• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cost to replace a Bumper Cover on a 2000 NSXT

Well Crap...Some of you might have read a previous post of mine about backing into my Explorer. I thought there was no damage, but I just found a crack along the curve around the license plate insert. It's back along the flat area that is perpendicular to the license plate. I assume there is no way to patch that. I don't really care about the crack because you can't see it unless you get on your knees and look closely. My concern is that the crack will continue to grow. I can take a picture of it if anyone wants to see what I am talking about.

So, I want to know if something like that can be epoxied to prevent the crack from growing. A little touch up paint would make it nearly impossible to notice as long as the crack was stopped. If that isn't possible, how much does it cost to replace the cover? I want it done right, so I would be willing to travel a little ways to find a good shop. Does a replacement cover come already painted from the factory or does it have to be painted at the shop? Mine's Silverstone, by the way.

Always look in your mirror when backing out of your garage.

Matt

------------------
2000 NSX-T #49
Silverstone/Black
10,500 miles
No Mods

[This message has been edited by NSXForEver (edited 13 March 2002).]

I don't think it's going to spread and, if you have to get on your hands and knees to really notice it then you should be o.k.
Trying to touch it up WILL be noticable.
It can be repaired by a good shop that has experience/training in plastic repair. If I'm understanding you about where the damage is, the repair shop should be able to keep the color coat application well away from the quarter panel so blending into adjacent panels or, panel to panel color match should not be an issue. If you can, try living with it.

The bumper cover retails around 850-900. You should be able to purchase one around 750-800. To remove the old, paint the new and reinstall will run around $500. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Matt:
Hey Pbassjo, your avatar is interesting, do you have a bigger pic of it?

That's taken from the Technical Information book that's available in the FAQ. For a larger version, click here.

Matt --

Bummer, sorry to hear about the mishap. I think Joe is right, the crack in plastic is not likely to grow if it is not hit again. Touching it up will likely make it more apparent.

On a side not, Japanese "Burn-Up" now has a replacement rear bumper cover based on the euro-spec bumper with the wide license plate frame. I thought this was a pretty interesting new part, especially since it is significantly less than the stock part.

diffuser_large.jpg
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior_performance_products/NSX/Burn-Up/

Regards,
-- Chris

Originally posted by NSXForEver:
Well Crap...Some of you might have read a previous post of mine about backing into my Explorer. I thought there was no damage, but I just found a crack along the curve around the license plate insert. It's back along the flat area that is perpendicular to the license plate. I assume there is no way to patch that. I don't really care about the crack because you can't see it unless you get on your knees and look closely. My concern is that the crack will continue to grow. I can take a picture of it if anyone wants to see what I am talking about.

So, I want to know if something like that can be epoxied to prevent the crack from growing. A little touch up paint would make it nearly impossible to notice as long as the crack was stopped. If that isn't possible, how much does it cost to replace the cover? I want it done right, so I would be willing to travel a little ways to find a good shop. Does a replacement cover come already painted from the factory or does it have to be painted at the shop? Mine's Silverstone, by the way.

Always look in your mirror when backing out of your garage.

Matt

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

Thanks for the info. I am going to check around town to see what some of the better shops here have to say. I would prefer to try to patch the existing cover so I don't have to worry about matching the paint on the whole thing. I won't try to touch it up myself since the OEM touch up paint is hard to get right.

Ken, does Steve's shop do that kind of work? Is it worth it to have a high end shop like that do a bumper cover? Don't know if I trust anybody locally.

Matt

------------------
2000 NSX-T #49
Silverstone/Black
11,000 miles
No Mods

Originally posted by NSXForEver:
Ken, does Steve's shop do that kind of work?

Yes. The Last Detail does all types of body work, has all the latest equipment, and has quite a bit of NSX experience. If my NSX needed body work, that's where I'd take it (even though I know of 4-5 other body shops in the Chicago/Milwaukee area with decent NSX experience).

Is it worth it to have a high end shop like that do a bumper cover? Don't know if I trust anybody locally.

There are several questions here. One is whether you need to replace it at all. pbassjo is a professional and my observation is that he has consistently provided good advice about body repairs. As he notes, you can try living with it.

If it bothers you, you could try having someone local repair the part. Get a price and see how much you'd save. Worse comes to worst, you could always have it replaced if the repair doesn't work out.

If I were going to drive 300 miles to get it fixed, though, I would definitely get it replaced, rather than get a plastic repair that might or might not work out.

If I were you, I would try living with it, while getting prices from a local place for a plastic repair, and from The Last Detail for a full replacement. (I'm sure they can give you a price over the phone, 847-689-8822.) Know your options, and then decide.

Back