• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dan's double DIN carbon trimmed center console update

i know how to set it up thanks. i've installed 10 of em in the last couple of months.(we are a premier dealer of many years) i was just curious as to whether i had a bad unit or you guys were only using the 2g iphone.

i also have to add that the unit is still far from polished and left very many people disappointed. for more info head over to www.avic411.com

damn, that looks good. For $600 you cant go wrong with that unit, i think this will be a good Christmas gift for the nsx...:biggrin:

Chris,

do you offer a replacement "bin" that would replace the ash tray assembly and provide a place to put stuff and have one or more DC outlets? No cover. something that would attach to the same mounting points as the ash tray assembly.

thanks,

Scott

+1...

I asked Bryan if he could mention this to Downforce as having a small bin or cubby for the phone or wallet would rock!

Chris - are there any Double Din consoles available yet?

+1...

I asked Bryan if he could mention this to Downforce as having a small bin or cubby for the phone or wallet would rock!

Chris - are there any Double Din consoles available yet?

That's a good idea - although such a part would be rather complex to mate to the console. Will research more.

We are back in production on consoles and taking deposits.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Dan can give you some better user feedback, but I'll provide some answers as well.

1. I completely removed the ash tray lid door assembly leaving only the inner cover on and could not get even this piece to clear the bottom of the head unit. This head unit is pushed up all the way possibly against the top dash bracket (which you can see in the photo above). This isn't something specific to the Pioneer unit - in fact it's fairly shorter than other units.

No double DIN unit will fit into the dash and still allow full functionality of the ash tray with out signficantly modifying the dash (note the photo above showing the deck pushed all the way up to the top bracket) or significantly modifying the ash tray assembly door.QUOTE]

Chris,

It would be great if you all could find a way to make the ashtray door fucntional. I know we are dealing with a realestate issue in the dash etc, but there has to be a way that a new door can be made or somthing.

I am looking at doing this same set up. I think it looks fantastic, but for some reason, knowing that the ashtray door would always remain closed just bothers me for some reason.

Please let us know if this issue gets solved. I think a lot more NSX owners would do this conversion knowing that they do not have to give up the use of the ashtray and 12v power.

Thanks and I look forward to getting all the items to do this in the near future. Hopefully with a functional door option.

Darrin

Chris,

It would be great if you all could find a way to make the ashtray door fucntional. I know we are dealing with a realestate issue in the dash etc, but there has to be a way that a new door can be made or somthing.

I am looking at doing this same set up. I think it looks fantastic, but for some reason, knowing that the ashtray door would always remain closed just bothers me for some reason.

Please let us know if this issue gets solved. I think a lot more NSX owners would do this conversion knowing that they do not have to give up the use of the ashtray and 12v power.

Thanks and I look forward to getting all the items to do this in the near future. Hopefully with a functional door option.

Darrin

hi Darrin --

The ash tray can be used, but it does require modifying the ash tray outer and inner ash tray. Maniacura posted information on how to do this here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=994514&postcount=251

Cheers,
--Chris

i don't want to create a stir but after installing a dnx7100 my ashtray functions just fine without any modifications. granted it does take a slightly more effort but not to the point of a serious rub.
btw, i modified a stock console and i presume that this is the reason why the ashtray still works- it is impossible to make a generic console that would satisfy all the different DD unit fitments out there- doing a custom job gives you a bit of a leaway for adjustment.

[Chris,

Darrin

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your previous answer. I was just wondering, since so many people are in the same boat as I am, where we want to have a Double Din unit put in, but want to be able to have the 12v power for emergency use (phone out of battery, spare tire, etc.), do you think you can start a group buy by providing a center console that will cover up the ashtray area, and leave two circle so we can connect the 12v power and possibly a push start button (as I had poorly illustrated before). I am open to suggestion if a third circle, (preferbly the middle) can be also mounted for monitor of some sort (maybe it can be a 3 pin hole tiny circle where a high quality noise cancelling mic can be placed in the back). Anyway, any suggestion? Anyone?

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your previous answer. I was just wondering, since so many people are in the same boat as I am, where we want to have a Double Din unit put in, but want to be able to have the 12v power for emergency use (phone out of battery, spare tire, etc.), do you think you can start a group buy by providing a center console that will cover up the ashtray area, and leave two circle so we can connect the 12v power and possibly a push start button (as I had poorly illustrated before). I am open to suggestion if a third circle, (preferbly the middle) can be also mounted for monitor of some sort (maybe it can be a 3 pin hole tiny circle where a high quality noise cancelling mic can be placed in the back). Anyway, any suggestion? Anyone?

perhaps a cig lighter and a usb charging port or two

Just install a 12 cigarette plug inside the glove box. I did that when I took out my ash tray for two gauges(as seen in my avatar).
You can get one at Radio Shack, it's pretty easy to install.

2.0 update is out for the f series if you guys didnt get it yet.
Does anyone know if this update decreases the boot time issue discussed on the double-din thread? That seemed to be the biggest issue with what appears to be an otherwise attractive unit.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this update decreases the boot time issue discussed on the double-din thread? That seemed to be the biggest issue with what appears to be an otherwise attractive unit.

I heard it does. I'm going to try to install it today. I'll let you know.

You know what would go good in the ash tray door, the warning lights for a Calibre K-40 radar detector...Also I found a great price on the pioneer unit at DigitalSaver.com $429.00

Last edited:

yes. i timed our display before and after and it went from a minute to about 30 seconds. the buttons are still sluggish from the get go but they get better after a few minutes. i'm going to break down and buy one next week simply because my D3 wont charge my iphone. it will give me a chance to remove my ashtray and put in a pocket instead.

also its crazy what these places sell these for and can still offer a warranty. we're a premier dealer for many years and my employee cost at work after 10% and tax is still $500. be wary.

Last edited:
Seriously considering this unit... anyone hooked up a reverse camera to this unit?

ya. its just like any other d-din with a camera...any particular thing you'd like to know?

Yea where do you mount the camera? and how do you wire it to the head unit? Seems like a long distance to wire.....

Yea where do you mount the camera? and how do you wire it to the head unit? Seems like a long distance to wire.....

sorry i now realize you meant nsx specific. if it were me id use the factory changer wiring since its already run front to back.

personally i hate the cameras, i prefer my mirrors.

Intrested in this set up but scared to pick up the wrong head unit and it not fit!!

SOS sell this as a package? Or is it better to look for better deals on the head unit.

Back