• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cost to replace ALL hoses question

There are currently several threads on maintenance, TB/Water pump, etc. and some discussions regarding hose replacements. There are tons of threads relating to the costs of TB/WP, 60K, etc.

Question. How much would you estimate replacing ALL of the hoses would cost?

I can't give you a hard figure cause I just finished doing the job myself. However, it took me about 10 hrs and 3 days to change them. This is with the transmission, axles, cross members, etc... removed from the car. I paid $300 for the hoses from Dali.

I would consider myself a very seasoned do it your selfer. These hoses tested my patience to a level not seen in a while. They are so snug fitting, that I swore they were the wrong hoses for the car. There were several times I wish I could have driven the car to Barnman's shop and paid him any amount to finish the job. However, with no tranny in the car I was stuck doing the job myself

I can't imagine someone doing the job for less than $1,000 including the hoses. I am very interested to hear what others have paid for the job myself.

about $1000 is what i've heard.
my 6 main ones were replaced 6 years ago,the rest are presumably original,so i'm thinking about biting the bullet next year and doing all the hoses,(along with tb/wp,which will be at 7 years and not many miles),and a new coolant tank.
probably worth it for peace of mind.

I can't give you a hard figure cause I just finished doing the job myself. However, it took me about 10 hrs and 3 days to change them. This is with the transmission, axles, cross members, etc... removed from the car. I paid $300 for the hoses from Dali.

I would consider myself a very seasoned do it your selfer. These hoses tested my patience to a level not seen in a while. They are so snug fitting, that I swore they were the wrong hoses for the car. There were several times I wish I could have driven the car to Barnman's shop and paid him any amount to finish the job. However, with no tranny in the car I was stuck doing the job myself

I can't imagine someone doing the job for less than $1,000 including the hoses. I am very interested to hear what others have paid for the job myself.

Well, that's what I've heard as well. It takes two men an a boy to do the job. That's the reason I asked the question.

We always talk about how important it is to change the hoses but I don't know too many people that have done it. I'll try to call some places tomorrow and get an estimate. In the mean time, would appreciate some feedback of those that have done it.

I did a good number of them on my own. They were not fun.

Next time I will pay someone to do it.

just had mine done recently. all 23 hoses cost about 300 and i was quoted from 700-900$ do get it done..so along with having the ctsc (whipple) kit install, header leak fix, fuel filter replaced, oil pan gasket replaced..i paid $2300 for everything..my car is a 93 and after the shop inspect it, i was told the hose were original..so HAD to replace it to prevent future breaks and leaks..

just had mine done recently. all 23 hoses cost about 300 and i was quoted from 700-900$ do get it done..so along with having the ctsc (whipple) kit install, header leak fix, fuel filter replaced, oil pan gasket replaced..i paid $2300 for everything..my car is a 93 and after the shop inspect it, i was told the hose were original..so HAD to replace it to prevent future breaks and leaks..

So is that $700 to $900 for having all new hoses installed? I assume you're saying the hoses were $300 and the labor was $500 to $900. Is that correct? Or are the hoses $300 and the labor is $700 to $900 meaning the costs would be $1,000 to $1,200.:confused:

So is that $700 to $900 for having all new hoses installed? I assume you're saying the hoses were $300 and the labor was $500 to $900. Is that correct? Or are the hoses $300 and the labor is $700 to $900 meaning the costs would be $1,000 to $1,200.:confused:

Did Don give you an estimate?

I had mine done in December. I supplied the hoses (~$300) from Dali and the labor was $715..........total ~$1015

yes..u are correct.. so $300 + 7-900 labor..so anywhere between 1-1,200 ish..which seems to be the consensus here..i was actually charge 700 because i had other things i wanted to get done too..so i got a deal out of it..

I supplied all the hoses and had mine done with the tb/wp service. The labor for everything was $1,500.

I had mine done in October. Was around $900 total. $300 for the parts that I supplied and around $600 for the labor.

The total bill was like $680 (without the hoses) but that also included an oil change and transmission fluid change along with the complete hose/coolant change.

Last edited:
I did mine few month ago all the hoses ,hoses were $290 I did it myself.Its easy when you have the right tool.
DSC01051.JPG

Mohammed

I did mine few month ago all the hoses ,hoses were $290 I did it myself.Its easy when you have the right tool.
DSC01051.JPG

Mohammed

I have done this job numerous times , engine in, engine out, tranny out, every imaginable way and there is no way it is easy no matter what tool you use.

The cost that others have posted is right in line with what I usually charge, as IwantNSX says , I usually give a deal if other work is being done.

I did mine few month ago all the hoses ,hoses were $290 I did it myself.Its easy when you have the right tool...

Mohammed

That tool does not make it any easier to slip the new hoses onto the aluminum pipes. I'll admit that tool does help, but the problem is not the clamps most of the time. The problem is how tight, and sometimes limited the working space is to push them back on.

I tried soaking the hoses in 200 degree water for 10 minutes. This made the hoses hot as hell, but no easier to put on. I soaked the inside with KY Jelly and only gained an inch at best of hose travel. The only way I was able to get them on was to heat the ends with a blow dryer. Heat and push, then heat a little more and push. My hands and arms were on fire come days end!!!!

That tool does not make it any easier to slip the new hoses onto the aluminum pipes. I'll admit that tool does help, but the problem is not the clamps most of the time. The problem is how tight, and sometimes limited the working space is to push them back on.

I tried soaking the hoses in 200 degree water for 10 minutes. This made the hoses hot as hell, but no easier to put on. I soaked the inside with KY Jelly and only gained an inch at best of hose travel. The only way I was able to get them on was to heat the ends with a blow dryer. Heat and push, then heat a little more and push. My hands and arms were on fire come days end!!!!

i knew there was something missing in my toolbox,but i didn't know it was ky jelly...

I did most of these hoses myself and its not the clamps that are hard, its pulling those damn hoses out!!! Sliding them back in is easy, just lube them up, but taking it out omg!! Next time I will pay someone else to do it.......... or maybe not. After a while you tend to forget how much you were cursing during the job.

Yeah, I did just the six big hoses myself a few years ago and even those were a PITA.

I followed LarryB's advice on using the Magic Lube from pool stores and I didn't have any problems putting the hoses on... it was getting the old ones off.

The clamps were easy to take on/off. You have to either cut the hoses off (not recommended), or use some channel-locks to rotate them on the nipples to break the "stiction." Then they slide off OK.

All the other hoses look OK and are small enough where a failure won't be catastrophic (I should notice steam on the inside of my rear hatch at that point). The only other hoses I would like to replace now are the ones at the oil cooler since they see additional heat from the headers.

Dave

... I don't know too many people that have done it. I'll try to call some places tomorrow and get an estimate. In the mean time, would appreciate some feedback of those that have done it.

I had it done because I blew a coolant hose. :mad:

I always recommend that all the hoses get changed with the TB/WP service.

What is wrong with cutting them off? I just put a fresh blade into my box cutter/razor knife. Should be fine as long as you're not chopping on the pipes.

What is wrong with cutting them off? I just put a fresh blade into my box cutter/razor knife. Should be fine as long as you're not chopping on the pipes.
I used few fresh razor blade and to put the hose on i use vesaline and acura manual transmission fluid smear on the tube and the hose.

Mohammed

I had mine done a few months ago and the prices other people have mentioned are just right. Take one look under your car and around your engine bay and you probably won't have any interest in trying to do it yourself.

For hoses on anything, I always use Dow Corning silicon compound (grease), pretty much like LarryB recommending Magic Lube. It lubricates and protects the rubber; using petroleum based lubricants could potentually damage the rubber hoses over the long term. I don't have a tube of KY Jelly, so I'll leave it to the frequent users to determine its chemical composition.:biggrin:

One set of tools I found very handy is hose removal pliers that I got from Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=37909
I caught them on sale for under $10 for the set. These long handled pliers allow you to grip and twist small hoses for easy removal. I used them most recently to remove a piece of fuel line in a very nasty location. A few twists and it came right off, even though I skinned a knuckle or two in the process. Without those pliers, I'm not sure how I would have reached and removed that fuel line, which was in place 26 years!

I puchased the pliers specifically to do the hoses on my NSX, but haven't tackled the project yet.

Last edited:
When I did them on my 91 about 10 years ago it was roughly $1200 parts and labor at the dealer.

Back