• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cota 2015!

My Cota experience!

So I was talked into tracking the nsx at cota and was glad I did. I'll spare myself from retelling what Dave said on how great the facilities at cota are, and stick to my weekend.

Tracking a mildly cooled NSX in September might have not been the best idea. With ambient temps in the high 90's and probably 105+ on track. The nsx did not like it. In the afternoon coolant was in the 225-230 range and intake temp was 120-140. I have a Seibon NSX-R hood with a DF duct as well. My coolant is 2 years old. Maybe water wetter and more water ratio would help. I had no issues with brakes xp10/xp8 but i'm only hitting 125-130 on the back straight and braking at 225-250 mark. (i'm too chicken to go deeper) I was constantly fiddling with tire pressures as well. I started the morning at 28/32 cold and ended up with 36/42 after one session!

As for times, I was putting around and managed to do a 2.47, with an optimal of 2.45. I had trouble getting a solid line after the esses and 13-15 and i mostly rode in 3rd and could of done some corners in 2nd if i wasn't timid. I'd figure i could eek out a 2.43-4. Two of my instructor friends took it around and ran 2.44's with optimal of 2.41.

I'll upload the video that i was able to save, my video card went kaput.

I also managed to swap cars with my friend in his 12c on NT01's. Now that was fun :biggrin:....150+ on the back stretch passing your own car was a surreal feeling. I hope to go back when it's cooler.

Nice!!

btw.. what tires were you on?

Thanks. I'm a noob compared to you guys.

The car was definitely faster in the morning. Even at 85-90 with unbearable humidity. I think with better driver and 75-80 temps the car will be quick.

I'm on 215/255 federals.

130!!! That's hot. I wish I had a ctsc, having to drag race people who give half assed point bys without lifting sucks.

I did get complimented on how my car was one of the best sounding out there. I'll take that as a compliment considering the hardware out there.

Stock radiator? Stock engine/power? Those coolant temps are a bit high..

Stock radiator. Air scoop, drop in filter, test pipes and exhaust. About 255-260 rwhp with cats. I haven't checked the overflow bottle to see if there was cracks. I don't think there are, I didn't smell any coolant when I opened the hatch for cool downs

Yeah, I can't imagine if I ran a stock hood. And yup, stock front bumper.

I'll post pictures once the track photographer finishes them.

Do you have an oil cooler? If not I would get one, and consider an upgraded radiator.

EDIT - where are you measuring the water temp?

Last edited:
No I don't. I'm kinda hesitant on what seems like building another track car. Lol. I'll look into an oil cooler, and definitely an upgrade radiator. Hopefully there is one that uses factory fans, so I can still use the hood duct.

No I don't. I'm kinda hesitant on what seems like building another track car. Lol. I'll look into an oil cooler, and definitely an upgrade radiator. Hopefully there is one that uses factory fans, so I can still use the hood duct.
It's a slippery slope. Maybe you'll be able to accept tracking your car in cold temps, though if you go too cold you'll have tire temp issues haha

I'm with Billy... a vented hood is a great place to start.

It's a slippery slope. Maybe you'll be able to accept tracking your car in cold temps, though if you go too cold you'll have tire temp issues haha

I'm with Billy... a vented hood is a great place to start.

Lol. It's Texas, i shouldn't have any issues.

EDIT - where are you measuring the water temp?

I was using an obd2 reader Ultra Gauge. Its like a Scan Gauge competitor.

Side note! Hey Billy, it is worth it to install a 2-3 inch splitter in place of the oem lip? I'd figure it'll be easier to mount the splitter to the bumper itself than fiddle with installing it on the lip itself.

My NSX did great with a Koyo radiator in 100F track days. It drops right in with no fiddling.

That's great to know. Now to decide oil cooler or radiator. My next Cota event is Nov. 1st. "Shouldn't" be too hot.

MVP Track Time (www.MVPTrackTime.com) will be at COTA February 26-28, 2016. Send us your contact information at [email protected] if you'd like to be added to our contact list.

Feff

Great! i'll send an email.

Here are some pictures

ADiOj4j.jpg

AOxh9a2.jpg

DrrIiiR.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Back