• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Corvette Owner ENVYS!

I was putting gas at a 76 gas station in my NSX, and a Older gentleman
came in in his Z06 which was nice (not a fan) but anyways he parks
and he told me I had a beautiful car also he he was asking about the
drivetrain he had no idea what it was so I gave him alittle info on it. I told him he had a nice car and he replies by saying corvettes u see day and night but a nsx is special because you dont see them as much in the street.

Thats the Beauty of not having a DOMESTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Corvette Owner ENVYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is true and its cool to run into another car guy that has broad appreciation.

Ill play devils advocate though as a former Vette owner.

Yes they are everywhere, but EVERYONE knows what it is and it is an American icon.

One cool thing with the Vette was everywhere you go you get thumbs up from bikers, truckers, little kids, regular folks, old timers. Here in the US, the Vette really is an "American Pride" thing and its kind of cool.

Similar to Porsche. Everywhere, but EVERYONE knows what it is and thinks "ooooo... Porsche"

Im talking REGULAR people here. When I had my 911 I found that it was the only car where opposite sex attention actually *did* go up (for those who care about that). It's probably for the wrong reasons (cash hunters... LOL), but the brand has undeniable cachet even in the jaded NE.

The NSX really *no one* knows what the hell it is. And then when people figure it out its "thats an ACURA!?" or "thats a HONDA?!" or "hey... I think thats the new Corvette!"

That can be cool too, but I wouldnt go so far as to imply that, to the vast majority of the population, an NSX has any kind of real meaning. They just have zero clue what it is but its low and small and has a midengine stance so they look at it and wonder whats up.

Even in this recession, I see people with brand new Z06's and ZR1 driving up and down PCH almost on a daily basis. I haven't seen a NSX is a couple of months, other than my own.

This is true and its cool to run into another car guy that has broad appreciation.

Ill play devils advocate though as a former Vette owner.

Yes they are everywhere, but EVERYONE knows what it is and it is an American icon.

One cool thing with the Vette was everywhere you go you get thumbs up from bikers, truckers, little kids, regular folks, old timers. Here in the US, the Vette really is an "American Pride" thing and its kind of cool.

Similar to Porsche. Everywhere, but EVERYONE knows what it is and thinks "ooooo... Porsche"

Im talking REGULAR people here. When I had my 911 I found that it was the only car where opposite sex attention actually *did* go up (for those who care about that). It's probably for the wrong reasons (cash hunters... LOL), but the brand has undeniable cachet even in the jaded NE.

The NSX really *no one* knows what the hell it is. And then when people figure it out its "thats an ACURA!?" or "thats a HONDA?!" or "hey... I think thats the new Corvette!"

That can be cool too, but I wouldnt go so far as to imply that, to the vast majority of the population, an NSX has any kind of real meaning. They just have zero clue what it is but its low and small and has a midengine stance so they look at it and wonder whats up.

I also get thumbs up from bikers and corvette owners. I love the corvette not cause it an American icon, but because for the money it's a steal for the performance you get out of it. Now I could have bought a Corvette(as I am sure that 99% of NSX owners could have) but I didn't. Mainly A) I fell in love with the NSX in high school and B) they are a dime a dozen. I see, no exaggeration, 3-5 Vettes a day.

drivetrain he had no idea what it was so I gave him alittle info on it. I told him he had a nice car and he replies by saying corvettes u see day and night but a nsx is special because you dont see them as much in the street.

The beauty of not having a V8 penis extension

I never really understood what the benefit of "exclusivity" is unless you're overly concerned with what other people think about the car you drive, or perhaps if you need your car to be how you stand out from the crowd. Isn't it about the driving experience?

the downside to our exclusivity is the NSX is dead... Corvette lives, stronger than ever.

.....Z06 .......Thats the Beauty of not having a DOMESTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C5 or C6 Z06? The NSX will never get the same sorta power as a tuned C6 Z06 with CA smog legal mods and get the same freeway MPGs as the C6 Z06. that's the nice thing about GM's V8s.

Not that a C6Z06 needs more power for the average driver, but the intercooled supercharger kits are about half the price of a SOS SC with an intercooler.

Here are some domestics that are rare (some more rare than the NSX by a long shot):

DodgeViper2.jpg

scc-ultimate-aero-ev-01.jpg

saleen_s7_4.jpg

1053264.jpg

Last edited:

the downside to our exclusivity is the NSX is dead... Corvette lives, stronger than ever.

NSX made it 15 years to Corvette's 58 years and counting.

Corvette has been a leader in performance for the buck for years.

I've owned two Corvettes in the past. I always enjoyed mine, but when it came time to purchase again, I chose the NSX. I liked it for the performance, timeless design, reliablility, and that you don't see them very often.

As for performance a Z06 and ZR1 would leave me in there dust I'm sure. But for me the NSX has plenty of performance and I enjoy it.

If I had more $$$ and a larger stable I would probably own one too.

I was speaking to a guy who had a new ZR1, he went to the factory in Bowling Green and watched the car being built every step of the way. He said he received the VIP treatment... I suppose with the cost of the ZR1 he should receive VIP treatment.

I think he was just trying to make you feel good. He obviously could have purchased an NSX but chose the ZO6. You said he was older - a younger dude in a C6 ZO6 probably wouldn't have paid any attention!

The NSX is a neat little car, but bang-for-the-buck, the C6 can't be beat. The C6 Z06 (and of course, the ZR1) styling is just as nice as an '02 NSX IMO.

Dave

I never really understood what the benefit of "exclusivity" is unless you're overly concerned with what other people think about the car you drive, or perhaps if you need your car to be how you stand out from the crowd. Isn't it about the driving experience?

I would think it's not really about "exclusivity" but more about "rarity". To some it's a special moment when you see a rare car driving down the road. (I know I get excited/happy if I saw a NSX, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Saleen, Viper, etc. just because these cars are usually beautiful and your time of exposure to them is very limited in real world situations.) Owning one of these rare cars, I'm assuming, just makes us feel (lucky, bless, fortunate, etc) to be in a position to own something rare and respected/loved/liked by many. At least well that's how I feel:redface:

Last edited:

In all honesty I would be very interrested in the ZR1 if GM would've spent a couple two-tree dolars on a nice alacantra/carbon/suede supercar interior ......:rolleyes:

I think he was just trying to make you feel good. He obviously could have purchased an NSX but chose the ZO6. You said he was older - a younger dude in a C6 ZO6 probably wouldn't have paid any attention!

The NSX is a neat little car, but bang-for-the-buck, the C6 can't be beat. The C6 Z06 (and of course, the ZR1) styling is just as nice as an '02 NSX IMO.

Dave

This...

In all honesty I would be very interrested in the ZR1 if GM would've spent a couple two-tree dolars on a nice alacantra/carbon/suede supercar interior ......:rolleyes:

Why not come from the angle that it's a good thing that the ZR1 stopped there so you can decide on your own custom interior?

I live in Long Beach, MS, on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

There are three NSX's in Long Beach (a town of around 20,000). There are a couple more on the coast here. Currently I believe there are only 2 S2000s in Long Beach. So much for rarity, at least locally.

Almost half the time someone comments on my NSX, they know what it is. Most of these folks even know it is made by Honda. They still generally comment on how great it looks, how they know someone who has or had one, how it was fast in its day but performance is somewhat dated by 2011 standards, how impressive the original paint and interior on mine is, etc. Young and old, we have a lot of knowledgeable car geeks down here I guess.

I love C6 'vettes. The power is intoxicating and the handling is pretty sweet. They finally got seats the seats almost right and the interiors that look like they might be from a nice new Malibu rather than from a Cavalier. And I'm a big fan of most of the LS engines, too.

But I prefer my 91 NSX for its style, balance, exotic materials and engineering (geek-love), and manual steering. Also, it's hard to find a really nice C6 for $26K.

Last edited:

Why not come from the angle that it's a good thing that the ZR1 stopped there so you can decide on your own custom interior?

..because when I am buying a new expensive/exclusive car I want it as original and oem as possible. Doing the mod thing may be ok for some but to feel the need to do it right outa the showroom to compensate for the manufact. shortcomings is imho a detractor. And yes this is coming from a guy who owns the bumblebee:eek:

Corvettes are nice and I used to want one, but for some reason I can't stand them now. I don't even like the sound they make anymore. I can't explain it, but the thought of me owning one, makes me feel uneasy. lol.

Corvettes are nice and I used to want one, but for some reason I can't stand them now. I don't even like the sound they make anymore. I can't explain it, but the thought of me owning one, makes me feel uneasy. lol.

I only like the Euro-like V8 sound when the X-pipe exhausts are put on.

I'm not down with the H-pipe & chambered exhaust sound. So low tech sounding.

A flat plane v8 is what makes a ferrari sound like a ferrari.

One word: Caravaggio.

But if you're a tracker then I can't see why you'd stick with any quasi-OEM seat, nor can i see why you'd choose a ZR1 over a Z06.

One word: Caravaggio.

But if you're a tracker then I can't see why you'd stick with any quasi-OEM seat, nor can i see why you'd choose a ZR1 over a Z06.

I would'nt be tracking the ZR1...much:wink: I would use it as a freakishly fast street car. The standard Zo6 would be my choice for a track weapon.And again I would prefer that GM build the unique interior instead of me.

I suppose with the cost of the ZR1 he should receive VIP treatment.

for the price of a ZR1, they could at least have the carbon weave going the same direction on the roof and rear hatch... (dumb things like that I notice and bugs the crap out of me)

i still say that the nsx is responsible for the corvette looks,you look at the 80's-early 90's vette. they look like shit.out comes the nsx for the 91 model year,...........wow look at those side scoops,wow look at the low stance, wow look at the staggerd whhels, wow look at the sleek position of the front lights. i dont know,its just my opp.every time i see one i see a copy cat. in 1997 the corvette went from being an americain muscle car-to being an americain imatation of a exotic. i saw on tv a few years back that the corvettes where being tested and designed in germany at the porche facility. and you look at the early 90's vettes and how many people put body kits on them. there is a 94 vette a few blocks away from where i live and it is done up to look light a ferari,door louvers,hood,back window removed and replaced with ferari style engine cover. one of the nicest vettes ive seen.
sorry,i dont mean to offend anyone.

Back