• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

D & H Wheel Repair...Just Say NO.

TAG

Experienced Member
D & H Wheel Repair…Just Say NO.

So many serious complaints against businesses that do horrible work and cost people lots of money; go into a lengthy narrative filled with irrelevant information. I’ll do my best to stick with just the facts. They are as follows:

I took two sets of very rare WORK RSZ-R’s to D & H Wheel Repair in early April (I didn’t get the last two rims back from them until mid July). They were asked to paint and polish this set of RSZ-R’s I had just purchased, and repaint my original set of RSZ-R’s to match these. I had to return several individual wheels to have them repainted at least twice before D & H could get it right. The paint on the wheels was full of particulate matter; dust, dirt, etc.

This is the primary reason for my complaint:

Two of my original set of RSZ-R’s that were brought in just to be paint-matched, were seriously damaged by a grossly incompetent employee.

Here are the specifics to support my complaint:

These two wheels had tires on them when I brought them in. There was absolutely no reason to remove the tires, since they were just painting the wheel centers (they had painted my other rims w/o removing the tires). This nightmare of an employee completely mangled the lips on these two perfect wheels, putting four or five deep bends/gouges in the lips of each wheel. The beads on the two Nitto NT-01 tires were also completely destroyed (see the photos below).

Nitto3.jpg

Nitto2.jpg

Nitto1.jpg

The tires were only about half used. Unfortunately I didn’t get photos of the two damaged rims, but you can get the idea from the three tire photos. D & H attempted to repair the two wheels, but the quality of their repair was substandard, and incomplete. After looking closely at their poor attempt to repair these rims, I took them to Leo at the Shine Shop to see if he could do anything to improve the current condition of the wheels. That’s where the rims are now. In all fairness to Dane (the D & H employee who did his best to repair the rims), I’m not sure it’s even possible to bring them back to anything close to their previous condition.

So to recap; I paid D & H Wheel Repair $400 to clean up/repaint one set of rims, and paint-match the second set. The end result was the destruction of two Nitto NT-01tires (they cost me almost $400 to replace), and seriously damaging two perfect, very expensive, and rare WORK RSZ-R rims.

I spoke with the owner of D & H (Mark) about all the damage his employee had done to my property. I asked if he could at least partially compensate me by offering a serious discount on refurbishing another set of wheels I had. His response was “we’ll see what we can do”. I thought WTF after he said that; there is just no working with this guy. Actually the more I think about it, I would prefer to just put that other set of wheels in storage rather than have D & H work on them anyway.

The bottom line is that D & H Wheel Repair is responsible for the damage and destruction of my property, and made absolutely no attempt to compensate me for their actions. I am considering suing D & H in small claims court, but I’m waiting to see what Leo can do with the two wheels.

Don’t even consider taking anything of value to D & H Wheel Repair; or you may find yourself in my position. I’m going to post this thread on every significant automotive message board in the LV area; as a public service.

Thanks Tag, I've got some wheel work I want to do at some point and had looked at D&H as a possibility. Has anyone had good luck with anyone else to do wheel and tire work?

Butch

Thanks Tag, I've got some wheel work I want to do at some point and had looked at D&H as a possibility. Has anyone had good luck with anyone else to do wheel and tire work?

Butch

Butch,

It pretty much depends on what you need to have done. If it's just cosmetic work; fixing some curbage or a small bend in the lip, the Shine Shop can probably take care of it for you. If your wheel requires welding/adding metal, or has a pretty bad bend, I really can't recommend anyone. There is a wheel repair shop that used to work out of 360 Automotive that refurbished my NSX rims. They looked like new when they were done. They went to being a mobile service; I'm not sure if they are around anymore. If I can find out what happened to these guys, I'll let you know.

Tom

D&H was one of my options to powdercoat my wheels and seal it back because of it being a three piece wheel. They wanted (i think) $125 a wheel just to seal it back and that didnt include the powdercoat. So i just went online and read how to seal a 3 piece wheel and i did it for $20 which was the silicone i bought from ACE hardware.

It's weird u had that experience there because everyone i talked to about doing my wheels they all recommended D&H. However, i opted for a different shop which was a lot cheaper and turned out pretty good.

D&H was one of my options to powdercoat my wheels and seal it back because of it being a three piece wheel. They wanted (i think) $125 a wheel just to seal it back and that didnt include the powdercoat. So i just went online and read how to seal a 3 piece wheel and i did it for $20 which was the silicone i bought from ACE hardware.

It's weird u had that experience there because everyone i talked to about doing my wheels they all recommended D&H. However, i opted for a different shop which was a lot cheaper and turned out pretty good.

It sounds like you made a good choice; would you recommend the other shop?

Back