• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom car audio in Midwest

I am planning to install a custom audio/video system in my 1991 NSX. There is only one highline car audio company in Cincinnati (Spade Kreations). Can anyone recommend a company in the Midwest with a reputation for innovative, custom audio/video systems?

Thanks!

ABT Electronics in Glenview, IL has a big car audio/video department. They are highly regarded and I think their top installer is considered of the 10 best in the country.

They do a lot of high end autos and they have many local celebrities as clients (Sammy Sosa, Dennis Rodman, several Chicago Bears players).

you beat me to it Jim, I was going to say the same thing. Greg Schwartz is then man who runs the show over there. He was the MECP #1 installer in the country a few years back. He does awesome fiberglass work. I used to do car audio as a profession and if my car were going in somewhere it would be ABT.
Aaron:cool:

Yes, ABT is great and very professional.

They installed my Alpine CD Changer and my Smartenna.

One note: I don't think they will install components (radios, amps, etc.) that is not purchased from their store.

Interesting. I knew that Abt sells a lot of electronics for the home as well as the car; they're huge, and I've bought a lot of things from them over the years. However, I didn't realize that they also cater to the high-end custom segment of the car audio business. You learn something new every day.

Try Music in Motion in Chicago Heights, IL. Ask for Greg. They do top notch custom work and their owner is a huge car fan so they will take good care of your car.

Tim

I don't know how much help i can be here, but I'll try...

I live in northern MI (Traverse City area actually), and there is one car audio dealer here that people go to for high-end installs. They all go to Kurtz Car Stereo. I had the stereo in my Sebring installed there. They are very competent (?sp), and sell some of the best brands around (I highly suggest Focal for your speaker choices, and Xtant amps and subs). One of their installers just left, but was replaced by another top-end installer. They have have been in publications (please don't which ones, because I can't remember the name), and I full reccommend them.

If you want to contact them, the info is below. Ask for Jensen (pronounced yen-sen), and tell him Aaron Steele told you about them. Whatever you need done, I'm sure they can do beyond your expectations.

Kurtz Car Stereo Center
1201 E Front St
Traverse City, MI 49686
231-947-1124

nsxtasy said:
...I didn't realize that they also cater to the high-end custom segment of the car audio business...

I was surprised as well. I went there to purchase my DIN cable (remember that thread!) about three months ago, and wandered to that back of the audio side of their store. They have a huge garage that had a surprising number of vehicles. There were a number of Hummers (H2's) that were being worked on. I talked to one of the installers, and he indicated that they regularly do high-end installation work -- in fact, most of the H2's were getting customer seat-back TV's and DVD systems installed. You wouldn't know it unless you asked. I came away pleasantly surprised.

Regards.

Back