• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CTSC reconditioning/refurbishing/rebuild

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
I'm thinking ahead and will one day want to rebuild my CTSC.

Who are the vendors that do this? The work needed is pretty straightforward. The bearings should be relatively universal. Having a replacement snout and/or housing on the other hand might be difficult if the parts are not in stock but I think rarely needed.

I'm assuming Autorotors may be serviceable by Kenne Bell and Whipple with someone else?

PSE seems to come up often from an online search but there's been some horror stories from these guys unfortunately.

I'm considering Magnusson who's local to me but I believe they only do Eaton/Magnusson blowers. I have to inquire if they will rebuild an Autorotor and/or Whipple. They quoted me a full rebuild of my TRD blower for only $300 and I trust their work.
http://www.magnacharger.com/

Anyone else have positive experiences elsewhere?

PSE is a nightmare I learned the hard way. When i searched i couldnt find many companies that rebuild them but most were $600-800 so $300 is very inexpensive

PSE is a nightmare I learned the hard way. When i searched i couldnt find many companies that rebuild them but most were $600-800 so $300 is very inexpensive

I fully agree! PSE, ususally recommended by most SC people has been a nigtmare. 2 weeks after recieving my sc (!), they finally informed ne that it was beyond recnditioning and offered me a replacement (the new 1600cc unit) with intake modification for about $3,500. i did not go for it and that was 15,000 miles go. Now the unit is very "loose" and i suspect i will need a new unit because the impellers (not just the bearings and the bushings) are worn down. Anyone knows where i could get a new or slightly used original CT scew unit?

I called and Magnusson will not service a Autorotor unfortunately. Still waiting to hear back if they'll do the Whipple. Likely not since I know for sure they do the Eaton Roots type but Whipple/Autorotor is a bit different.
This guy rebuilds superchargers, and also modifies them to work mor efficiently = more power.

http://theoldone.com/
These guys won't service an Autorotor either. I forgot to ask about the Whipples.
I fully agree! PSE, ususally recommended by most SC people has been a nigtmare. 2 weeks after recieving my sc (!), they finally informed ne that it was beyond recnditioning and offered me a replacement (the new 1600cc unit) with intake modification for about $3,500. i did not go for it and that was 15,000 miles go. Now the unit is very "loose" and i suspect i will need a new unit because the impellers (not just the bearings and the bushings) are worn down. Anyone knows where i could get a new or slightly used original CT scew unit?
For the price, you might give Shad a call and upgrade to the 2.3L unit. Seems like a viable option given the cost. Still not ideal though. The 1.6-1.7L works well for a street car.

I'm glad my Autorotor hasn't shown signs of aging yet. Most of you folks needing a rebuild are using the Whipple/Lysholm unit, yes?

I'll keep hunting. The bearings should be relatively universal.. it's the screws that are proprietary but exploring options to re-coat them might be viable. I'm sure i'll find someone out there. Still a few avenues I haven't had time to pursue yet...

Last edited:
So, after how many miles do you expect a revision of a supercharger?

Would SOS be able to rebuild it? Also wondering how many miles before a rebuild. Mime has about 15k miles on it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

There are two prinicipal ways the SC gets worn.
One is the bearings/bushings including the ones in the snout. Those can be replaced as long as the holes they fit in the casing have not been elongated.
The second and more lethal scenario is when the two impellers are worn beyond the allowed clearance. I believe that is the point of no return as no new impellers are available. I think this where mine is after a little over 50K miles.
See the following thread
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164164

Just for comparison's sake.. I have over 110k miles on my TRD roots supercharger and it's still holding the same measurable boost as TRD advertised. I know this is a case of YMMV unfortunately.

It would be logical to think that bad bearings will accelerate the wear of the impellers tremendously. Do you this is what happened in your case BBoxer?

The impellers are linked with a coupler. The impellers have their own bearings regardless of the tension of the belt, right?

There are two prinicipal ways the SC gets worn.
One is the bearings/bushings including the ones in the snout. Those can be replaced as long as the holes they fit in the casing have not been elongated.
The second and more lethal scenario is when the two impellers are worn beyond the allowed clearance. I believe that is the point of no return as no new impellers are available. I think this where mine is after a little over 50K miles.
See the following thread
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164164

Hmmmm, knowing the prior history of your blower, I don't think it was driven that hard or shortchanged on maintenance though it has been on the track few times. So at 50K miles showing such symptoms is a bit peculiar unless (a) initially the tolerances were at the very margin and hence now they are showing symptoms of wear; or (b) something else is happening.

I remember reading about that here Anything new happen since then?

How does the surface of the impellers get worn?

I ask because they don't touch and upstream is this air filter thing to keep out debris like dust/sand/etc that would span the gap.

I ask because they don't touch and upstream is this air filter thing to keep out debris like dust/sand/etc that would span the gap.
Its not the impellers that they say get worn its the gear set that drives them

Its not the impellers that they say get worn its the gear set that drives them
The impellers have a teflon coating of some sort. It aids in creating the best seal. That will wear over time though i'm not sure how much difference a few microns of worn coating will really matter in boost pressure.

If the gear set wears beyond spec then the impellers risk making contact with each other. Then it becomes a bigger issue and replacement impellers may be necessary.

Ron, After our phone conversation you agreed to remove any negative threads. Please remove this and any other threads. Thank you. Ed.
Ed I told you I would remove the thread I started. You have now gone and dug up all of these old threads. I did in fact have a terrible experience. I will also mention you admit wrong doing on the phone yet on the internet you deny it

Why not just contact Lysholm directly?

I'm sure they have a list of companies that they can recommend.

Phone: 805-247-0226
Email: [email protected]

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a thread where I basically said that SOS IC wasn’t as good as DA’s and SOS handled themselves professionally.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/150322-Driving-Ambition-vs-SOS-Laminova-intercooler

I'm curious... CT won't rebuild their kits??

Back