• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dead Battery

The Honda battery in my 91 NSX has been dead the past few times I tried to start the car, and it was only sitting about a week each time. I'm wondering if the battery has a warranty, and if it is still under warranty. Does anyone know how to read the battery Service Date code? The following dots are punched out:

April

If I need a new battery, does anyone have any suggestions for brand/model? Thanks for any comments.

Well, I found the receipt for my battery and found that the APR, 9, 6 pop-outs represent APRIL 1996. It's hard to believe the battery in my car lasted 8 years!!!

Still looking for any suggestions on a new battery. Sears? Honda? Other?

Sear Die hard
Interstate

Used both for many years great batteries IMO. I consider anything over 4 years bonus on a battery, Yours had two lives for sure!!

HTH,
LarryB

Also if you car sits much (garage queen) consider a trickle charger from Sears ($35 or so) so your battery doesn't die and leak. You may also want to consider a lighter weight gel type of battery so it doesn't leak. Odyssey sells a good gel battery.

Good luck.

Jeff

Harbor Freight has a battery maintainer for $20 normally / $10 when its on sale. I've been using mine now for 2 yrs. with no problems.:D

Well I decided that since the Honda battery lasted so long, I should get another one. I ran into an interesting situation at the dealer though. I found out the battery that was in my 1991 5-speed was listed as the battery for an automatic NSX. This was part #

31500-SD4-A11AH

The battery listed for a 5-speed NSX is

31500-SL5-A02

The battery for the auto had more cold cranking amps (550 vs. 490 I believe). The price was the same, so I thought I should take the stronger battery which is also the same one that had been in my car. Does anyone know why Honda would have a different battery for autos vs. manuals, why the auto battery would be stronger, or if there would be any reason NOT to use the stronger battery in my car?

Agree it is probably related to the electric power steeting. Price may be the same --- but the one with higher CCA will weigh more. Won't hurt anything, just a little more weight in the car. Probably not a huge difference in weight for only 10% more CCA. But if someone is really worried about weight they could get one of the lightweight batteries anyway.

Back