end and the end links adjusted so there is zero load with the car on the ground. it may be necessary to put the car on wheel stands or ramps so you can crawl underneath to make the final adjustments. there's a reason a proper corner weight job is expensive!

Last edited:
there's a reason a proper corner weight job is expensive!

I get this part of it - I have been doing alignments at home and understand the labor involved is not small (not to mention the necessary tools). What I never seem to be able to find though is the tangible speed improvement value, which I do understand would depend on how badly it was off in the first place.

I guess what I'm getting at is if this is another one of those $400 for .1sec mods, I will probably continue to eyeball it.

Our cars are close to 50% cross. I just made sure the spring perches were the say r-l and when i scaled my car it was 49.8% if the shop dosnt know what they are doing and start cranking down just one corner, they can do more harm than good. If u do take it somewhere, make sure they know what they are doing and they work on race cars. Not just tuner cars. Imo its not worth it for a street driven car especially since our nsx is pretty well balanced to begin with.

Our cars are close to 50% cross. I just made sure the spring perches were the say r-l and when i scaled my car it was 49.8% if the shop dosnt know what they are doing and start cranking down just one corner, they can do more harm than good. If u do take it somewhere, make sure they know what they are doing and they work on race cars. Not just tuner cars. Imo its not worth it for a street driven car especially since our nsx is pretty well balanced to begin with.

I'm taking to a shop that sets up race cars. The car has $4,500 in suspension mods so I would think its worth it to spend $250 to fine tune it. I'm getting it done later today. I will post up tomorrow to let you guys know what it started out at and how much it was off. I also want to see what the true weight of my car is. I have lighter seats, brakes and a few other things.

Re: How "tuned" are you?

If you're the next Suntman and I should've known that, then never mind the question, but how close are you to an NSX track record?

Expensive parts and meticulous tuning won't not make that much difference if you are not a very advanced driver and taking the equipment to the limit. As we've all agreed elsewhere many times, and I continually demonstrate, :redface: the driver is usually the biggest variable and needs the most improvement.

Re: How "tuned" are you?

If you're the next Suntman and I should've known that, then never mind the question, but how close are you to an NSX track record?

Expensive parts and meticulous tuning won't not make that much difference if you are not a very advanced driver and taking the equipment to the limit. As we've all agreed elsewhere many times, and I continually demonstrate, :redface: the driver is usually the biggest variable and needs the most improvement.

I bought the car with these parts already installed. I Autocross just about every month. So I don't think spending $250 to take advantage of my set up is a waste. I usually finish in the top 3 in my class running my S2000 which has springs and stock struts with 152k on them. I didn't post up here to debate the benifits of corner balancing rather then to see if $250 was a fair price. Just so you know I enjoy winning and in the Autocross events I run the difference between first and second can be less then a tenth of a second. I'm not trying to set any records nor would I have bought the high dollar suspension that's on my Nsx since I do fine with a cheap set up on my s2k. $250 for me to know my car is at its full potential is well worth it. I already stated in my previous post that I'm well aware a better driver will always win against someone no matter how well the car is set up. So not sure what your comment is all about

Last edited:
The car was very close since I had the coilovers exact on each corner. Car was at 51 and 49 and the car with a full tank of fuel was 31
00lbs

Is it 50% cross now? What abt weight distribution?
With me in the car left front 689lbs right front 673lbs left rear 979lbs right rear 950lbs. Left total weight 1667 right total 1624 rear total 1927 front total 1364. Total wieght 3291 with me and 3101 without me and thats with a full tank of gas with 10 miles on the odo. I dont know exactly the math of what they mean but was told its at 50.2% and those numbers are close but not perfect. Took 2 hrs and he came to my house to do it for $250. Maybe you can chime in and tell me your thoughts?

Last edited:
With me in the car left front 689lbs right front 673lbs left rear 979lbs right rear 950lbs. Left total weight 1667 right total 1624 rear total 1927 front total 1364. Total wieght 3291 with me and 3101 without me and thats with a full tank of gas with 10 miles on the odo. I dont know exactly the math of what they mean but was told its at 50.2% and those numbers are close but not perfect. Took 2 hrs and he came to my house to do it for $250. Maybe you can chime in and tell me your thoughts?
41.4% front weight 58.6% rear weight

50.19% cross weight

I think it is the best to do corner balancing with half the tank, that way you are in the middle. Your weight will be off by a lot when almost on empty.

I think it is the best to do corner balancing with half the tank, that way you are in the middle. Your weight will be off by a lot when almost on empty.
I'm sure you are right about that. Unfortunately i made the appt and the car had a full tank. I dont drive it that often so it worked out that way. I have around 100lbs of fuel in the car

fuel tank is in the middle of the car so it doesn't really matter much. more important to have the driver (or equal ballast) in the driver seat.

Very good point, I just remember that when I was scheduling my appointment I was told to bring the car with around half the tank. I guess this could be a good comment for those who will find this thread when researching this topic.

Back