• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Courage that you probably didn't hear about

You're a 19 year old kid.

You're critically wounded and dying in the jungle somewhere in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam .

It’s November 11, 1967.

LZ (landing zone) X-ray.

Your unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered the MedEvac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.

Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll
never see them again.

As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.

You look up to see a Huey coming in. But ... It doesn't seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it.

Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.

He's not MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.

Even after the MedEvacs were ordered not to come. He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety.

And, he kept coming back!!13 More times!! Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm.

He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Captain Ed Freeman, United States Air Force, died last Wednesday at the age of 70, in Boise, Idaho .

May God Bless and Rest His Soul.

i'm not at all surprised that you'd post something like that here, today, doug - i was just thinking of you / this particular theme earlier this morning when i read about the oldest living medal of honor winner who had just passed away. (brief summary of his actions and story are here: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/27/john-finn-hero-at-pearl-harbor-dies-at-100).

reminds me of this bit of speech from henry v:

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his
blood with me, Shall be my brother; be ne'er so vile, This day shall gentle
his condition. And gentlemen in England now abed, Shall think themselves
accursed they were not here, And hold their manhood's cheap whiles any
speaks, That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."
- William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")

thx for reminding us of this guy and others like him, doug.

If I'm not mistaken the oldest MOH recipient from WWII died yesterday. These veterans and their sacrifices cannot be overestimated or over appreciated.

I hope we remember our true heroes this Memorial Day and give thanks for our men and women in uniform.

Guys,

I found this letter in a cigar box just before my Grandfather died. I know some of this doesn't make any sense, but that just shows you how cold, tired and just 'out of it' they were.

He was a tail gunner on the "Flopper Stopper" (had a scantily dressed girl painted on the side holding up her bra with one hand) and flew 21 missions (believe that's the number). He said that every time they went out, they came back with about half the planes they left with. The only time anyone ever heard him talk about ANYTHING war related was just before he died. He never talked much at all actually. It was very neat for us to find this as it showed a side of him that none of us ever knew.

It's written on three small pieces of paper, and you can barely read the writing. It starts out legible and degrades from there. You can tell he was freezing and probably about to pass out. The question marks are words I can't make out.

December 3, 1943,

Hey Darling:

Have you missed me terribly for the last three days? Honey I'm sorry I have not written but this time it couldn't be helped. I got back tonight and had three letters from you. Mighty sweet too - Cause I was blue all tired out. But I'm very lucky to be safe- You and the good Lord saved us.

We made a trip over Germany and had trouble. That's about all I can tell you. I'm so happy to be back- and your picture; you were still smiling.

I lost some good friends- one my bed mate. These boys came over with us, and we were together in the States. Never have heard what happened. And I feel so sorry for their poor wives. Most of them married- my bed mate 6 years- and his wife wrote him six or more letters a day. But that's what happens in War.

And Baby, maybe the news is good, but it seems to me that the damned Germans haven't weakened a bit. It gets tougher every time we go over. I'll surely be glad to hear when it is over. So don't you ????? slacken up, cause the end isn't here.

I sure am wet and how cold for the last day or two. Maybe we will get a rest so our nerves can relax. I can see now why Combat Men are half nuts. And their hair turns grey. It's the worst thing imaginable. Especially when you see your buddies go, and you can't do anything about it. I suppose this is enough.

Honey ain't I done told you to send me some candy? Just that enough request- or what kind of request do you need? No darling, your mail is not censored- so write anything you please, and more than one page. Be sweet Sugar, I just got to get some rest and maybe get warm- Why can't You be here?

Bye bye Sweet- I Love Love Love You, All the time, I do.

- Smitty

P.S. I'd like to have some thin writing paper like you use, also some of your ????????[]

The censors or someone X'd out the line where he said 'send candy' and put a check mark on the line about sending the writing paper.

Just thought I'd share. Have a great Memorial Day everyone. Be safe!

Jonathan

Wow what a great story, thank you very much for sharing that. The true heroes of our military. God Bless everyone that has helped give us what we have today!

I hope we remember our true heroes this Memorial Day and give thanks for our men and women in uniform.

Tomorrow morning at 7:30 am my Scout Band will perform the opening ceremonies and flag ceremony at the Golden Gate National Cemetery. The most touching moment is the performance of "Echo Taps" from on the mound.

Tomorrow morning at 7:30 am my Scout Band will perform the opening ceremonies and flag ceremony at the Golden Gate National Cemetery. The most touching moment is the performance of "Echo Taps" from on the mound.

Good man Ken.

ken,

i'd be interested (as i'm sure others would) in hearing your thoughts about this morning's event... how the kids felt about the ceremony before / after, etc. also, you've participated in these types of public events for a number of years, so i'm curious about how your perception of them / participating in them has changed - if at all - over the years.

if you have time to respond, we're listening :)

GOD BLESS our ARMED FORCES on this Memorial Day, and most of all .......... Everyday.

if you have time to respond, we're listening :)

These kids are a really good group. Two of them graduated the day before and were up all night at Grad-Night. They were bussed back to the school at 7:00 am and managed to show up at 7:15 for warm-up. Three others came back from college and played with us just for this event.

Jackie Speier came and spoke. Think what you may about Jackie, but I recall her being wounded in Guyana in the Jim Jones incident when Leo Ryan was shot and killed. An Eagle Scout, veteran and father of a fallen soldier spoke about service to country. There was an audience of about two thousand eager Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Veterans and parents. It was a very moving event.

And that is the pre-Memorial Day flag placing event, not the official Memorial Day presentations.

I always try to impress upon the kids the importance and gravity of the morning, and it isn't lost on any of them.

This is just one of many patriotic events we do in venues like the VA hospital, the USS Hornet, state parks and the like. I, and all the members, really enjoy our service.

Attachments

• Mem Day.jpg
    Mem Day.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 36
These kids are a really good group. Two of them graduated the day before and were up all night at Grad-Night. They were bussed back to the school at 7:00 am and managed to show up at 7:15 for warm-up. Three others came back from college and played with us just for this event.

Jackie Speier came and spoke. Think what you may about Jackie, but I recall her being wounded in Guyana in the Jim Jones incident when Leo Ryan was shot and killed. An Eagle Scout, veteran and father of a fallen soldier spoke about service to country. There was an audience of about two thousand eager Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Veterans and parents. It was a very moving event.

And that is the pre-Memorial Day flag placing event, not the official Memorial Day presentations.

I always try to impress upon the kids the importance and gravity of the morning, and it isn't lost on any of them.

This is just one of many patriotic events we do in venues like the VA hospital, the USS Hornet, state parks and the like. I, and all the members, really enjoy our service.
thx very much, ken - for continuing to participate / lead kids in events such as these *and* for the field trip report :) ... i bolded / italicized the part that "spoke to me" the most.

who is the oboist next to you? (oboe, right?)

Thanks Ken.

Yes, oboe.

Sandra Moore is an East Bay professional who plays in an evening wind orchestra with me at Ohlone College.

She volunteers on occasion when she can find the time.

Last edited:
Back