• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dealer muffler installation

Originally posted by BostonNSX:
shouldn't take that long ...

Sure it should!

They had to:

- Type up the service contract (type set of course)
- Make copies of your key for all their buddies (for future use)
- Setup an autocross course behind the dealership and have a tournament (double elimination) to flog your car
- Setup a 1/4 strip behind the car and have a tournament for the biggest burnout and the best time (winner was awarded your CD Player)
- Go for a taco run (they forgot one under your seat if you were wondering about the smell)
- Take a little nap in your car (thanks for leaving the classical music)

and...

- Oh yeah - replace the exhaust (15 min's top)

Yep - sounds like you were charged just right!

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Nick --

Taco under the seat... LOL!!
biggrin.gif

My dad once found a used condom under his seat after it had been at the dealer. Needless to say, he got free oil changes from that dealer for life to keep that one quiet.

I installed my comptech cat-backs in about 1 hour. (before that I had been under a NSX a grand total of 2 times) In my opinion, 3hrs plus is way way to long for a "certified pro" to install them.

regards

Originally posted by huckster:
just had the tubi installed---3hrs plus and 270$??!!!

any comments from others who have done/paid for install?

Had a Taitec GT parallel (91-96 version) installed on my 2001 NSX. Required custom adapter pipes with mandrel bending and 3 hours of labor. Very nice job. I can go back to stock anytime, or I can now install any exhaust designed for the older NSX with the new adapter pipes. (Aftermarket Exhausts for 91-96 NSXs are usually $200-$300 cheaper, if available at all).
Charge was $150 tax included.
Took it to Meineke.

just had the tubi installed---3hrs plus and 270$??!!!

any comments from others who have done/paid for install?

I've done an exhaust install, along with the Tiatec rear diffuser and it took about five hours, including monkeying around for about an hour or so.

If this is only a quote that you got, go shopping some more. There's no reason it should take more than 30 minutes at a cost of maybe $75 by a local gargae.

WELL, the 'certified nsx mechanic' apparently speaks little/broken english, so maybe he was talking japanese.

man, acura dealers can really really really suck. i would NEVER buy another new acura from a local dealer based upon my bad experiences locally. i wish LEXUS made the nsx.

oh s*%*, did i just say that!?

A great dealer service department can make the ownership experience a real pleasure. And a bad dealer service department can have the opposite effect.

huckster, are both the dealers in your town bad? If you haven't tried the other one, maybe it's time...

Also, I would let the service manager know that you are dissatisfied. Not demand anything in return, just let him/her know.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 31 August 2002).]

I am the other smucko that went Wolfe Acura for the Tubi install. I'm no master mechanic but i've done my share of wrenching. I was under the assumption that it wouldn't be to hard to install myself. My right side bolts wouldn't move, even after all the tricks. Heck I had an hour under the car on jack stands and I figured let Acura do it as its costing me money being under here. I called them and they gave me a quote of $264 and a 3 hr job. I assumed after others on this site stated that it wouldn't take that long, they would just be charging the $88 an/hr rate which I confirmed w/them b/f I went... Yea I got a job alright. After thinking about this, I think their service fees are fixed, which sucks. They quoted $942 for water pump/timing belt service and $49 for oil change so I assume its such with Wolfe Acura. I figured less than what I paid, didn't suspect set fees, if so I would have just taken it to a regular shop. Hear in KC we only have to dealers, the other is Superior. I guess we'll check them out next time.

Signed,

Bent over

Lesson learned, never assume. I posted above about the set pricing @ Wolfe Acura in KC ($264 for exhaust install) but couldn't confirm. Well I just did, spoke w/a customer service rep and they confirmed it for me. Set pricing on exhaust install amoung others for NSX. "Well thanks for coming to Wolfe Acura for your service needs" and if you need a proctologist, will take care of that too!!!!

Damn! For that kind of money - come to St. Louis and I will do it!

Seriously - I will change a flat rate of $200 for any exhaust removal. I won't even charge extra for liquid wrench used on the project!

Don't feel bad - my dealer is SUCH a ripoff that I was forced to learn how to use the manual, the internet, and buy tools to do a lot of it myself. I was charged 4 hours labor to bleed the brakes (not ABS). I looked at them and complained and they figured out I wasn't stupid so they only charged me 1/2 hour. Many times they are under EXTREME pressure to make profit and the owner does not know that they are not being ethical. I would write the owner and relate your experiance and let him know what WE all said and how easy it was.

------------------
Nick M

I had the local Honda dealer here in South Bend do it (my closest Acura dealer is about 2 hours away) and they charged me only $50.00 and were thrilled to do the job. In fact they were hyped just to have an nsx in there. I can't believe what some dealers will charge, reminds me of my Porsche days where I was afraid to have the car break becuase I knew the dealer would screw me in any way possible
smile.gif

Aaron
94 Green/Tan #268

Hey, why take it to the dealer, why not take it to an exhaust specialty shop! I took my Supertrapp Comp. to a local exhaust specialty shop and had it installed for $40.00! It took longer for me to finish my cup of coffee! Oh, I have a '92 and all of the bolts had to be replaced because they were so rusted and old. I quess if you're not carefull, you can really hurt your wallet!

Had I known that I was gonna get such a screwing both Huckster & I would have taken it to a muffler shop. Again, I didn't think that was a common practice w/set charges. I just wish that I would have thought to do some emergency hand braking 180's w/that automatic Interga they gave me to drive.

well, i guess its official, all our local acura dealers suck. i dont even feel like telling you about the other dealer in kc. paid 100$ to have them remove the speaker and amp assembly and all they did was remove the speaker.

my only choices are the 'big bad wolf' acura or the 'inferior' acura. if you know the names of the local dealers you'll get this.

by the way tom, when i mentioned that my car should have taken less time than yours they actually said mine took a little more, because they had a hard time getting my bolts out. NOW I HAVE A SMALL OIL LEAK!!!

coincidence? anyone have any thoughts on this?

3 hours for a dealership to install an exhaust on an NSX is completely ridiculous. I’ve only done 4 or 5 installs and can do them in a ½ hour or less—and I’m not that good of a mechanic. I generally expect to pay a premium when I take my car to the dealership and would think that 1 or 1.5 hours would be a fair charge.

There should be no connection between an exhaust swap and an oil leak.

DanO

well, i guess its official, all our local Acura dealers suck. i don't even feel like telling you about the other dealer in kc. paid 100$ to have them remove the speaker and amp assembly and all they did was remove the speaker....should have taken less time than yours they actually said mine took a little more, because they had a hard time getting my bolts out. NOW I HAVE A SMALL OIL LEAK!!!

Huckster - I live in St. Louis and we have a good mechanic and an OK dealer. Does either have a Acura NSX certified tech? If so - find his name, call the dealership during lunch, and offer him $30/hour to work on the side. This is great cash money for them and is a lot more then most of them make. For big jobs you may want to consider flying the "Barn Man" in as I do when I need major surgery done.

As for the oil leak - there is absolutely no way the could have worked the oil pan or the drain plug loose on an install. Put a piece of cardboard under the car and collect it. Make sure it is oil and not something else.

I had an oil leak develop after a couple weeks on my drain plug. Another 20 fl/lbs of torque on the crush washer fixed that. If the dealer did not replace the crush washer on the last install or did not tighten down the oil filter - you could definitely see a small oil leak. Also - sometimes the filter will only leak under higher pressure so it is harder to detect at rest.

------------------
Nick M

If I owned a shop I'd charge 3 hours if it was a Tubi! In the case of the Tubi exhaust (which I truly enjoy BTW), I can see most people spending at least three hours for a careful install! With the Tubi you have to futz around with poorly placed stainless steel hangers that place the tips too close to the plastic valance. You don't actually know how bad the fitment problem is until you install the unit and see it. Then you have to remove it, put it on the ground and bend the thick hangers with a pry bar, hoping you don't break them or yourself in the process. Then you reintall the Tubi to see if it fits right. If not, you again remove it and bend it and reinstall it!!! That can take at least three hours. If the Tubi exhaust were manfactured with more precision and fit right the firsdt time, then the install should take no more that 1 hour.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Back