• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dealers combing their dusty databases to try to move 2018 cars

Check post 128 above - someone got charged $490

The service prices are anything but flat.

I believe the owner who paid $490 lives in an area where a 7 figure income is "so what".

My in City Chicago dealer is at $375.

Oil change prices will be all over the place due to labor rates and what labor time the particular dealer wants to charge. Realistically, it’s a two hour job. But maybe some dealers only want to charge one hour. There’s appropriately $120 in materials. Some dealers out there are under $100/hr and some are over $200/hr.
Dealer charged me for 2 hours labor, plus supplies, used Mobil 1, 0W-40, European Car Formula. They told me $490 up front and I thought that was high. He called the dealer where I bought it in the NE and they quoted $499.

Dont think area and income played a part. For some around here, yes, it is “so what.” I pulled in at 8:30 and left at 11:30 so 2 hours labor seems fair. If your dealer eats the second hour, bonus for you.

Well, the R35 GT-R manages 2.8-2.9s to 60MPH with no batteries, and it's been doing this since 2012. The Porsche 911 Turbo S is even faster, at 2.6s, also with no batteries. Unfortunately, there is no metric in terms of speed that the NSX excels at. It can't claim bragging rights to 60, 1/4 mile, lap times, lateral grip or top speed. People buy cars in this price range to either have the best performance metric in a category (or more) or for brand prestige. In this regard, the NSX unfortunately fails. Now if all the hybrid gear made it ridiculously fast we would be looking at different monthly sales numbers from Honda...
No doubt Porsche are quick, fast, etc... but they all look the same and feel the same inside. I see Turbos in the grocery store parking lot. For me they miss in the prestige part except for the C-GT. I wanted something different.

The service prices are anything but flat.

I believe the owner who paid $490 lives in an area where a 7 figure income is "so what".

My in City Chicago dealer is at $375.

Ask Bob. The area I live in probably has the highest number of seven figure cars on top of that. :D

Dealer charged me for 2 hours labor, plus supplies, used Mobil 1, 0W-40, European Car Formula. They told me $490 up front and I thought that was high. He called the dealer where I bought it in the NE and they quoted $499.

Dont think area and income played a part. For some around here, yes, it is “so what.” I pulled in at 8:30 and left at 11:30 so 2 hours labor seems fair. If your dealer eats the second hour, bonus for you.

I actually thought my dealer would be on the high end but they are more in the middle.

The tech mentioned they use oil from Acura. I believe he said that it comes in a 7 liter jug with an NSX logo on it.

you've made some good points earlier mate, but just for fun i'll ask you a question or two. as you said above, if Honda has some of the finest engineers in the world working on this car and it was so easy to take that 573 number and turn it into 650, don't you think they'd have done it already?what have they needed to do with it since then? they were the first, knocked it well out of the park, and got all the recognition and good press for doing so. not that any of those brands needed it. the Italians, Germans, and Brits used the futuristic tech in ways that were revolutionary. the NSX came to the party late (not the Hypercar soiree of course), and tried to emulate and build on that bandwagon, then got it's butt kicked in performance by those very brand's models which weren't using any of that fancy tech. which for obvious reasons made a lot of people ask, "what was the point then?" all in all, that has to be embarrassing for Honda. the NSX is a very nice car. but it seems Honda missed the mark in a lot of ways. market, performance, price, etc.exactly. if anyone really thought this car was a bargain Porsche 918, or a revolutionary Supercar, Acura would have sold heaps more than 5 last month... :redface:
The answer as to why no more horsepower is RELIABILITY..... Engineers have to balance power and reliability. With increased horsepower comes an increase in unreliability, and an increase in cost. To gain additional HP from 500, you are talking about more expensive parts like titanium valves, etc (does it already have TI valves?). The point is HP cost money, how fast do you want to go. Honda builds and races Formula 1 engines, 800 HP out of 1.6L...... They could drop one into the NSX, but the car would cost $800,000 and you'd have to rebuild it every 1500 miles. I think the hybrid system takes some of the stress off the ICE and the rest of the drivetrain. I think the Honda placed a heavy emphasis on reliability, and went conservative on HP to ensure reliability. I have heard bad things about the reliability and maintenance costs of Ferrari, McLaren, etc..... We are past the point where it makes any sense to debate the coulda, woulda shoulda's of what Honda could have done. It may not be the best of the best, but it's not too far off, and a very interesting ride..... I'm keepin mine!!

you've made some good points earlier mate, but just for fun i'll ask you a question or two. as you said above, if Honda has some of the finest engineers in the world working on this car and it was so easy to take that 573 number and turn it into 650, don't you think they'd have done it already?

what have they needed to do with it since then? they were the first, knocked it well out of the park, and got all the recognition and good press for doing so. not that any of those brands needed it. the Italians, Germans, and Brits used the futuristic tech in ways that were revolutionary. the NSX came to the party late (not the Hypercar soiree of course), and tried to emulate and build on that bandwagon, then got it's butt kicked in performance by those very brand's models which weren't using any of that fancy tech. which for obvious reasons made a lot of people ask, "what was the point then?" all in all, that has to be embarrassing for Honda.

the NSX is a very nice car. but it seems Honda missed the mark in a lot of ways. market, performance, price, etc.

exactly. if anyone really thought this car was a bargain Porsche 918, or a revolutionary Supercar, Acura would have sold heaps more than 5 last month... :redface:

The Germans, Brits, and Italians made great cars to showcase what they can do. But where is the trickle down? The entire point of making these expensive cars that very few can afford is to trickle that technology down to the masses as they continue to develop and refine it. When will the 488, 570, or Huracan have a hybrid variant that sells for under $300k? Yes that is not cheap and affordable by any means but it is exponentially more affordable than the million dollar plus cars that technology debuted on. The hyper 3 was incredible, but we have yet to see the development that came from those projects. I believe Acura has placed themselves in an excellent market position for the future of hybrid supercars. They got their platform out early and can build it from here to be the best.

I just had a discussion with a local client who bought 2 NSX's from me, he was considering selling his personal car for a Mclaren 650s because of the fond memories he had in that car. I asked him how much he has been driving the NSX since he bought it. He had driven the car less than 200 miles. Spoke to him a week later and he was preaching an entirely different tune. He got out and drove it and pushed it and fell in love with it all over again. With the internet now so often people get stuck into analysis paralysis when comparing cars whether it is a supercar, or a small family car. Get out and drive and enjoy the NSX for what it is. I never get out of the drivers seat after a drive and think to myself "I wish this car had more". Maybe you do. For those folks I am simply saying stay tuned. I have faith in the engineers and executives and everyone behind the scenes. Again maybe I am the only one who does..

I think everyone seems to forget that there is only one car that I can think of that has a lower MSRP that does the same things and that is the GTR. Base GTR starts at $100k and head to head is dead even with the NSX in nearly every competition. To be faster and have better numbers you need to spend more money and get the Nismo. Same goes for the R8 and the plus variant. The NSX base varient at $156,000 is as much new supercar as you can buy right now. Yes you can get the other cars faster but you need to spend more $$$. We still don't know what the performance variant NSX will be or cost. We get stuck comparing the NSX to other models fastest, most expensive models and forget this is just the base car.

The car launched at 573, it is only on its second model year, I think everyone learned from Mclaren that new updates and car's every year is the quickest way to shoot yourself in the foot and kill values. Not that Acura didn't find another way to do that...anyways the car as it sits has 500hp out of the gasoline engine which I think could go untouched, that's a pretty good number there and seems to be their balance between reliability and performance. The best thing they could do and have said they will do is use more powerful electric motors.

Motors up front are 36hp each for 72 on the front axle and the rear motor is 47hp. With where electric cars/hybrids and the technology is at in 2018 I don't think it is unreasonable to have 75 to 100hp per motor up front. The direct drive motor is the one that is the hardest to bump up the power since it is sandwiched between the engine and transmission and would be fine left as is. The motors up front shouldn't be to large of a task for them at all.

The benefit here is then drastically increasing your 0-60 times, as it has been well discussed here electric motors are brutally fast, much easier and cheaper to make a car faster there than in the combustion engine. The other improvement that does not get talked about as much is how the handling would be even better than it already is. The car is great in slower and more technical corners as those motors can us their torque vectoring effectively there. But there is such a difference between the power over the rear axle and the front. In a high speed sweeper the front motors simply can't keep up and at a certain point become useless. Giving them more power and torque allows them to have more powerful torque vectoring at all speeds.

At this point it is all speculation. Just have to wait and see what 2019 will hold.

Also, our dealership charges $400 for the oil change. I'm guessing the differences across the country are due to labor rates as everyone else mentioned.

Last edited:
Car business 101. Always keep something held back so you can release a more powerful version a couple years after the base car car comes out.

sure, but isn't car business 102 to not release your current HALO performance car with less horsepower than everyone else? and then not be rapidly outclassed with their successive or updated models?

The answer as to why no more horsepower is RELIABILITY..... Engineers have to balance power and reliability. With increased horsepower comes an increase in unreliability, and an increase in cost. To gain additional HP from 500, you are talking about more expensive parts like titanium valves, etc (does it already have TI valves?).

the R8, Huracan, 488, etc. all have extremely reliable powertrains, and all make more power than the NSX. the Huracan Performante is now up to 640, the 488 makes almost 100 more horsepower than the NSX. there's an example of a big old school V10 and a small turbo V8. if Italian engineers can make more reliable horsepower, one would expect the same from the Japanese. wherein lies the problem, which has been discussed earlier a bazillion times. the NSX is a truly fantastic car, but the competition is even better...

With the internet now so often people get stuck into analysis paralysis when comparing cars whether it is a supercar, or a small family car. Get out and drive and enjoy the NSX for what it is. I never get out of the drivers seat after a drive and think to myself "I wish this car had more". Maybe you do.

as i stated earlier in this thread, the NSX is a truly exceptional car. it's very fast, handles well, stops well, etc. no question about that. if you drive only it you'll never think you'd need or want more, especially on the street. it's only if you drive it back-to-back with the competition that'll you even realise there is more. like all things, it's all relative. the biggest problem for the NSX is the competition it faces...

The Germans, Brits, and Italians made great cars to showcase what they can do. But where is the trickle down? The entire point of making these expensive cars that very few can afford is to trickle that technology down to the masses as they continue to develop and refine it.

where is the trickle down? i don't think Ferrari and McLaren are too concerned with trickle down. they make Supercars, not excuses.

as for Porsche, i do believe they have trickled down their hybrid technology to other models of their line.

but there are no laws stating a company must trickle technology from their HALO cars to their minivans and SUV's, or that they must be affordable. those companies make whatever cars they want to, however they want to. and they seem to be selling more than 5 a month...

I could not have afforded to buy a Huracan, 488, R8, etc...... With rebates, etc. I was able to afford to buy an NSX and join the supercar crowd. Pretty much simple as that for me..... But it's been a good place to start..... Maybe someday, I can afford to own a "real" supercar, but until then I'll have to settle for my 2nd rate NSX.....

where is the trickle down? i don't think Ferrari and McLaren are too concerned with trickle down. they make Supercars, not excuses.

as for Porsche, i do believe they have trickled down their hybrid technology to other models of their line.

but there are no laws stating a company must trickle technology from their HALO cars to their minivans and SUV's, or that they must be affordable. those companies make whatever cars they want to, however they want to. and they seem to be selling more than 5 a month...
acura defied gravity with a trickle UP effect, that's why they're amazing. the hybrid system went from the RLX to the NSX to the MDX.

I think it's somewhat ludicrous to compare the NSX to a 488.... You're talking about a car that is worth $300K well equipped? For that difference in money you'd damn sure expect that it would kick the NSX's ass in all aspects. That's $160K more than what I paid for my NSX. If anything, it's a big compliment to the NSX to even be mentioned in the same breath as a car of that caliber. Supercars are in multiple financial tiers, and as a buyer you're limited by the amount of cash you have available. I'd love to have a La Ferrari, or a 918, but I can't afford one, perhaps never will, so why do I care how it compares to my NSX?? I imagine there's some poor soul out there that had to settle for a $1.8M Porsche 918 because he couldn't afford the $3.0M Bugatti Chiron. All a guy can do is buy what he feels is the most bang for the buck that he has at his disposal. I continue to maintain that the NSX is a bargain supercar after the Acura $30K rebate......

I think it's somewhat ludicrous to compare the NSX to a 488.... You're talking about a car that is worth $300K well equipped? For that difference in money you'd damn sure expect that it would kick the NSX's ass in all aspects. That's $160K more than what I paid for my NSX. If anything, it's a big compliment to the NSX to even be mentioned in the same breath as a car of that caliber. Supercars are in multiple financial tiers, and as a buyer you're limited by the amount of cash you have available. I'd love to have a La Ferrari, or a 918, but I can't afford one, perhaps never will, so why do I care how it compares to my NSX?? I imagine there's some poor soul out there that had to settle for a $1.8M Porsche 918 because he couldn't afford the $3.0M Bugatti Chiron. All a guy can do is buy what he feels is the most bang for the buck that he has at his disposal. I continue to maintain that the NSX is a bargain supercar after the Acura $30K rebate......

Amen. I too was priced out of the NSX when it first launched and I didn't even look at it at a dealership. Same goes with the Fcar and Lambo. They are too expensive and I was worried about maintenance costs. The McLaren doesn't seem like it's good for daily use, and I know my wife wouldn't like riding in or driving one. I had a 996TT cabriolet already, so the new NSX was logical as it filled all my needs. When the 30k rebate hit and with the additional I got off, the lease deal was too good to pass on.

Amen. I too was priced out of the NSX when it first launched and I didn't even look at it at a dealership. Same goes with the Fcar and Lambo. They are too expensive and I was worried about maintenance costs. The McLaren doesn't seem like it's good for daily use, and I know my wife wouldn't like riding in or driving one. I had a 996TT cabriolet already, so the new NSX was logical as it filled all my needs. When the 30k rebate hit and with the additional I got off, the lease deal was too good to pass on.

bad sales certainly helped out many new NSX buyers, which is a big positive obviously. many a person on this forum got huge discounts. the biggest i saw was $60,000 off MSRP.

you're right in your assumptions about a McLaren. it isn't the best daily driver. it's by far the most difficult to get in and out of. it's super easy to drive, just like any of the others, but it's by far the most track/sporting oriented. the 488 is like a Camry in comparison. until you push the throttle...

I could not have afforded to buy a Huracan, 488, R8, etc...... With rebates, etc. I was able to afford to buy an NSX and join the supercar crowd. Pretty much simple as that for me..... But it's been a good place to start..... Maybe someday, I can afford to own a "real" supercar, but until then I'll have to settle for my 2nd rate NSX.....

never said your car was second rate, nor implied it.

the Audi R8 is very similarly priced to the NSX. itself also a real Supercar, second rate or otherwise. the Plus version is absolutely ridiculous. and when it comes to pricing these type of cars, i'm certain some prospective buyers would factor in low mile, pre-owned examples to brand new NSX prices. i would...

Supercars are Supercars mate. they are all compared to each other. that's why they have Supercar comparisons and all are included. the pricing is not what makes a Supercar, it's the materials, construction, capabilities, and out-of-range for the average person price tags. some are more than others, but they're all in the same category. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Audi, McLaren, Mercedes AMG, etc., that's who Acura is competing against. like it or not, that is what the NSX is compared to. just like the first generation model in 1991.

as for the 918, Bugatti, Le Ferrari, etc., those are Hypercars. it's a very different category...

Yes but again show me supercar that starts under $156,000 that has more horsepower, torque, and is faster 0-60. Closest you can come up with is the GTR which as a base model has slightly less horsepower and identical acceleration times. To actually get a GTR that is faster you are looking at $177k for the Nismo. Same goes for the R8 and the v10 plus variant.

I would say the fact that it gets mentioned and compared to 488, huracan, and 570s is a testament to the fact that the NSX is a great car at $156k.

911 Turbo S and R8 V10+ and 570S can't beat the 488 either...no one's complaining all over the internet about how terrible Porsche/Audi/Mclaren is....and yet Honda gets ragged on because it can't deliver a Ferrari-beating car for half the price.

Yes but again show me supercar that starts under $156,000 that has more horsepower, torque, and is faster 0-60. Closest you can come up with is the GTR which as a base model has slightly less horsepower and identical acceleration times.
How about just close in price? The 911 Turbo starts at $162k and tests faster than the NSX 0-60. More horsepower isn't much of a selling point when the car is heavier and slower.
The NSX was the more expensive car when it came out (the steel brake base NSX was vaporware for about nine months).

Yes but again show me supercar that starts under $156,000 that has more horsepower, torque, and is faster 0-60. Closest you can come up with is the GTR which as a base model has slightly less horsepower and identical acceleration times. To actually get a GTR that is faster you are looking at $177k for the Nismo. Same goes for the R8 and the v10 plus variant.

I would say the fact that it gets mentioned and compared to 488, huracan, and 570s is a testament to the fact that the NSX is a great car at $156k.

as Tom 239 said above, it is a great car, but no one is buying it...

No question price point was the car's biggest Achilles heel. I have always felt that this was NOT a $200K car. It was a $156K car with $45k worth of dealer ordered carbon fiber added. This does not make it a $200K car..... The cars sold at the adjusted prices in the $140-50K range. Perhaps Honda figured to compete with $200K priced cars you had to be priced at $200K? But the additional option costs did nothing for the car in terms of performance. But had they priced the car with an MSRP of $125K, would there have been a perception that it's cheap and not competitive with the R8, Huracan, etc??? Would there have been an implied thought that they priced it lower because it wasn't as good?? And Yes, no one is buying the car...... It's a unique, perhaps even oddball car, and maybe buyers are a little different, and few and far in between than your average supercar buyer...... Maybe Acura has already found the bulk of buyers that are ever going to buy the car? The early cars, for many years only sold 200 or so cars a year for many years. Maybe Acura will be happy selling 60 cars per year over the long haul. The majority of investment in the car has already been made and written off.......?

I for one am tired of reading about how slow the NSX is compared to it's counter parts. I would like to see some side by side video comparisons.
I'm even willing to be the NSX part of the race.

I am confident the NSX will hold it's own against the R8+ and the 488 along with the 570. I'm not saying it would win just saying for a car with a a little less HP it would be a close 2nd place.

If the only thing important about a car was being the absolute quickest then we would all own the exact same thing... Clearly there is more to ownership than drag slip times.

Last edited:
I for one am tired of reading about how slow the NSX is compared to it's counter parts. I would like to see some side by side video comparisons.

I am confident the NSX will hold it's own against the R8+ and the 488 along with the 570. I'm not saying it would win just saying for a car with a a little less HP it would be a close 2nd place.

If the only thing important about a car was being the absolute quickest then we would all own the exact same thing... Clearly there is more to ownership than drag slip times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoNAt9bQZtY

That is the best one out there. Get's walked by the 570, r8 v10 plus, and the NSX and GTR are almost side by side. Basically what I would have expected with the NSX and GTR being interchangeable. I will say I have yet to get beat by a GTR in any race with the NSX but maybe I just got lucky? People seem to forget that the GTR is 3900 pounds and the R8 is anywhere from 3,500 to nearly 4,000. NSX is barely over 3800.

I can't seem to find anything between the base R8 and the NSX. I did just notice the $138,000 base version is the RWD model. To get the AWD R8 you are looking at $164,000. You can load that model up with Carbon Ceramic brakes and carbon fiber to be $199,500. A non Nismo GTR maxes out at about $138,000 and a 911 turbo can be loaded up over $250k easily.

The only supercar that is cheaper and as fast or faster is the GTR. The 911 Turbo at $161,000 is at roughly the same price point and faster as well. I knew Porsche should have something there just didn't know which it would be.

I think we should all be in agreement that the NSX is far more beautiful than the competition in the $150k price bracket..GTR and 911 don't look bad but certainly do not look like anything special. I personally liked the first gen R8 better than the new ones when it comes to looks as well. The NSX is certainly the most exotic looking to my eyes..

I am also curious about driving experience of those other cars in the price segment. I've driven both R8 levels plus as well as the 911 turbo but no time behind the wheel of the GTR. I've also got time in the 650s spider, Ferrari 458, and huracan spider and I would still say my driving experience in the NSX was by far my favorite.

Something about the steering feel and the zero delay response in the NSX always keeps me coming back. The steering in the NSX lock to lock is 1.9 turns and it feels amazing to drive in my hands. Probably my favorite part especially with the awesome steering wheel shape and contours.

I don't think any owner who has posted on prime regrets their decision...that said I'm not on facepalm...for you guys who are on the owners group is there anyone who has prematurely terminated ownership., and why?

dshinke21 thanks for the video I do remember watching that now and it's pretty much as I figured except I have never seen a race where the R8+ beat the 570s.
As for the GTR beating the nsx is't possible the driver of the nsx wasn't using launch control.

Like I said before not every car can be 1st place. If all I cared about was being the fastest i would have bought the mclaren 570 for about the same money however I don't like the looks or the interior of the 570.

I always get a chuckle over the "i won the quarter mile straight line" argument. DocJohn and I have been tracking our '96s for almost two decades on road courses all over the country and hp doesn't mean anything if you don't know how to turn right and left and use your brakes properly....... :tongue:

p.s. here is DocJohn staying on the tail of NASCAR's David Reutimann who was practicing for the upcoming Cup race after our track days at Watkins Glen.

i-JzmsQW7-XL.jpg

i-CLf3fpp-XL.jpg

i-cZHJPDt-XL.jpg

Last edited:
word .......it aint fun till somebody pukes:biggrin:

The car is very quick to 120 after which it falls flat. Off the line the car scoots but its weight eventually starts to slow it down. Pretty much any of the competition would walk it badly at higher speeds. It is simply not 2018 supercar fast. That said I feel it's a pretty complete package.

MC

2017 NSX
2015 Jaguar F-type coupe R
1996 Acura NSX-T
2003 Mazda Miata
1995 Mazda Miata #02
2008 Chevy Corvette Z06
2008 Chevy Corvette
2011 Cadillac CTS-V

I always get a chuckle over the "i won the quarter mile straight line" argument. DocJohn and I have been tracking our '96s for almost two decades on road courses all over the country and hp doesn't mean anything if you don't know how to turn right and left and use your brakes properly....... :tongue:

p.s. here is DocJohn staying on the tail of a NASCAR driver who was practicing for the upcoming Cup race after our track days at Watkins Glen.

A

i-cZHJPDt-XL.jpg

Nice pic. Planning on getting the car on track a Sebring. As soon as recover from back surgery.

2017 NSX
2015 Jaguar F-type coupe R
1996 Acura NSX-T
2003 Mazda Miata
1995 Mazda Miata #02
2008 Chevy Corvette Z06
2008 Chevy Corvette
2011 Cadillac CTS-V

Back