• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cost to replace ALL hoses question

The hoses do not need to be replaced ever 6 or 7 years. It took 17 years for mine to get repalced. TB/WP is a different story.

The difference between the NSX and the Ferrari is, you can drive the NSX 100,000 miles between these services and not look back. Get the Ferrari and tell us what maintenance is after 50,000 miles of ownership. $2500-$3500 will seem like a bargain.

That's not likely to happen though... Although i agree for those who pile miles on its great. For me, with my "toy" cars it will always be time and not mileage so the intervals are about equal really. I doubt any sports car I own will ever see 50k miles.

Good heads up on the hoses though; I thought that was excessive, but even on this thread it was mentioned to "do them with TB/WP"

As for an independent, i can't do that really. The trip up to larry would add so much cost and complexity to the work it just makes more sense to take it to Bernie at Davis.

To be honest, having owned NSX's since 2001, Ive found it's WAY easier to find recommended ferrari independents than NSX. It seems if you are within three states of NY there is Larry, then Bernie seems recommended, down south there is Barn man.... But when you can start naming guys, its tough to say "just use an independent". Im sure its different in SoCal, but elsewhere it's tough.

Like down in GA I know many folks have easy access to barnman, but what if he retired? Nsx recommended independents can be counted on one hand really.

Last edited:
But when you can start naming guys, its tough to say "just use an independent". Im sure its different in SoCal, but elsewhere it's tough.

Like down in GA I know many folks have easy access to barnman, but what if he retired? Nsx recommended independents can be counted on one hand really.
Wrong, wrong, and wrong. Just because you aren't aware of them, doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Barnman is in Tennessee, not Georgia. Eiffel is in Georgia. Nabil is in Florida. Chris and his folks at Science of Speed are in Arizona. Larry B in New York. Mechanics Direct outside Boston. Elite in the Twin Cities. California has its own independents; up north there's Don at Hilltop, the ex-Comptech folks in Sacramento, the folks at Foreign Affair, and down south you have Jerry at Greenlight, and Ramon at Niguel, the folks at Autowave, etc.

Some dealers have some of the most experienced NSX techs around - Ted at Muller's in Illinois, Steve/Bill and AJ and John at Brookfield in Wisconsin, Jon Martin in SoCal, Bruce at Niello in Sacramento, the guy in Boulder, Bernie at Davis, and lots of others.

I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, but that's quite a few just off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Well good NSX independants don't grow on trees - not all over the place. Nashville where Barney is - 4.5 hours from Atlanta - good news we have Eiffel right here in town or actually in Marietta. You've named off a few but I'll say one thing about dealers - some have good techs and many don't! Just because someone says - yeah we hav a good master mechanic at Nalley (atlanta) - that's the mechanic that told me I needed a new ABS system for only 5000 - man what a moron. Took it to Eiffel and he flushed and activated the system for 153 smakers. Big difference.

Anyway - there's is also one up in Raliegh that is really good. They are around you just have to look and ask specific questions of the group where you live. You'll find them or at least the closest one to you. That still may require a long drive for some! So NSXtasy and Mlambert are right really.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. Just because you aren't aware of them, doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Barnman is in Tennessee, not Georgia. Eiffel is in Georgia. Nabil is in Florida. Chris and his folks at Science of Speed are in Arizona. Larry B in New York. Mechanics Direct outside Boston. Elite in the Twin Cities. California has its own independents; up north there's Don at Hilltop, the ex-Comptech folks in Sacramento, the folks at Foreign Affair, and down south you have Jerry at Greenlight, and Ramon at Niguel, the folks at Autowave, etc.

Some dealers have some of the most experienced NSX techs around - Ted at Muller's in Illinois, Steve/Bill and AJ and John at Brookfield in Wisconsin, Jon Martin in SoCal, Bruce at Niello in Sacramento, the guy in Boulder, Bernie at Davis, and lots of others.

I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, but that's quite a few just off the top of my head.

Has anyone considered installing shielding like this to extend the hose life? I have aftermarket headers like many of us and am considering installing these on the engine hoses especially the oil cooler hose. Anyone know if this is a good or bad idea and why?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
I think that the oil cooler hoses get hot from inside, not from the outside. One of them has a very 'special' shape which might contribute to breaking. This protection won't prevent changing them out after 10 or 15 years (depending on where the car drives).

Replacing the hoses is not that tough... not like a TB/WP or clutch job that requires a certain level of precision skill. If you can basically get the hoses off and on again, you're golden. The scariest part was opening the bottom drains & worrying they would snap off in the block. I did mine over a weekend and while parts of the job were indeed a PITA, it was enjoyable to poke around the NSX and appreciate from new perspectives the thought & design that went into the car.

For more info: http://nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49775

Back