• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cover/not cover in the rain for 1-2 months?

I'd be needing to park the NSX outside (rain most of the time) for 1-2 months, would it be better to cover or not cover it? Is there any part on the NSX that can get rust? Many thanks.

- Nguyen

Find a reputible Storage place to keep it inside...Wet cover on the paint for long periods is not good...sitting outside not good either..Good luck

If you must leave it outside, I would get a microfiber cover from hrant and a stormproof cover from coverking (you can find it cheaper at other websites). The weathershield is absolutely amazing, it wont let a single drop through. The material is not ultra soft or ding protective though, so for windy situations you should put on a soft undercover (i.e. hrant's microfiber one). Of course, a cover lock is a must.

I would say that finding good storage is a better solution though... I just use my garage. :wink:

zahntech said:
Find a reputible Storage place to keep it inside...Wet cover on the paint for long periods is not good...sitting outside not good either..Good luck

I agree, rent a storage unit. What do they cost? $20 or something/month? That's what a half a tank of gas costs which you are saving by not driving it, am I right?

I had my car covered by using Honda OEM cover. It rained for about a week, and the only thing I got was slight moisture on the car after I took it off. No harm done.

redshift said:
I would get a microfiber cover from hrant...

Please tell me more about this microfibre cover from Hrant???

I have always wanted a cover like this one...:

Attachments

• Cover Re-size.jpg
    Cover Re-size.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 606
The garage space is needed for working on another car. I go out and look at her now and then, so I can't bear putting her in storage away from me. THanks guys.

= Nguyen

Nguyen Nguyen said:
I'd be needing to park the NSX outside (rain most of the time) for 1-2 months, would it be better to cover or not cover it? Is there any part on the NSX that can get rust? Many thanks.

- Nguyen

Just remember that the OEM NSX car cover is NOT for outside use at all. It is an indoor dust cover. Leaving the OEM unit on your car can harm your paint, and your car cover.

I agree with Joe. There is no harm in leaving the car in the rain but don't use the OEM cover or any cover not made for the outdoors/rain.

If you need one of the best water-resistent cover made by Coverking, I am a dealer for them and can give you a 10% NSXCA discount on that product also.

Here are descriptions of their two covers of possible interest:
1) Stormproof (Indoor/Outdoor Use)
stormproof_small.jpg

The culmination of over a decade of material engineering, it has only recently been possible to manufacture the microscopic yarns which go into this advanced micro-fiber Custom Car Cover material. Only one textile mill in the world was able to meet Coverking's specifications - and although challenged by Coverking's design, the results are truly a triumph for car cover users! Stormproof is UNCOATED and UNTREATED this means that even after months or years of use, it will have the same properties! Stormproof feels more like an expensive golf jacket, yet is tested to be the MOST WATER RESISTANT and (because there are no coatings) the MOST BREATHABLE.

2) Satin Stretch (Indoor Use Only- this is the same material as the Ferrari factory covers)
satinstretch_small.jpg

Satin Stretch is the SOFTEST fabric available, and has Lycra yarns to hug every contour of a vehicle. Blind stitching results in invisible seams.

If you want more info on them:
Coverking Covers

Last edited:
pbassjo said:
Leaving the car outside will not damage it. Don't park it under a trees or where birds can perch over it and bomb it. Keep it clean and free from leaves and debris.
Cars sit on car lots and out in the open before final sale often for much longer.
It's supposed to be outside. It was made to be outside. That's why it has a roof, windows and wipers.
It's not a pizza, it's a car.

Yes... But... When they are new and in storage lots before final shipment to dealers they are covered in a white plastic... UV sunlight does nasty things to paint, plastic, rubber and leather over time...

Now I have noted that cheap ordinary cars like Corolla's, Hyundai's etc, just have a white adhesive on the top surfaces of the car like roofs, bonnet and boot (trunk). But the expensive luxury vehicles with leather interiors like BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar etc ALL come in what looks like heat shrink white plastic covering the whole car...

I know this because one of the sites I worked on for 12 months was next to the dockyards in Sydney and I got to see how they arrive, store and transport all new cars...

I am not saying that cars are not meant to be outside, I'm saying that parking a car outside accelerates it's deterioration. All you have to do is look at a car that is garaged in comparison to one that is parked outside...

Car covers come in a variety of fabrics, including cotton, poly-cotton blends, layered fabrics like Evolution 4, and others.

My understanding is that there are two kinds of covers that are not suitable for outdoor use: (1) covers that do not "breathe" and keep moisture trapped underneath, without the ability to evaporate; and (2) soft covers (e.g. all cotton) which are not all that strong and might not stand up to the wind and other aspects of outdoor use as well as the layered and poly-cotton fabrics.

I thought that the OEM cover is either poly-cotton or a layered fabric; in either case, you should be able to use it outdoors. Those who claim otherwise, can you please provide more information why you say that?

nsxtasy said:
Car covers come in a variety of fabrics, including cotton, poly-cotton blends, layered fabrics like Evolution 4, and others.

My understanding is that there are two kinds of covers that are not suitable for outdoor use: (1) covers that do not "breathe" and keep moisture trapped underneath, without the ability to evaporate; and (2) soft covers (e.g. all cotton) which are not all that strong and might not stand up to the wind and other aspects of outdoor use as well as the layered and poly-cotton fabrics.

I thought that the OEM cover is either poly-cotton or a layered fabric; in either case, you should be able to use it outdoors. Those who claim otherwise, can you please provide more information why you say that?

The OEM cover that I have appears to be regular cotton. Very soft and similar to flannel on the inside. The outside is similar to very soft denim, for lack of a better comparison. It's definitely not up to outdoor duty if there is rain. I can see it getting nasty inside and outside quick.

pbassjo said:
The plastic is to protect it from abrasion not UV. The paint is not so fragile and photochemically reactive that it can't stand a month or two out in your driveway.

Abrasion from what?

nsxtasy said:

There is also the OEM cover which is made out of GORE-TEX which is both water proof and can "breathe" as well... $$$ so not many around

nsxtasy said:

I've used the OEM cover in the rain (not by choice) when I covered my car prior to a track event the next day but it rained that night and the cover was all wet, the car was all wet underneath. The cover breathes but is not water resistent so I would not use it outdoors if you expect rain or worst, snow.

Since my apt complex only has covered parking, I put the Weathershield HD car cover on my nsx. So far, its been great. Cleaning it can kind of be a pain in the rear. I did my research when buying my car cover, and it seemed to be the best overall car cover(and one of the most expensive). Perfect for the Texas heat, as well as the nasty rain. Although expensive, I think it was well worth the price.

white93nsx said:
I've used the OEM cover in the rain (not by choice) when I covered my car prior to a track event the next day but it rained that night and the cover was all wet, the car was all wet underneath. The cover breathes but is not water resistent so I would not use it outdoors if you expect rain or worst, snow.
I disagree. The purpose of a car cover has nothing to do with protecting the car from getting wet. It's possible for any car to get wet when covered, either from rain (which some covers protect against, more or less, and others don't) or from condensation. The main purpose of a car cover is to protect the car from sunlight, which fades the finish over time. Depending on the material used, some car covers can also protect to varying degrees against tree sap, bird droppings, small door dings, and curious neighbors.

A cover that allows the car to get wet, such as a poly-cotton blend, can be used outdoors as well as indoors. Been there, done that; it's no big deal. A car cover (ANY kind of car cover, even the water resistant ones) is going to be wet right after it rains, and messy to put away (in the plastic garbage bag you keep in the car for that contingency). If you're using the cover on a short term basis, you might not want to cover it when rain is predicted, if you want to avoid the mess.

Hello...for whatever it's worth I recently purchased a Satin Stretch Indoor Cover from CoverKing. It is the SOFTEST Fabric Available, made from some type of Lycra fabric (it has a sheen to it). It fits every contour of the vehicle. It has 'almost' invisible seams.

NSX Under Cover 2.JPG

I sold car accessory products for years and this BY FAR is the best made Custom Indoor Cover I have ever seen. The fabric is like nothing you've ever seen too. Mine was made in Red to match the car and draws up conversation from everyone who sees it!

wasenda said:
Hello...for whatever it's worth I recently purchased a Satin Stretch Indoor Cover from CoverKing. It is the SOFTEST Fabric Available, made from some type of Lycra fabric (it has a sheen to it). It fits every contour of the vehicle. It has 'almost' invisible seams.

View attachment 24612

I sold car accessory products for years and this BY FAR is the best made Custom Indoor Cover I have ever seen. The fabric is like nothing you've ever seen too. Mine was made in Red to match the car and draws up conversation from everyone who sees it!

Hey Wasenda, is it custom fit to fit the NSX? Or are there different sizes to suit many cars?

Mine was custom fit to the NSX with a custom color. It took about 2 1/2 weeks to get made!

My understanding is that they have templates for most common cars. There is a posting up above of a fellow Prime member (Mike) that sells them and gives a NSXCA Discount (10%):

www.detailingdynamics.com

or you can go to the CoverKing web site:

http://www.coverking.com/customcarcovers.html

They really are good!!!

Back