• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CV Joints

I did. It sounds like sh$t. Umm the sound came and went it was like, come to think of it I cant remember. On my car it was the inner cv joint and I was told that the part was $400, but Acura of Brookfield payed for the part since they performed a pre purchase inspection and failed to notice the problem. I know they did not need to do this for me but I am glad they did. The labor was $135. Call John Vasos of Acura of Brookfield and he might listen to it. He listend to mine on the phone and guessed the problem.

The axles on the NSX contain the same parts as the axles on a 91-95 Legend. The only difference is that the NSX axles have Legend inner joints on BOTH ends. Any axle rebuilder can rebuild them for very cheap. I had both of mine completely rebuilt for $179.00 parts included. Its very hard to tell when they go bad, because unlike FWD cars, they never turn, so you never put them in a semi-bind, and hear the clicking you would hear on a FWD car. Just to be safe, i had them both completely rebuilt. If you'd like more info on this, dont hesitate to email me.

[email protected]

------------------
1992 NSX
VTEC Forums- The newest online discussion center, for Honda performance.

Originally posted by NSXnBRLA:
The axles on the NSX contain the same parts as the axles on a 91-95 Legend. The only difference is that the NSX axles have Legend inner joints on BOTH ends. Any axle rebuilder can rebuild them for very cheap. I had both of mine completely rebuilt for $179.00 parts included. Its very hard to tell when they go bad, because unlike FWD cars, they never turn, so you never put them in a semi-bind, and hear the clicking you would hear on a FWD car. Just to be safe, i had them both completely rebuilt. If you'd like more info on this, dont hesitate to email me.

[email protected]

Can you describe the clicking? Was it constant whenever the car was rolling?

Originally posted by cpmoran:
I know this question is not for me but. What I did was I put the car up in the air and took the wheel off, when the wheel was off the sound was 5x louder. I put it in first gear and when the axle would turn the sound was, check this out I posted this when I had my problem: http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/001007.html Good luck

Could you rock the wheel when it was up in the air?

Originally posted by pimp42:
Could you rock the wheel when it was up in the air?

when the lugs were tight? No. I think if thats the case it may be a bad hub. With mine all the greese was gone from inside the cv. I thought I had some kind of oil leak or something but it was the grease shooting every were. I guess I could of had it rebuilt if I was the one paying the bill. Here is what I did. I called both local Acura dealers and they both wanted like 90bucks just to look at the car, so I called a local honda acura shop and they said they would tell me whats wrong for free, as long as I took it them to perform the work. When I took it to them and they decided that it was imposible to tell what was wrong for sure without taking it apart, so if you rebuild make sure you have a shop who can fit you in cause the shop wont like leaving the car on the lift for an extended period of time. Good luck and please post when you find out whats up

Originally posted by cpmoran:
when the lugs were tight? No. I think if thats the case it may be a bad hub. With mine all the greese was gone from inside the cv. I thought I had some kind of oil leak or something but it was the grease shooting every were. I guess I could of had it rebuilt if I was the one paying the bill. Here is what I did. I called both local Acura dealers and they both wanted like 90bucks just to look at the car, so I called a local honda acura shop and they said they would tell me whats wrong for free, as long as I took it them to perform the work. When I took it to them and they decided that it was imposible to tell what was wrong for sure without taking it apart, so if you rebuild make sure you have a shop who can fit you in cause the shop wont like leaving the car on the lift for an extended period of time. Good luck and please post when you find out whats up

Apparently, it's transmission backlash, not CV joints or engine mounts. Finally drove in another NSX with my mechanic, and after I heard the same noise (albeit not as loud as my car) he convinced me that my car's ok - it's me with car paranoia issues. Thank goodness.

Originally posted by matteni:
Tighten up your front, rear, and 2 side transmission mounts. Did wonders for me.

Yeah, did that. Still gettin' it. Bought my 91 in August with 15K on it. I just think the original owner had lots of stop and start driving, and mine's just a little looser than most. At least that's my theory, and hope, but I'll listen to anything that'll make it go away (short of replacing the transmission, of course.)

Thanks.

Originally posted by matteni:
Tighten up your front, rear, and 2 side transmission mounts. Did wonders for me.

When you did the mount tightening...

The FAQ's talk about just the front and rear. Did you jack it up and do all four immediately? Or did you do the front and rear, try it out, then work on the side mounts?

I am in the process of changing my driver side rear driveshaft on my 91 with 135K miles. The noise I hear is sort of a "popping" noise when I make sharp turns to the right. Do not really hear anything when driving straight although at times I swear I have heard some similar faint noise when going straight at higher highway speeds. Well hopefully swapping it out should correct the problem!

Chris

NSXnBRLA said:

[email protected]

So are the NSX axles the same as the Legend axles? or is it just the inner joints that are the same. if its the same axle, i'll just replace it completely, if not, i'll get the rebuild kit for the legend.

A Cv Joint Or Axle As It Is Called Is A Razpa Joint In Most Cars.
If Y Ou Grab The Axle With One Hand And Grab The Shaft With The Other Hand And There Is Sever Play Back And Forth And Here The Joint Grinding. The Joint Is Worn Out. Most Rebuilders Can Build This. I Would Go With A Higher In Unit. When They Rebuild These. The Housings Wear From The Balls And The Excessive Play.
When They Rebuild Them They Cut The Housing Deeper And Put In Slightly Biggers Razpa Joint To Take Up For The Cutting Required.
Good Builders Off A Good Warr. And Back There Job. I Have Had Several Done On Sl600 And Amg 500 Cars And Had No Issues.
Nsx Cert. Tech 90-95
Master Mercedies Tech. 95 To Present

Chief said:
I am in the process of changing my driver side rear driveshaft on my 91 with 135K miles. The noise I hear is sort of a "popping" noise when I make sharp turns to the right. Do not really hear anything when driving straight although at times I swear I have heard some similar faint noise when going straight at higher highway speeds. Well hopefully swapping it out should correct the problem!

Chris

This really sounds more like a wheel bearing(drivers side) to me. As mentioned above, since the rear wheels to do really turn, the sound you hear sounds like the drivers side rear wheel bearing being loaded, then getting noisy. Let's hope I am wrong.

HTH,
LarryB

NSX axle joints do not have "balls" they have bearings as they have two inner style joints,...outer style joints have "balls" and make clicking noises when they are turned at an angle..I am with Larry on this one does not sound like an axle joint problem to me.

most NSX axle issues are noted under accell load...this issue sounds more like a wheelhub/brake assy issue as Larry sugjested or possibly the Limited slip diff in the tranny.....good luck..JZ

Replaced my right side axle this weekend. no more knocking! axle was $250 through a honda dismantler/recyler. She drives like a champ!

Fightercar;

I just did the right rear CV on my 91. Had to order the new joint from the mother country. Ended up having to buy the whole joint for just one needle bearing. If you need a bearing I have two good ones, plus I ended up buying double of the intermed. carrier bearing and seals and am looking to sell the extras.

Scott

Fightercar;

I paid $55.75 for the intermed. bearing and $10.48 each for the inner/outter seals. I'd take $60.
Also, I can do $30 each for the CV bearings (I have two).

Scott

FIGHTERCAR said:
drmohr,

I PM'd you about your spare parts.

Fightercar

Back