• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Daily driver help. 996 Carrera or 645ci?

So, I'm planning on getting a new (to me) DD in the next couple months or so. Right now I've been driving my wife's 03 S Type most days. I sold my 98 528i last fall and we got a Range Rover, which we've had great luck with but I drive a lot farther than my wife most days, so she takes the Rover since it gets half the mpg of the Jag. Anyways, we've had the Jag for 4 and half years and have had no real problems with it, but its never been my cup of tea.
So as the title states, the two cars I am considering are an 04-05ish BMW 645ci or a 02-03ish 996 C2. I go back and forth on which would be better. I think the BMW would be the better car for what I would use it for...nicer more modern interior with more modern features, more useable trunk, slightly more useable rear seats probably (we don't have kids though) etc.
But the Porsche 911 is well....a Porsche 911 and I'm sure would be the more fun car to drive everyday. I know the 996 isn't the most desirable 911 and has some issues with RMS etc. I would probably opt for the Tip though since I do a fair amount of sitting in stop and go traffic on my commute. I figure I'd end up getting snow tires for either for the occasional heavy snow we do get here in Michigan. Though, last year, we had hardly any.
I'd be interested to hear opinions...anyone own either? Good bad and ugly. Or any other suggestions. I'd like to keep the price range in the low 20's if not under 20.

2002 911!! As crazy as it sounds...MUCH more reliable than the 645i! Make sure the 911 has the IMS/RMS addressed though!

I have driven a 996. It's outstanding. I have not owned one, so I cannot comment on the overall reliabilty, but I'm sure such info is available in spades on the internet.

Have you tried talking to people on Porsche and BMW forums? Generally, I find that specific forum research is the best way to learn the nitty gritty and get pretty good answers to your specific questions.

Anyway, the car I drove was a 2000, base model 911 (296 hp) with the steering wheel-mounted button shifters (using thumbs to shift up and down). It has solid grip (from a stop, you can nail the throttle around a corner and it just bites and goes... at least, this was my experience when the salesman "encouraged" me to try it... maybe I got lucky :biggrin:).

The ride is smooth, yet taught. High speed cruising is stable and confidence inspiring.

Sorry, but I can't comment on the BMW.

I have grown to like the 996 911 simply because it's the only one fairly priced IMO. 993's, my personal favorite, are priced through the stratosphere. 997's are still quite expensive and carry a significant premium over 996's for what boils down to mainly cosmetic appeal. The 997 is superior but the overall performance is very similar.

These are the two cars Im looking at too soon.

Although I have not seen ANY good examples of either in the low 20's.

Talk to Nick, they had a 996C2 cab for a while.........

They? I guess I do need to lose some weight.

I loved my '02 996. I used it as a daily driver when I worked in Chicago. I never had any issues with it. I parked it at the airport on weekends and had no angst over whether it would start or not when I landed Monday mornings. The driving experience is similar to an NA1 NSX; this is probably more so for the coupes (I had a cab). The rear seats and boot were very usable. Overall, it was a very tight car and I regret selling it.

Once IMS/EMS has been addressed, how long before they give problems again?

I believe once its been addressed its good to go.

I have grown to like the 996 911 simply because it's the only one fairly priced IMO. 993's, my personal favorite, are priced through the stratosphere. 997's are still quite expensive and carry a significant premium over 996's for what boils down to mainly cosmetic appeal. The 997 is superior but the overall performance is very similar.

I totally agree. 993's are my all time fave, but the prices are nuts.

These are the two cars Im looking at too soon.

Although I have not seen ANY good examples of either in the low 20's.

I don't know what qualifies as "good" to you, but I've seen a fair number of them out there. I guess I'm not shying away from higher mileage since I have a 46 mile round trip commute and I'll be racking on the miles and through all kinds of weather anyways.

You guys are certainly pushing me in the direction I was leaning......:biggrin:
I really want an 02+ since it has the turbo headlights (much better), bigger engine and other improvements. I really want black on black or white on black (white is really hard to find though.) Also looking to get the Tiptronic as I mentioned before since I often sit in traffic on the way home. I'll still have my NSX when I want to row gears. Though the 16-24 year old version of me would kick my own a$$ for getting an auto Porsche. :biggrin:

As much as I DO NOT Prefer to look (its the headlights. . . ) of the 996, get the Porsche. It is a Porsche afterall. It is afterall a proper sports car while the 6 series is a grand tourer (however, that also means that it should be much more comfortable). So its up to you, want a more dynamic driver's car? Porsche. Want a cruiser? BMW. :wink:

As much as I DO NOT Prefer to look (its the headlights. . . ) of the 996, get the Porsche. It is a Porsche afterall. It is afterall a proper sports car while the 6 series is a grand tourer (however, that also means that it should be much more comfortable). So its up to you, want a more dynamic driver's car? Porsche. Want a cruiser? BMW. :wink:

Exactly why I go back and forth. The BMW makes more sense for what I would use it for and I have the NSX. But the Porsche is a Porsche and I figure, why not?

What mileage are you looking for?

I am referring to 996's and 645i under 40k miles. They are all 28-30k in the NW. I've never seen an 02 less then 30k that's for sure (I look ever week).

Yeah, I'm looking more in the 60-80K range probably. Like I said, I'm just going to load miles on it anyways, so I'm not worried about it being low miles and flawless. There was an 03 Coupe Tip w/ 74K for $18.5k about a month ago, but I wasn't ready to pull the trigger yet. I'll probably be kicking myself for not jumping on it.

What mileage are you looking for?

I am referring to 996's and 645i under 40k miles. They are all 28-30k in the NW. I've never seen an 02 less then 30k that's for sure (I look ever week).

Decent amount of 996's under $30k in the south. Most have 50-75k miles. Considering the Porsche 911's reputation it's interesting to note the $15,000 $20,000 premium the NSX often carries vs a similar year Porsche (outside of the turbo, which is only slightly cheaper).

Yeah, I'm looking more in the 60-80K range probably. Like I said, I'm just going to load miles on it anyways, so I'm not worried about it being low miles and flawless. There was an 03 Coupe Tip w/ 74K for $18.5k about a month ago, but I wasn't ready to pull the trigger yet. I'll probably be kicking myself for not jumping on it.

Seems way to risky to mean and makes no sense.

One thing goes out and you'll wish you bought with lower miles. Also resale of those cars over 100k miles is about O.

Seems way to risky to mean and makes no sense.

One thing goes out and you'll wish you bought with lower miles. Also resale of those cars over 100k miles is about O.

I guess I'm not worried about miles, especially on a car like a Porsche where someone is more likely to have taken care of it and maintained it.
The two BMW's I've owned had 188k and 195K when I got rid of them and still ran great. The Jaguar I drive now has 107K on it and has been a really solid car and I'd have no problem keeping it for another couple years, but we've had it for a while and I'm bored with it.
Heck, the Range Rover I bought last fall had 77k (now 87K) on it and most everyone agrees they probably have the worst reliably out there. But it has been problem free (I'm now going to go find some wood to knock on :wink:)
As for resale, I see 3-4 on autotrader right now with 110-125K on them and they are all priced at $22K.

How many 996's make it to 100,000 miles on the original engine?
I could be wrong, but I was under the assumption they're unreliable cars?

Update:
Well after debating it and going back and forth, and then looking at Cayman's closely too for a while. I decided on the 6 series. Picked up an 05 645ci Sport. Just showed up a week ago. So far I love it. It just makes more sense for me since I sit in traffic everyday and still plenty of performance when I can use it. Also, I still have the NSX of course when I really want to play.
I couldn't resist already plastidipping the wheels, grille and rear badge this last weekend....

IMG_20121027_184014 by blodi, on Flickr

IMG_20121027_183903 by blodi, on Flickr

IMG_20121025_225806 by blodi, on Flickr

Back