• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DC Sports improved the quality of their headers? "fact/myth"

I would like to put this question to rest. I have read multiple posts that claim DC Sports improved their headers by replacing the flex joint with more reliable ball-socket joint. However, I have also read some posts that said the design has never changed. Can anyone say for a fact that the design has indeed changed?

B Feelgood said:
I would like to put this question to rest. I have read multiple posts that claim DC Sports improved their headers by replacing the flex joint with more reliable ball-socket joint. However, I have also read some posts that said the design has never changed. Can anyone say for a fact that the design has indeed changed?

it has not changed unless it happened last night. The 1991-1994 has the flexjoint - the 1991-6 version has the ball-socket joint.

rjp said:
are both designs bad?

some samples of the flex joint version have cracked over time. If you are familiar with the 1991-1994 OEM parts, they have a flex pipe (different design) as well. DC has a 2 year, no specific mileage warrantee to repair them if it happens that soon. (not usually)

The "ball and socket" design on the DC 95-6 is the same as the OEM 95+ and CT and Taitec and S0S designs as it has to be to be a bolt on.

The welds and stainless used are very comparable over the various brands except for the Iconel etc versions.

The DC sports headers I installed on my car about 6 months ago, were the highest quality aftermarket headers I have ever seen. And I own a automotive performance shop thats been in business for over 9 years !

DCheaders1.jpg

DCheaders2.jpg

DCheaders3.jpg

DCheaders4.jpg

DCheaders5.jpg

Interesting...

I don't care about them being polished as you can't see them once they are installed. I like how the DCs are equal length as compared to how Comptechs are not. I am only worried about if the DCs flex bellow will crack. The NSX is only driven 1500-3000 miles per year and is not tracked. I can get the DC Sports headers for $400 less than the Comptech headers. Honestly, how often do you think the flex bellow cracks on the DCs design? I would assume it doesn't happen that often or else they would not be able to sell them anymore?

I don't see a flex bellows in those pics. Am I missing something? :confused:

B Feelgood said:
Interesting...

I don't care about them being polished as you can't see them once they are installed. I like how the DCs are equal length as compared to how Comptechs are not. I am only worried about if the DCs flex bellow will crack. The NSX is only driven 1500-3000 miles per year and is not tracked. I can get the DC Sports headers for $400 less than the Comptech headers. Honestly, how often do you think the flex bellow cracks on the DCs design? I would assume it doesn't happen that often or else they would not be able to sell them anymore?

hmmm...

NSXGOD said:
it has not changed unless it happened last night. The 1991-1994 has the flexjoint - the 1991-6 version has the ball-socket joint.

Do you mean 1995-96 (ball-socket)... :confused:

Comptech_Sports Headers:
* $1670 www.rp-motorsports.com (RP-Motorsports/Tom)
* $1695 www.Scienceofspeed.com
* $1699 www.ComptechUSA.com

DC_Sports Headers ('91-'94):
* $962 eBay Stores: RACE OPTIONS
* $1124 www.rp-motorsports.com (RP-Motorsports/Tom)
* $1024.69 www.jdmautogames.com
* $1125 http://www.racerwheel.com
* $1189.95 eBay Stores: Mach 1 Accessories

DC_Sport Headers w/ flex-joint:
racerwheel_1878_478562995
nsx-008.jpg
dcs-headers.jpg

If you're considering headers, and wishing to spend around a grand... consider the B&B headers instead of gambling w/ the DC_Sports (installation of exhaust-manifolds/headers on the NSX is easily 4hrs+ labor; in case of removal/replacement, it'd be another 4hrs+). If you're familiar w/ welding/metal-fabrication, perhaps you can get a muffler-shop to proactively modify the DC_Sports headers prior to installation... :confused:

B&B Headers ('91-'94):
* $1190 www.RP-motorsports.com (RP-Motorsports/Tom)
* $1199.99 www.vividracing.com

NSX Exhaust Manifold Replacement HEADERS: (cost)
Fujutsubo > Comptech_Sport > Taitec > Science of Speed > B&B > DC_Sport > retro-install OEM '97+ (used)

Last edited:
While they might be slightly more expensive than the DC Sports headers, don't forget about the ScienceofSpeed headers. They are also equal length, great construction, and from a reputable vendor that regularly supports the NSX community with various sponsorships. We definitely have had great success with the SOS headers on our car.

Understudy said:
While they might be slightly more expensive than the DC Sports headers, don't forget about the ScienceofSpeed headers. They are also equal length, great construction, and from a reputable vendor that regularly supports the NSX community with various sponsorships. We definitely have had great success with the SOS headers on our car.

they might be great, but they are not CARB legal in CA, so that leaves you with the DC or the CT or you get to R&R them evey 2 years.

NSXGOD said:
they might be great, but they are not CARB legal in CA, so that leaves you with the DC or the CT or you get to R&R them evey 2 years.

That may be true, but not everyone lives in California. And in particular B Feelgood, who posted started this questioning, apparently lives in Pittsburgh, PA. Therefore, the SOS headers may very well be a viable option for him to consider, hence my suggestion.

Re: hmmm...

The SOS headers do look like a cross between the Comptechs/DC's. The design appears to combine the equal length piping with the ball-socket joint. Unfortunately, we do have emission/inspection here so I need a carb legal header. Right now it is between Comptech/DC. I can get the Comptech headers for about $1400 and the DCs for about $1000. I do not track the car and it only gets about 1500-3000 easy miles a year. I have already bought a GruppeM ver. 3 exhaust that I am going to have to take off each year for inspection. I think the flex bellow would actually make aligning the exhaust up a lot easier? For $1000, it seems that the DC headers are hard to beat. The extra $400 could contribute to the GruppeM intake :smile:

B Feelgood said:
Unfortunately, we do have emission/inspection here so I need a carb legal header.

Obviously each state differs slightly in their emissions/inspection requirements. Bear in mind that CA's requirements are probably one of the most stringent in the nation. Just because a product might not be CA CARB legal doesn't mean it won't pass most, if not all, other states' tests.

We do have emissions testing down here in AZ and with the SOS headers & Taitec JGTC Center Exit installed it passed very, very easily (I probably even have the results somewhere). If you're interested in those headers I'd research your state's emissions testing procedures and maybe even talk to Chris@SOS to find out if he knows of anyone in your state that has first hand knowledge with this setup.

Even so if price is your most important requirement it might be tough to beat the DC Sports pricing that you can get. Whatever way you go I'm sure that you'll love enjoy the purchase. :smile:

latzke said:

I had a set of the B&B/RM Racing headers at one time and they used a slip joint instead of a flex joint connection and were not smog legal anyplace since slip joints leak like a sieve hence their abrupt departure 2 years after I bought them.

They made decent HP though.

JMO

NSXGOD said:
I had a set of the B&B/RM Racing headers at one time and they used a slip joint instead of a flex joint connection and were not smog legal anyplace since slip joints leak like a sieve hence their abrupt departure 2 years after I bought them.

They made decent HP though.

JMO

Ditto:).

I have had them for 6 years and about 25Kmiles. They have been reliable, no cracks etc. But the slip joint only seals when they are hot, so you have exhasut leaks while it is warming up. I would have to put them at the bottom on built quality, the welds are sloppy, not like the others shown above, including the DC. Also during the install I had to clearance the front beam, since it interfered with the #6 header pipe. Not my idea of well built.

AJMO,
LarryB

Modernceo said:
The DC sports headers I installed on my car about 6 months ago, were the highest quality aftermarket headers I have ever seen. And I own a automotive performance shop thats been in business for over 9 years !

That is sad to hear and see. This is what we expect in the Motorcycle business, these are Titanium, takes a little more skill, you should demand the same in the auto field. I should mention they are are hand welded not machine welded.

pipe3.jpg

pipe2.jpg

pipe1.jpg

Aratar1collector1.jpg

ArataR1collector2.jpg

ArataR1collector3.jpg

Arata said:
That is sad to hear and see. This is what we expect in the Motorcycle business, these are Titanium, takes a little more skill, you should demand the same in the auto field. I should mention they are are hand welded not machine welded.

Its not sad to hear and see, I have a different clientele, with different budgets, and needs.

I doubt I would be able to sell a Titanium header in my market, especially with the quality youve shown as it would be very, very pricey. Looks great, quality is outstanding, but im sure those headers are upwards of $1000-$1500 even though its a motorcycle header if not more.

My DC Sports headers bought in 2003 rattles at the collector from the front bank. Only remedy is to R/R and reweld or replace, quite a PITA. I do not recommend them.

Modernceo said:
Its not sad to hear and see, I have a different clientele, with different budgets, and needs.

I doubt I would be able to sell a Titanium header in my market, especially with the quality youve shown as it would be very, very pricey. Looks great, quality is outstanding, but im sure those headers are upwards of $1000-$1500 even though its a motorcycle header if not more.

The complete system is $1250 including a $400 muffler. So header and "s" pipe for an Inline 4 is about $850.

Back