• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Costco

I have found what I believe to be a good deal on Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position tiers at Costco. The price includes mounting, lifetime balancing, tire disposal and lifetime filling with nitrogen. About the same cost as the Tire Rack without the hassle of shipping and finding a good installer. The best part is that (at least at my local Costco) every October they have a sale that is $80.00 off on a set of 4. So if you need a full set this is a good saving in my opinion. Has any one on Prime bought tires from Costco? What was your experience?

Michael Barlin said:
I have found what I believe to be a good deal on Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position tiers at Costco. The price includes mounting, lifetime balancing, tire disposal and lifetime filling with nitrogen. About the same cost as the Tire Rack without the hassle of shipping and finding a good installer. The best part is that (at least at my local Costco) every October they have a sale that is $80.00 off on a set of 4. So if you need a full set this is a good saving in my opinion. Has any one on Prime bought tires from Costco? What was your experience?

I saw that deal this weekend also, but I don't think I'd Costco mount tires on the wheels for my NSX. On my wifes Lexus, any day.

Costco crew damaged my brother's C32 AMG wheels and refuse to acknowledge it. they told him this is the way it was PROIR to mounting the tires. My brother had ask the tire dept. manager before he took the car in,if they are capable of mount ing the tires WITHOUT damage, he said no problem, the mount thousands of tires and are experts in this field, Well after the tires are mounted, there are couple of gouges on the clear coat around the lips of the wheel. nothing too major, but If you are really picky/anal, then don't take it to COSTCO, they are fine for other regular cars. Their price on tires are unbeatable compare to tirerack.

I could be wrong, but last I checked, Costco had the rear stock size available, but they did not have the fronts.

I probably would not go there even if they did have both fronts and rears.

EIFFEL said:
Costco crew damaged my brother's C32 AMG wheels and refuse to acknowledge it. they told him this is the way it was PROIR to mounting the tires. My brother had ask the tire dept. manager before he took the car in,if they are capable of mount ing the tires WITHOUT damage, he said no problem, the mount thousands of tires and are experts in this field, Well after the tires are mounted, there are couple of gouges on the clear coat around the lips of the wheel. nothing too major, but If you are really picky/anal, then don't take it to COSTCO, they are fine for other regular cars. Their price on tires are unbeatable compare to tirerack.

Same thing here. They (alhambra/CA) put two long deep scratches on my wife car without telling her. I believed it was caused by the tool that presses the tire's sidewall off the rim, but instead, they pressed on the wheel which caused very long deep cuts on the wheel. For a few dollars, it is not worth the risk and hassle.

i like costco. sure they make mistakes. so does everyone else. at least you are not getting ripped off also!
nis350 said:
Same thing here. They (alhambra/CA) put two long deep scratches on my wife car without telling her. I believed it was caused by the tool that presses the tire's sidewall off the rim, but instead, they pressed on the wheel which caused very long deep cuts on the wheel. For a few dollars, it is not worth the risk and hassle.

willabeest said:
i like costco. sure they make mistakes. so does everyone else. at least you are not getting ripped off also!
Don't get us wrong! we all love COSTCO for their low prices on high end goods. (I spend over 60K/yr at costco for business items) just not getting our tires mounted there. They make alot of mistakes on tire mounting, most people don't see it. For the fine care our NSX deserves, NO COSTCO. cheap does not justify imcomptence or mistake.JMHO

willabeest said:

hummm.... if they damaged your wheels without taking responsiblility for it. That can be a very expensive rip off, wouldn't you say?

Hey this seems pretty easy to control - take the asst. mgr. or who ever is their supervisor with you, walk around your car and show them the rims, no scratches, dings, etc.

If you really feel the need, take some pictures of the rims at Costco with the date/time stamp turned on, before they remove/install tires to document the condition of your rims.

Then if they do damage, you have the evidence to prove their condition before Costco touched them, and if necessary take them to Small Claims for the cost to repair/replace. What do you think?

Personally, I probably would not let Costco touch my cars, not worth the hassle for the couple of dollars you might save. Now if it was a couple of hundred dollars, I might do the above and try it on one of my cars other than the NSX.....

my point (FWIW) is that any tire dealer can mess up your wheels. because COSTCO is so big we hear all the stories associated with them. personally i have had more problems with other tire dealers and virtually none with COSTCO. to put it another way your local COSTCO may suck but that does not mean they all do. my local non-COSTCO tire dealership may suck but yours may be great.
Cairo94507 said:
Hey this seems pretty easy to control - take the asst. mgr. or who ever is their supervisor with you, walk around your car and show them the rims, no scratches, dings, etc.

If you really feel the need, take some pictures of the rims at Costco with the date/time stamp turned on, before they remove/install tires to document the condition of your rims.

Then if they do damage, you have the evidence to prove their condition before Costco touched them, and if necessary take them to Small Claims for the cost to repair/replace. What do you think?

Personally, I probably would not let Costco touch my cars, not worth the hassle for the couple of dollars you might save. Now if it was a couple of hundred dollars, I might do the above and try it on one of my cars other than the NSX.....

First off I really appreciate everyone response to my post.

I have to agree with Willabeest and already plan to do what Cairo suggested. I have talked to the manager and plan to bring my digital camera as well a printout of this forum. I have had nothing but great results with Costco and I appreciate there commitment to customer satisfaction. It seems that virtually every tire store has good and bad stories on Prime. Anyone have a negative story about the Tire Rack and one of its approved installers? Or do they have a 100% success rate across the country.

FYI Costco $ 570.00 Tire Rack $624.70 + mounting, balancing and tire disposal.
Can someone tell me what the cost on mounting, balancing and tire disposal has been with your Tire Rack experience? If I don’t get a warm and fuzzy from Costco I will go the Tire Rack route.

I had tires installed at costco. one month later, a valve stem was leaking. the next week another valve stem leaked. So two flats in one week. I put my spare on, and drove to a REAL tire shop to get new valve stems installed on all four tires. 2 out of four tires was not good. Didnt want one to leak on the fwy. Luckily the flats were always in my garage. FYI.

Jack

Michael Barlin said:
Ok I’m convinced! No Costco for me. Thanks for helping me steer clear of a potential disaster. Can someone answer my questions about the tire rack?

I have been ordering tires/wheels from The Tire Rack for 20 years with great success. I have not however used one of their installation partners so I cannot coment on that service. I would find out where there is a high end wheel shop in your area and have them install your new tires. It should cost no more than $20 per wheel.

Good luck.

Michael, since there's noone here can give you any advise in the local area, I will.

Discount tires at Bellevue generally doing good jobs on mounting tires. I had mine mounted there and Polar did. They also offer Road Hazard Warranty which, with the late poor road construstion around S. Seattle and you are running expensive tires, I strongly recommend you buy it. They also matching internet tire rack price, do some print out and have them match it.

However I do have my buddy who owns a body shop, who does tire mounting as well. (He will probably won't be able to help you much on getting tires, but he gives me smoking deals on mounting and balancing tires.) all mine, Polar's and freelance's track tires were mounted there. and get this, they sometime worked over night, so if you have a tight schedule, you may do that after your working hours. (however, I believed he's doing buddy's deal, so no responsibilities, no suing ... bra bra bra...) But, if I trusted him installing my track tires, you shouldn't have any worries on street.

I had also have good experience with one father and son operated small shop in Renton. I believed it's called Mc Millian or something, I couldn't find it in yellow page. Their store are at the Rainier Ave N. and they used to park their Rally prep'ed Subaru(very old, not wrx) outside the store. They do a lot of big blings and Spinners, (hey's it's Renton ;) ) and I had they fix my wheel in my daily driver(in a gettho way, big hammer) in it works fine.

I guessed if you really want the S03, Discount tires at Bellevue will be your choice. They have one in NorthGate and other in Renton even though I don't have any poor experiences with them, people worked at the Bellevue store seems to have more experience and by comparison they worked more on expensive wheels.

*** BTW, if you are looking at the Costco tire installer in Issaquah, unless you don't care about gouges, I have Polar's old S4 rims (on all 4!!) to confirm the bad experiences.
** I also suggest you that go find a shop who don't mind you stand and look at their work progress, so if they did something wrong you'll catch them on the spot. If you had seen how tires mounting work, it's really not rocket science and you can tell your installer is experienced or not right away.

"I guessed if you really want the S03, Discount tires at Bellevue will be your choice. They have one in NorthGate and other in Renton even though I don't have any poor experiences with them, people worked at the Bellevue store seems to have more experience and by comparison they worked more on expensive wheels. "

Beware of Renton Discount Tire. They put a small gouge in my new Iforged wheels when mounting them and claimed it was there already instead of coming clean. I didn't take before pics so I had no leverage. Forget them and go to a better shop...

Michael, like I stated before, the Discount tires Bellevue store will match your price on Internet, the trick is that try to call instead of walk in. There's one time I called in the busy time, and maybe I wasn't talking to the store manager or it was just someone not supposed to answering phone call (it's not his job..) He refused to give me any deal at all. I called next day and the guy I talked to seems a lot more professional and he matched price. One thing You have to decide is that if you bring in your own tires, I believed you can still buy road hazard warranty from Discount tire, but it will cost you $20-$25 per tire. If you factor that in, if Discount tire's deal's in $100 range w/ tire rack, you not losing any money.

The Sales tax basically a wash comparing to Shipping charges. I believed Tire rack's shipping is around $80 for 4 tires.

There are others around that can give even better deals. ;)

Good point on the tax, the fact that costco may NOT have the new overhead touchless machines, or the fact that the senior guy has 3 months senority. Buy out of state (taxes) and spend the $75 and take them to a high end mounting shop.

$60 off coupon: (4) Michelin or BF Goodrich Tires @ Costco

Costco has a coupon for $60 off a purchase of (4) Michelin or BF Goodrich tires... this coupon is in a flyer-book sent out to American Express card members (?) or Costco members (?)... it has literally 100's of other date-specific Costco coupons or specials.

Valid: Jan 09 - Jan 29

scan00052oi.jpg

Time to time, Costco has tires priced very competitively as evident in this thread... :cool:

I haven't had to replace my tires on the NSX yet but I got my truck tires there recently. I had a tough time getting them to put them on because I had 02 Toyota wheels on there which were an inch bigger in diameter than the ones that came on my 97 Tacoma. They said (after talking to three diff people there) that they can only deviate 3% from the placard on size and I was going slightly over that.
If you have anything but stock size rims on your car you're probably out of luck on your NSX anyway. I won't even try to have them do the NSX when its time cause I have 02+ wheels on mine so they'll really pitch a fit about it. I'd take the wheels off the car and just take them the wheels and watch them do every one and if they scratch/damage them they'd buy me a new set.

Back