• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cybernation Shows Turbo NSX

I knew if I ruffled enough feathers someone would perk up! It is great to hear that things are still moving along. Wondering if the variances between the 3.2 and 3.0 litre will affect what kit one gets. At any rate, maybe I can get some boost under my but by next fall!

Originally posted by Juice:
I knew if I ruffled enough feathers someone would perk up! It is great to hear that things are still moving along. Wondering if the variances between the 3.2 and 3.0 litre will affect what kit one gets. At any rate, maybe I can get some boost under my but by next fall!

Choose wisely my friend, choose wisely.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Originally posted by Juice:

The variances between the 3.2 and 3.0 turbo kits are very minor. The Horsepower and Torque gains between the two are also very minor. The 5 speed, 6 speed issue not an issue anymore. The turbo really evens the playing field between the two engines.

The stage II motor was finished today. Now we need to break the new pistons in and then put it on the dyno where we expect at least 500hp to the wheels.

The 1999 3.2 liter NSX now has 2000 miles under hard boost at 7psi the thing is a rocket. The new clutch is now broken in and is ready for the dyno. We had one NSXer came for a ride yesterday and he was completely blown away. He said the car is much faster than he expected and that it felt more like 15 psi.

Dyno results coming soon.

nsxturbo_small.jpg

nsxturbo2_small.jpg

nsxturbo3_small.jpg

int_small.jpg

Cold air is taken form the passanger side scoop and ducted back to the turbo. The duct will be carbon fiber or aluminum on the final product.

see large versions of the pictures at www.cybernationmotorsports.com

[This message has been edited by cybernation (edited 05 February 2003).]

Originally posted by cybernation:
The variances between the 3.2 and 3.0 turbo kits are very minor. The Horsepower and Torque gains between the two are also very minor. The 5 speed, 6 speed issue not an issue anymore. The turbo really evens the playing field between the two engines.

The stage II motor was finished today. Now we need to break the new pistons in and then put it on the dyno where we expect at least 500hp to the wheels.

The 1999 3.2 liter NSX now has 2000 miles under hard boost at 7psi the thing is a rocket. The new clutch is now broken in and is ready for the dyno. We had one NSXer came for a ride yesterday and he was completely blown away. He said the car is much faster than he expected and that it felt more like 15 psi.

Dyno results coming soon.

nsxturbo_small.jpg

nsxturbo2_small.jpg

nsxturbo3_small.jpg

int_small.jpg

Cold air is taken form the passanger side scoop and ducted back to the turbo. The duct will be carbon fiber or aluminum on the final product.

see large versions of the pictures at www.cybernationmotorsports.com

[This message has been edited by cybernation (edited 05 February 2003).]

Well.that was me guys,I had the opportunity to test drive the car, and I was really impress with the power the car produce so fast. and Lee was really nice person to talk to.I must said that I've drive turbo cars before, as a matter of fact I also own a 300zx twin turbo,and Lee's nsx was really fast.the turbo spooled up so fast that you can't even tell alsmost any lag.I want to take this oportunity to thanks Lee for being so polite.
BS.I'm doing mine pretty soon.I hope
Armando

500 rwhp!!! With only 3100 or so lbs of weight, the supra guys won't be laughing; unless they see the turboed Nsx on the shoulder with a blown engine. However, keep up the good work, and give us all the juicy updates you can.

Cybernation,
I know that the turbo you are using in your kit is not a ball bearing turbo. where do we (the installers) have to tap into to get the cooling and oil for the turbo. Have you guys measured knock your engine? if so, with what device? And what psi? rpm? If there is no knock why are you thinking of using a water injection kit? why the oil cooler? And can you elaborate on what the Black magic elf unit does for the nsx ecu? i.e. advance or retard timing? what it does to the fuel? If the Black magic box controlls fuel why do you need to use a piggy back unit like the Apex Super AFC? Pls. answer my questions when you get a chance. thanks!

Originally posted by madfast:
Cybernation,
I know that the turbo you are using in your kit is not a ball bearing turbo. where do we (the installers) have to tap into to get the cooling and oil for the turbo. Have you guys measured knock your engine? if so, with what device? And what psi? rpm? If there is no knock why are you thinking of using a water injection kit? why the oil cooler? And can you elaborate on what the Black magic elf unit does for the nsx ecu? i.e. advance or retard timing? what it does to the fuel? If the Black magic box controlls fuel why do you need to use a piggy back unit like the Apex Super AFC? Pls. answer my questions when you get a chance. thanks!

1. A Ball bearing turbo will be an option on the final product.
2. The Oil tap is in a very good location I won't say at this time where.
3. While we have measured and found no knock. The proposed use of oil coolers and water injection system would be used if necessary under track conditions.
4. While I will not get into the details of the Black Magic unit as yet. It does work with any stock computer ODBI or ODBII and allows the use of very large injectors with normal idle and normal fuel consumption and has been tested up to 40 PSI boost.
5. The use of the Apexi or other fuel controller is optional. However they are very useful with our setup.

cybernation,
thanks for the reply. My concern is that the turbo will not get enough oil lubrication if the oil lines are too far from the engine. Will there be a separate pump supplying the turbo with oil? also you didn't quite address the water lines. how are we going to tap into those? keep me posted.

Originally posted by madfast:
cybernation,
thanks for the reply. My concern is that the turbo will not get enough oil lubrication if the oil lines are too far from the engine. Will there be a separate pump supplying the turbo with oil? also you didn't quite address the water lines. how are we going to tap into those? keep me posted.

We have a gravity oil feed setup currently that is working excellent. In fact we are very close to engine and have just recently taken steps to reduce the pressure of the oil line as to not damage the oil seals inside the turbo. A Porsche oil pump was considered however through precise placing of the turbo no oil pump is necessary with the current setup. No information on a water tap at this time.

We are very happy with the results of the current turbo choice. A none ball-baring turbo that can deliver 300 plus ft-lbs of torque at close to 3500 RPM and hold that range to 7500 RPM is a dream power band. As soon as I step on the accelerator this car takes off and never stop accelerating until close to the red line.

Not to toot my own horn but this car is one sick fast car. The last 2500 miles have been the most fun I had with any car. Every time I drive the car I say to myself this is why I do it, the reason why I put the time in day after day. The reason why I put up with the bs. For the little moments when I step on the accelerator, get pasted back in my seat and then take a glance in my rearview mirror and just be amazed at how quickly the traffic behind me disappears.

Here is the dyno chart.
dyno.jpg

[This message has been edited by cybernation (edited 21 February 2003).]

Cybernation,

Just to be clear, you guys are running 7 psi of boost with 423 wrhp == +/- 460bhp with 300 lbs of torque. Are u guys running in all stock internals besides injectors???

How much can the stock NSX motor withstand before the breakdown limit of the pistons and all the other parts.

Also how many long have you guys been running the setup. Any problems yet?

Thankyou in advance for answering my questions.

Ive allocated about $8000 bucks to use next year on an FI kit. I hope next year the kit is done and track,street tested by then. After reading all these posts, the kit look interesting.

One note though:
I live way up here in Michigan. THe winters can get pretty damn cold, and would like to know how this thing would last sitting through the winter stored with occasional start ups. Will any parts of the system freeze up when its sitting around for weeks at a time? How about even driving it in 10-40 degree cold weather?

In any case, definately keep us posted on experiences, reliability on street, dragstrip and track. I will be following this one all the way until next year, when it would be time for me to take the FI plunge (Hopefully).

[This message has been edited by Redeye (edited 22 February 2003).]

Originally posted by project13nsx:
Cybernation,

Just to be clear, you guys are running 7 psi of boost with 423 wrhp == +/- 460bhp with 300 lbs of torque. Are u guys running in all stock internals besides injectors???

How much can the stock NSX motor withstand before the breakdown limit of the pistons and all the other parts.

Also how many long have you guys been running the setup. Any problems yet?

Thankyou in advance for answering my questions.

At 7psi we see 406whp 300+ ft-lb of torque. The chart posted reflects a 8 psi run spiking to 10psi at about 7000 rpm.

How much power can the stock NSX withstand?
I would like to hear what others think about this question. It certainly is the million-dollar question. Yes we are still running stock internals.

I think maybe 370whp is about the max anyone should run on stock internals. From what we have learned so far the stock head gaskets are made of paper and the pistons are very weak. As with any stock Honda when you exceed the horsepower rating of the pistons you will develop hairline cracks on the side of the pistons walls where the rings are seated. You will begin to see abnormal smoke coming from your valve cover vents this is called blow-by you will need new pistons.

The better way to add FI t is to upgrade the pistons and replace the head gaskets. Then you can run 500whp without fear and drive your car everyday with peace of mind. On our test cars we don't mind pushing the limits of the stock internals we will only learn from it. However our advise to anyone considering boost is to keep the horsepower low and you will have the reliability. If you desire huge power then at minimum upgrade your pistons, upgrade the head gaskets and upgrade the head bolts. It will only cost about $3500 more with labor.

We have been boosting the yellow 99 for about 2 month. Adding more miles everyday.

[This message has been edited by cybernation (edited 23 February 2003).]

Originally posted by cybernation:
The better way to add FI t is to upgrade the pistons and replace the head gaskets.

If you desire huge power then at minimum upgrade your pistons, upgrade the head gaskets and upgrade the head bolts. It will only cost about $3500 more with labor.

Is Bore shift not a problem with the open deck design of the NSX as such high boost applications?

Would you recommend going to a closed deck design with a block guard and maybe (on the C30A's) resleeving the cylinders?

Thanks

Back