• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

could pick up '91 NSX converted to targa, opinions?

The seller says the previous owner had the '91 converted to a targa at some place in florida, says he will get me a link to the company's site tomorrow. I know the stiffer coupe chassis is preferable for racing, but will a coupe converted to targa be as stiff as a normal targa? is this a safe procedure to do to a coupe? Thanks!

Do a search. This topic is has been discussed many times. Just save money until you can afford a targa NSX.. believe me, it'll be cheaper in the long run...

Hellspawn said:
is this a safe procedure to do to a coupe? Thanks!
How much do you value your life, and are you a gambling man (or woman)? Unless the company can provide concrete documentation that structural integrity has not been compromised, as well as actual crash test data, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Hellspawn said:
is this a safe procedure to do to a coupe?
No.

It also won't have anywhere near the structural integrity of an NSX-T from the factory.

Prices on the NSX-T (the real ones) have dropped to the point where you can get a nice one in the mid to high thirties. And you can probably turn around and sell it for the same price you buy it for - which will not be the case with a "targa conversion".

Don't do it. If you want a removable roof panel (which is NOT called a targa, not on an NSX), get a real NSX-T.

I was afraid of this, I suspected the rigidity wouldn't be as good as a regular targa and might not be safe. Thanks for the advice. I actually would prefer a coupe cause this will be a track/street car, but I am in the process of selling my modded '01 Lightning and this guy wanted to trade me for his NSX. So tempting with 18/19in volks, intake, exhaust, chip, WW side skirts... oh well :(

Hellspawn said:
I was afraid of this, I suspected the rigidity wouldn't be as good as a regular targa and might not be safe. Thanks for the advice. I actually would prefer a coupe cause this will be a track/street car, but I am in the process of selling my modded '01 Lightning and this guy wanted to trade me for his NSX. So tempting with 18/19in volks, intake, exhaust, chip, WW side skirts... oh well :(
Aside from the fact that the body has been hacked apart, those mods (with the exception of the exhaust) would not have been any benefit at all on the track...

Back