• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cost of new clutch?

How much should an OEM clutch cost for a 1995 NSX parts and labor? I've been told I need alignment too afterwards. Thanks.

I’ll say about 8-10 hours of labor = $1000,
Plus the cost of a clutch and possibly flywheel = $2000-2500 (swag). Clutch price varies between single and dual disk, I believe the single disk is noticeably less.

Science of speed has good prices for OEM replacement disks.

If the person doing the work marks the suspension properly, an alignment is not necessary, but is recommended.

Last edited:
If you have a reputable shop do it it usually ends up in the 3500 dollar range unless having the engine out doing other services.

replacement clutch 95 NSX

Jinks,

If I were you I would get rid of that slippy/sloppy dual disk setup.$3500 would be too much for me! Replacing the OEM Dual-mass flywheel was crazy expensive. I did the labor myself, used an aftermarket 97 version light flywheel and the 97 OEM disk and cover. It looks as if the 97 disk (without the springs in it) won't work. But a local expert told me not to worry. He was correct! Car now has light pedal pressure but grabs great due to the larger diameter single disk and butter smooth operation! My total cost in parts was around $1300.00

Stephen
If you have a reputable shop do it it usually ends up in the 3500 dollar range unless having the engine out doing other services.

Last edited:
You can get by with just a friction disc change for about $500 new. Or have the entire clutch rebuilt for about $600.

If you are mechanically inclined it is not that bad of a job. Takes an easy weekend.

On the difficulty scale:
1= brakes
5= new clutch
6 = evaporator replacement
7= timing belt
9= rebuild transmission
10= rebuild engine

Last edited:
You can get by with just a friction disc change for about $500 new. Or have the entire clutch rebuilt for about $600.

If you are mechanically inclined it is not that bad of a job. Takes an easy weekend.

On the difficulty scale:
1= brakes
5= new clutch
7= timing belt
9= rebuild transmission
10= rebuild engine

Is that price for a single or dual disc clutch?
I haven’t done the t/b on the NSX, but did on my Legend with 2.7 SOHC and thought it was no more difficult than a 2 ltr accord and easier than pulling the nsx gearbox. I know the DOHC is harder, but I don’t know if it is a 7

Last edited:
We should have a poll on which job people would rather perform.

The TB on the NSX is just plain difficult. Parallax errors are easy, super tight quarters, and lots of mirror time. Just too easy to make a mistake, everything is time consuming and the job starts off hard with just getting the crank bolt off...

Personally, I'd rather do clutches anyday over the TB.

Updated costs for 2019, from Amayama.com for an economy clutch replacement:
Disc 1: 22200-PR7-305, $235
Disc 2: 22400-PR7-305, $235

vs

A clutch set: 22000-PR7-305, $1631

plus:
Pilot bearing: 91006-PR7-008, $10
throw out bearing: 22810-PR8-003, $195

Note: a shop will rarely replace just the discs if you want them to warranty the work.

I have had zero issues replacing just the friction discs on any of my cars, including the NSX.

We should have a poll on which job people would rather perform.

The TB on the NSX is just plain difficult. Parallax errors are easy, super tight quarters, and lots of mirror time. Just too easy to make a mistake, everything is time consuming and the job starts off hard with just getting the crank bolt off...

Personally, I'd rather do clutches anyday over the TB.

Thanks. First few times I broke a crank loose, I thought “OMG, I just broke something, and it’s time to change my drawers.”

The clutch change does have the inconvenience of the whole 'car up in the air drop stuff out the bottom factor'. If you have a hoist and a transmission jack the job is probably mechanically straightforward with much less opportunity to screw things up like on a TB change (but with more stuff to disconnect and remove).

On the difficulty scale:
1= brakes
5= new clutch
7= timing belt
9= rebuild transmission
10= rebuild engine
I've done 5 and 9 so far. 6 and 7 are on my list but the older you get the more difficult it seems...

Back