• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Crazy Spring Rates....

So I recently swapped out my Type S Zero suspension with a set of Advance coilovers. I swore that the S Zero suspension was the best EVER. It handled like no other and seemed perfect! My main gripe was that is sat waaaaaay to high. Not good when you're rolling on NA1 R 15/16's.... And so when I had the chance to buy some Advance coilovers for super super cheap I jumped at the opportunity.

It turns out that the spring rate is 650/1100! Sounded and felt like an accident waiting to happen..... Btw i'm running both NSX-R chassis bars, a 1 1/8" Dali front sway bar, and an Oyukama Carbing rear strut bar.

So today I took the rear sway bar OFF and lo and behold the car handles like a dream. John, the owner of Advance was right!

I'm just wondering if it's okay to run it like this and if there is anything else I can do besides swapping out springs? I had the car on some pretty tight twisties today and it felt a LOT better than with the rear swaybar, so i'm thinking I should be okay.....

Sway bars, springs, etc. are all means to an end, they don't define handling. With the stiffer spring in the rear, the car is much more resistant to roll in the rear, so the front turns in, and the rear end pushes you everywhere. By adding a very thick sway bar in the rear, with these springs, the car was probably a handful, with way too much oversteer (I have noticed oversteer with this suspension and OEM swaybars). By removing this very thick rear sway bar, and adding a thicker bar in the front, the car is now more neutural, and easier to drive. The challange will be trying to find a front sway bar, or other means of stiffening the front, that compliments the suspension - advance recommend their fender braces, but a sway bar will have a similar effect.

From what I understand, having sent a few emails back and forth to advance, these rates are the result of significant track time on an nsx running OEM sway bars, with advance front fender braces.

Hmm..... If they did it with just oem sway bars in the front + their braces then my THICK swaybar + the NSX-R chassis bars should do the trick. I didn't think about it but I guess I could adjust the front sway bar to the stiffest setting. I think it's on the least stiffest now.....

Either way taking off that rear sway bar seemed to have solved 90% of my oversteer problem......

I've read in more than one place that, for the NSX with "race" level springs and ride height, that you want a super thick front sway bar and no rear sway bar.

Like Scorp965 said, there isn't a right and wrong with sway bars or springs and shocks, etc, its all a means to an end. Stiff springs help reduce body roll and let you have a lower ride height without bottoming out. Sway bars further reduce roll while not affecting ride height or the bumps in the roads. What ever combo gives the best results is the right one and it sounds like you are towards a "right one".

If you still have, particularly, power on oversteer, you might go stiffer in the front sway bar, if you can. That is what I'm sorting now.

BTW, how do your stiff springs/shocks affect normal ride? And, who are the vendors for super stiff spring/shock combos? (I'm not looking for the "mild street" improvement stuff.)

If you still have, particularly, power on oversteer, you might go stiffer in the front sway bar, if you can. That is what I'm sorting now.

BTW, how do your stiff springs/shocks affect normal ride? And, who are the vendors for super stiff spring/shock combos? (I'm not looking for the "mild street" improvement stuff.)

Haha, unfortunately I can't go any bigger on the front sway. We barely slid in the Dali 1 1/18th inch...... I'll have to get it adjusted to the stiffest setting and hope that does the trick....

As for the super stiff spring/shock combo, my new setup is actually more comfy that my previous Type S Zero suspension which has a spring rate of high 400's/low 300's if memory serves me correct. That and the Type R (same thing essentially) are jaw shattering if your car is stripped out like mine. On a full interior NSX it's fine...... Same with the Advance suspension. I had the privilege of testing out the suspension on a "normal" street car and my stripped out "track car" and it seemed waaaaaay softer despite the stiffer spring rates.

As for vendors it looks like most people either go with the Type R, Comptech Pro, or Moton setups.... There are also a handful of high end Japanese tuners who offer custom race setups.

Here is the link to the Advance website: http://www.advance-jp.com/nsx-parts.htm

You might want to browse Yahoo Auctions Japan. There always great deals to be had on what would normally be very very ($3k+) expensive new setups..... Just make sure you know what you're buying....

I've read in more than one place that, for the NSX with "race" level springs and ride height, that you want a super thick front sway bar and no rear sway bar.

True but most Race teams use the the higher spring rate in the front. Like CT, Moton, ect.... It's 1000+ front springs and 600+ Rear :smile:

fwiw, these are the fender braces:

fendersap.jpg

sidebar.jpg

http://www.gt-rom.net/gtrom/advance/sidebar.htm

True but most Race teams use the the higher spring rate in the front. Like CT, Moton, ect.... It's 1000+ front springs and 600+ Rear :smile:

Mmm. I suspect this must be like those black sheep in Scotland.

A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer are riding a train through Scotland.

The engineer looks out the window, sees a black sheep, and exclaims, "Hey! All the sheep in Scotland are black!"

The physicist looks out the window and corrects the engineer, "Strictly speaking, all we know is that there's at least one black sheep in Scotland."

The mathematician looks out the window and corrects the physicist, " Strictly speaking, all we know is that is that at least one side of one sheep is black in Scotland."

The mathematician looks out the window and corrects the physicist, " Strictly speaking, all we know is that is that at least one side of one sheep is black in Scotland."

LOL :tongue: , John what are you running?
I just know talking W/Rob (DAL), Shad, and Dave they seem to be running a large front bar and no rear bar or a stock '91 (skinny) rear sway.

The Japanese seem to package the coil-overs with high rate front springs but I've read a lot of posts that people are swapping the springs front to rear.

I have a Moton 2 way set in 600+ front and 400+ rear running a 1 1/8" front bar that's going on Dave's car right now so we can run the 29th-30th weekend at ThunderHill. CT still doesn't have my 3.5 motor together :rolleyes: So now I have to dive Dave's little Super Charged grocery getter :biggrin:

I just know talking W/Rob (DAL), Shad, and Dave they seem to be running a large front bar and no rear bar or a stock '91 (skinny) rear sway.

The Japanese seem to package the coil-overs with high rate front springs but I've read a lot of posts that people are swapping the springs front to rear.

I have a Moton 2 way set in 600+ front and 400+ rear running a 1 1/8" front bar that's going on Dave's car right now so we can run the 29th-30th weekend at ThunderHill. CT still doesn't have my 3.5 motor together :rolleyes: So now I have to dive Dave's little Super Charged grocery getter :biggrin:

from what I've seen the Japanese aftermarket likes higher rates for the rear.I think John is beiing a little cheeky,but In general if I had to drive a car on the track I would rather drive with the higher rates in the front.I have driven a car with 10/12 kgmm and had to stifen the front rebound and loosen the back rebound to compensate for what I felt was oversteer fwiw.

..........I think John is being a little cheeky.........

John is my JDM Hero :biggrin:

This is a great discussion as TiDave is talking with JRZ right now setting a few people up. Last I hear it's a 3-way set but he's just trying to compensate and he likes saying 3-way for any reason :wink: .

Now that we have Shad competing 3 different cars I know he's looking for every advantage so the slow speed dampening of the 3-ways should help BUT we can always go 4-way for the truly hardcore suspension geeks :eek:

Building a race car is easy. Tuning it to actually be fast or ubber optimized for a specific application is the hard/expensive/time consuming part. In a pro context, these R&D expenses typically far eclipse the cost of some bolt on parts. Several Porsche members have assured me they quickly turn a $100,000 vehicle into a $650,000 one. Now just think how many more cup cars and data is available there and how many more resources these guys have over you.

Like I said, in NSX Land, yeah I think you might want to count the sheep in the flock and assess the true extent of their pro motorsports experience more carefully... especially before taking blanket chassis setup advice as "you need to swap your springs".

For club enthusiasts... you just need to have a decent starting point, from which you can tweak from. For me that was about 1100lbs rear and 850lbs front last year. As far as setup theory- in my case I consulted opinions of people I trust on my specific application, and thus have the stiffer spring on the back due to the ME layout, high amount of down-force being generated with my aero package, and the split. It worked out to be remarkably neutral and highly predictable. I am still making small tweaks but out of the box not bad at all.

Theory suggests that the correct total amount of "anti-roll" is inclusive of spring rate, which complicates the issue but it is still safe to assume that it is better to start with less spring rate than too much when placing your order (assuming you had one set to choose from).

For me "1000-1100lb" range is absolutely not a problem. The JRZ's are valved for it, and our track was just re-paved and I suspect pro cars will be running higher rates from what I've garnered. To me blasting down the new straight away at PIR feels like driving on lightly rippled glass. I can feel the slight bob of the aero. At Pacific on the other hand clearing T1 I can barely see straight my head was so jarred in the braking zone. Bremerton feels to me like I could go way softer in rain.

I hope to pick-up some different rates here shortly so I can play and gain a wider understanding of the influences how some of these changes might impact things. Unfortunately, without the benefit of easy access due to the out-board stock design, it tends to make data collection slightly less relevant as you span events.

I will say this. I've read a lot of generic suspension books and heard a lot of opinions on the matter of rates. To me, the essential concept is to maximize grip through adequate suspension travel at each wheel. A heavier spring rate makes it difficult for an individual wheel to react to changes in road surface under roll so contact is lost. Likewise, too soft and you will have excessive roll, inconsistent aero, and other penalties. You must consider the suspension frequency and wheel rate. You have to look at the total equation of how everything is coming together.

Having said that, there is still no absolute correct number or recipe with two different race cars. Even the pro F1 teams with hundreds of hours on shakers don't always get it right.

My recommendation is forget about Mr Foo's in-box spring recommendations. Everyone has some seemingly irrelevant opinion on the matter about what rates "are best" or how best to setup your race car (which they probably have never driven).

Unless you have a pro chassis setup engineer handy trackside... what I've found is to just use your own vehicles specific setup characteristics, driver preference, course configuration, conditions, testing, feel, transponder, peers, common sense etc... to guide you. If in doubt about what your butt is telling you try the under-appreciated strap in a better driver mod to get a second opinion.

Look. NSX Prime has many different enthusiasts with vastly different setups, prep levels, budgets, and goals. No one shoe fits all. You know that stock cars run different rates left to right on the front at banked speedways? Aware that one rate may lend itself to better turn-in characteristics while sacrificing apex and exit speed or even braking characteristics? One can be fantastic at one course and horrible at another? Great in the wet and sucks in the dry?

In road racing some competitors may run very, very stiff, while another competitor may opt for very, very light springs with no rear sway bar. Guess what, they BOTH work. To a certain extent it's all in your driving style and what you like.

All things being equal, no one driver is going to be perfectly comfortable with the same setup anyway.

The crazy spring rates are the ones you get from some guy on a car forum that doesn't even have the common sense to ask where in the hell you are driving your car.

My 0.2

and just to confirmed that, I remembered Japanese drivers favor oversteering setup. (they are great, but at the very top level competition... Lets just say J.drivers aren't as competitive as their products comparing to other european countries.)

Sato is the one who likes his cars, yes, even F1, to be a little more oversteering than most would like.

John ,once again a beautifuly writen and carefuly crafted post,but you still have your springs bass ackwards:biggrin: At your next track day change nothing but drive in reverse,and I'm sure your times will improve:tongue:

I am running 1000 fronts and 600 rear springs on Koni 3012 dampers, 1 1/8" front sway and a stock rear sway with R-888 tires and aggressive alignment.

I am pretty happy with the ride comfort, just requires damping adjustments to soften things up for the street.

Remember, spring rate needs to be matched with damping. Most street shock do not have enough damping/adjustment to work with heavy rate springs. If you put to stiff a spring on a softly damped shock, the car will bounce like a pogo stick.

Remember, spring rate needs to be matched with damping. Most street shock do not have enough damping/adjustment to work with heavy rate springs. If you put to stiff a spring on a softly damped shock, the car will bounce like a pogo stick.

The advance coil overs are a good package, I have noticed zero pogo effect, and have been using them for nearly a year now. Its a custom spec bilstein threaded damper, with eibach springs, here is a picture (the rears are on the left, with the tender spring):

nsx-19.jpg

They're a bit stiff on bad sections of road, but eliminate a huge amount of body roll, and are very drivable even on a day to day basis; also, no 'clunking' over bumps, as some people have commented on the comptech pro kit.

My spirited nsx driving is limited to oem dampers with eibachs, bilsteins with eibachs, comptech springs on koni's, and the tein RE - I have driven the nsx-r suspension, but only on city streets, so it would be unfair to draw conclusions on anything other than ride comfort. This is the best suspension setup I have driven for the nsx, I would certainly recommend it to others.

They are 900 fronts and 525 rears.

Wow,

I don't want to say what we are running but its alot more than all of these spring rates. We are running 200 lbs more in the front than the rears and our rears are more than is even mentioned in this thread and my cars 2400lbs is stuck like its on rails and is totaly neutral with no over or under steer at all.:biggrin: Shad Knows as he did it:cool: I also have the regular Comptech sway bars front and rear and my Comptech pro shocks still on the car

Steve

Wow,

I don't want to say what we are running but its alot more than all of these spring rates. We are running 200 lbs more in the front than the rears and our rears are more than is even mentioned in this thread and my cars 2400lbs is stuck like its on rails and is totaly neutral with no over or under steer at all.:biggrin: Shad Knows as he did it:cool: I also have the regular Comptech sway bars front and rear and my Comptech pro shocks still on the car

Steve

That wouldn't be 1600+ in the front would it :confused: :biggrin:

It's no secret what the track only Guys are running but on the street my teeth would hurt. Shad knows how to make an NSX fast.

Building a race car is easy. Tuning it to actually be fast or ubber optimized for a specific application is the hard/expensive/time consuming part.

Like I said, in NSX Land, yeah I think you might want to count the sheep in the flock and assess the true extent of their pro motorsports experience more carefully... especially before taking blanket chassis setup advice as "you need to swap your springs".

You must consider the suspension frequency and wheel rate. You have to look at the total equation of how everything is coming together.

My recommendation is forget about Mr Foo's in-box spring recommendations. Everyone has some seemingly irrelevant opinion on the matter about what rates "are best" or how best to setup your race car (which they probably have never driven).

Look. NSX Prime has many different enthusiasts with vastly different setups, prep levels, budgets, and goals. No one shoe fits all. You know that stock cars run different rates left to right on the front at banked speedways? Aware that one rate may lend itself to better turn-in characteristics while sacrificing apex and exit speed or even braking characteristics? One can be fantastic at one course and horrible at another? Great in the wet and sucks in the dry?

In road racing some competitors may run very, very stiff, while another competitor may opt for very, very light springs with no rear sway bar. Guess what, they BOTH work. To a certain extent it's all in your driving style and what you like.

All things being equal, no one driver is going to be perfectly comfortable with the same setup anyway.

The crazy spring rates are the ones you get from some guy on a car forum that doesn't even have the common sense to ask where in the hell you are driving your car.

My 0.02
+1

-my 0.02

Wow,

Steve

This is also with Hoosiers which greatly influence lateral grip, that extra load needs to be controlled with either heavier sway bars, or springs, or a combination of both. I know Kip had 1200 lb front on his red car back when he was running Yoko's, I would not be surprised if you guys stepped up to 1400 lb with sticker rubber.

Sounds like you might have some new dampers in your future, what do you think a set of JRZs 3 ways would do to your ride???:wink:

This is also with Hoosiers which greatly influence lateral grip, that extra load needs to be controlled with either heavier sway bars, or springs, or a combination of both. I know Kip had 1200 lb front on his red car back when he was running Yoko's, I would not be surprised if you guys stepped up to 1400 lb with sticker rubber.

Sounds like you might have some new dampers in your future, what do you think a set of JRZs 3 ways would do to your ride???:wink:

Dave,
Other than SCCA driving school I have never ran the Hoosiers, this will be the first race with them as I always ran the A005 Yoko slicks. We corded all our rubber at the school except the Yokos that we saved for the races. We were forced to put on the Goodyear street tires right after we changed the springs OOPS!! but we were amazed how well the car worked and in the race the car was perfect.
As far as the JRZs that is up to Shad, I was looking at the Penske but what do I know

Steve

Update on crazy spring rates...

I had a chance to spend the weekend with a set of JRZ RS +/Moton clubsport (same dampers) dampers using 900 lb front/525 lb rear springs. Drove over 500 miles on the highway and logged almost 250 track miles on Thunderhill.

I was expecting incredible control on the track with the damping turned up, ended up running around 4 clicks from full hard on compression, played with the re-bound to balance the car (2-6 clicks from full hard) and I was not disappointed! More adjustment than I am used to with the Comptech Pro(Koni 3012) I had been running last season, felt like I had better control over the rough sections and the body roll was controlled without any lose of traction. With the damping adjustment conveniently located on top of the shafts and reservoir canisters, I found myself willing to adjust them more often than my Konis, really taking advantage of the capability of the system.

What really surprised me was the ride off the track. My CT Pro set has always been OK on the street, but after a few hours I was ready to take a break. I thought is was just the stiff springs. The JRZs, on the other hand, were more compliant and plush than a stock suspension! I could not believe how smooth they were with the damping full soft. I was amazed how well they adsorbed bumps and dips while still controlling body roll and not letting the nose dive under hard braking. If anyone is shopping for a 'Do everything' set of coil overs, these are the BOMB! With every other set I have tried, you had to give up something in ride or control, the only downside on these is the cost. But you only buy them once...completely re-build able, now in the USA too.

I love the JRZ so much, I am becoming a dealer!:wink:

Back