• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

David E. Davis comment

I ALWAYS get stares in my NSX!!

When my son is riding shotgun, he always notes, "they're all looking at ME, dad!" :smile:

My 66 yr. old mother was in it last fall. Even she noted that everyone was staring at us.

I've been in many crapvettes....yeah you get LOOKS, NSX gets STARES!!! :wink:

Dave

ok, i gotta confess: i bought the car because i love to drive it, how it feels to ride in it... and, yes, i *love* its body styling and appearance, but not for what other people think - for what *i* think. all things being equal, i would prefer people *not* notice my nsx when i'm in it.

<sigh> that doesn't happen, though.

everywhere i take the car, people (that seem to be) 3-93 want to talk about it, how sexy it looks, how fast does it go, what's it like to drive it?

yup, darn hard to be inconspicuous in an nsx, but we all have our crosses to bear.

hal
btw, my wife and i also ride a recumbent tandem and darn if people don't look at *that*, too ;)

Related story :
A few weeks ago I was driving on westheimer with my gf and was headed to a restaurant.

I was driving my 02, and it was on a four lane one way road. I was in the second to left lane and there were lots of cars around me, but we were still driving about 25-30 miles an hour.

Theres a camaro to my right, about 3 cars ahead of me, and theres another camaro coming up from behind me fast in the same lane to my right. He then stops right near my rear passenger quarter panel, and is obviously staring at my car, pacing me perfectly.

Then, all of a sudden the camaro 4 cars ahead of me in the next lane to my right slams on his brakes in moving traffic so that he could go one lane over and go to Boston market. All of the cars behind him brake, but the Camaro busy looking at my car didnt. He slams into the car in front of him, and it made a horrible metallic crunching noise right near my car.

I was pretty upset at that point as thats one of my top pet peeves, people who dont just drive ahead, do a u turn and pull stunts like that on the highway and roads like in this case. Later I pull over next to the camaro owner who braked to go to boston market and let him know what he caused behind him. He seemed pretty shocked, and told me that his gf wanted to go to boston market.

:redface:

caseycarson said:
Not to be nit-picky but the mid-years were 63-67 :biggrin:
You're absolutely correct. I meant the '63-'67's. :redface:

No question the auto press loves the big three. However, anything with BMW on it makes them immediately sport wood as well!!! Not knocking beemers, they are fantastic cars, but for awhile every comparo was won by BMW vehicles. I know they're good, but their run at the top was ridiculous. If the NSX had a BMW badge on it, Mr. Davis would be waxing more than just his mustache when he saw one!!!!

even today it goes unnoticed in traffic, while almost any Corvette is an automotive icon that will never fail to turn heads."

The only time statements such as this are more accurate, are when they are posted on the internet! :rolleyes:

Some dudes opinion (I've never heard of him) In Australia and Japan the nsx gets whiplash reactions. EVEN today. Unnoticed if you're at supercar convention maybe and the others all start with 'L' & 'F'

I will agree that a corvettes are automotive icons though and i'll look at any sports car regardless of pedigree.

Answer: David E. Davis JR. Question: What is senility?

I just wonder if he can recognize the NSX with out all the badges. He might think it is some new "VETTE" prototype :eek: :eek: :eek:

Interesting replies so far.

I really don't care what some dork automotive journalist says.

In reality, whenever I take my NSX to the local car shows, I always see a group of vette owners parked, sitting around their cars to show off. Almost always I notice very few people going to check out the vettes.

Where ever I park my NSX, I can feel eyes in the entire car show following me around. People of all ages, teenagers, older adults, come over and take photos of my NSX before I can even get out of my car, and shout compliments.

It's a pretty stark contrast - people loiter around my car to check it out, while the vette owners are all alone by themselves. I almost feel bad for the vette owners, almost... :wink:

I really didn't buy my NSX for so much attention, but I think it's pretty obvious which car gets more attention.

wanttobeansxowner said:
I agree with CDX NXS statements, that’s what makes this car so difference not many people know about it, who wants to be so common like the Vettes. What's this guy’s motivation who’s he working for, maybe as a double agent working has a writer, who’s being paid under the table by Chevy. Just a conspiracy theory
:cool:

Hmmm...I seem to recall Davis making rather more pleasant remarks about the NSX during his days at Car & Driver.

Oh well, no point getting worked up over what a total stranger said, good OR bad.

*shrugs*

Considering you can buy a 98 C5 vette for mid to high 20s they are just going to multiply on the roads in the near future, so the nsx for a little more money is a way better buy in my opinion. I live in WI right on the MN border by the Twin Cities and in the summer months I see at least one vet a day. I have only seen three nsx's in person in my entire life, and in my opinion they are a way better looking car. I gotta say I'm guilty of gawking at the few I've seen and unfortunately haven't been able to chat with any of the owners, but I'd like to if anyone owns one in the area and wants to aid a prospective buyer in my search.

Glad to see other people get those same comparisons to a vette. I get more is that a vette, or looks like a corvette than you can imagine. About a month ago I was at a friends house and had just finished telling him about all the comments I get about it being a vette, and not 10 seconds later his neighbor calls and askes him if that is a vette in his driveway!

I am thinking about getting a personal plate that says NOTAVT(only six letters in Texas)

Charlie

Strange
I must be the only one who hardly ever gets any comments about the NSX. When I drove a 'vette (an 86 convertible in '91) the attention was nonstop.
This suits me just fine as I don't like a lot of attention but my feelings about the NSX so far echo Mr. Davis's, that it is not an attention grabber. And personally I think it much more closely resembles a mid 90's camaro (especially the back half) than any vette, and maybe that's why it doesn't get any attention.. Now granted, when you find that rare person who knows what the nsx is (usually teenage boys with highly tuned civics) they are very excited. but that has only been 2 out of 3 people in the 1 yr/5000 miles I've had the car. The 3rd who noticed it was the ex-wife of a physician that bought one new in '91. She loved that car.

just the honest truth in southwest Ohio.

And don't get mad at me. i love my nsx and bought it for the engineering marvel that it is. The personal enjoyment I derive from the car is tremendous. And I enjoy being able to park it at the grocery store and not worry that anyone will damage it out of resentment.

I remember when I had my NSX the attention I recieved on and off the road was almost non stop. I even had thumbs up from Vette owners who would look, nod, and then give me the thumbs up. :biggrin:

Back