• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dealing with insurance question....

This might be in the wrong section, wasn't sure if it would necessarily fall into paint care/detailing section. But someone hit my car today while it was parked in a parking lot. Hit and run, no note etc. Grrrr. Anyway, hit the drivers side rear quarter panel just in fron of the wheel. About $1200 in damage I am quoted as of now. The body shop guy says that it's not going to match though cause my paint isn't like new after daily driving and it's 14 years old. I need to get the front painted anyway due to lots of chips, but the body has no dings or dents otherwise. Question is, can I barter with State Farm saying that it isn't going to match due to the age, and get them to help out with getting it all right? Anyone else have any experience with this? I am afraid that with the type of car I am out of luck, but I have had two other cars totaled by uninsured drivers, now this. But it's been a while since I have had to deal with them. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

First of all, don't believe your body shop. A really good body shop can match the color of any paint. That's their job. Even if the paint is 14 years old, the color can be matched. If the paint has faded, the new paint might be more glossy than the old, but that's a separate issue and has nothing to do with what was caused by this incident.

So no, you can't barter with State Farm claiming that more of the car needs to be repainted because your body shop doesn't know what they're talking about. Find a better body shop.

You also might ask NSXprime username pbassjo, who is the resident expert in NSX body work.

I agree with nsxtasy, I would ask around and find a better body shop. They should be able to use a special tool to determine the proper mixture of paints for them, and it should match perfect I would think. OBVIOUSLY you cant just take the acura paint code and use that.

Thanks for the tips. The car is black. No damage to the vent, just after the vent and not quite to the outside of the wheel well, bent the inner fender well in the process though. I have been putting off getting the front painted from all the chips, etc. so I am thinking I should bite the bullet anyway and get the bumper and hood painted. He did say that with some proper buffing of the rest of the car to get rid of some oxidation they should be able to get the rest of the car awfully close to make it not so apparent that it was repainted in that area. The rear bumper has a small area of cracking paint that has started to chip away as well from somebody else who managed to brush the corner of the rear bumper enough to crack the paint. So I am thinking new paint on front and rear bumpers, hood too (cause it's bad from chips) and some touchup on a few other miscellaneous chips with some good paint care for the rest and it should be looking practically new again. Thanks, guessing probably in the neighborhood of about $1000 for the above mentioned besides the area that will be covered under my uninsured coverage. Caliber Collision is who I have dealt with so far. Apparently that's who my Acura Dealership refers to since they don't have in house body shop. Thanks.

Unless your car is badly faded the shop should be able to match the black paint and not have to blend into the door. I'd shop around or, better yet, get in touch with some other NSX owners down your way for a solid referral.
Dealer refereed shops are sometimes the shop that gives the dealer the best deal and/or give the dealer a commission on the referred repair work.
Not all dealers are great repair shops and not all dealers are experts on your car.
Ask your fellow NSX owners in your region for a shop.

If you're already planning to paint both bumpers, the hood, 1 rear quarter panel as well as other chipped areas, it may be in your best interest to just paint the entire car. That would certainly take care of your paint matching problem as well as any oxidation.

Black acually is a hard color to get an exact match. The body shop is probably just trying to "cover" itself in case you see a difference. I recently had a door done by the best shop in my large city. It looks good 95% of the time, but under some light conditions you can see a different amount of brown in the black. The best way if they will do it is to get them to do a test panel and them look at it outside. Thats what we did just to get it as close as we did. Paintwork is not like the old days when there were not so many color variants. Good luck. ps-offer to pay them for the panel match work. If they balk, they are obviously not up to the task.

I would specifically request that the section when painted not have any orange peel. I had part of the drivers door painted from my neighbor backed into my motorcycle which then fell into my car. Figured while it was in there getting the dents taken out I would have the nose and rear bumper painted as well which had various rock chips and scratches over the years. The bumber and front came out fine.. the door looks like crap in my opinion due to the obvious orange peel. You can really tell were they painted and at this point I'm not sure what to really do. Just complain and have them paint it again or take it to a different shop and pay out of pocket. NSX paint is pretty good quality so the part that they are repainting needs to also be good quality. I for one would just paint the nose (the urathane parts) for now but not the hood unless it's really bad shape. If they did a bad job on the hood you would really be able to tell right away.

Thanks all for the advice. I have opted to have the entire front end painted , door mirrors, and the rear bumper in addition to the left rear quarter panel which was damaged. They are going to go over all the other panels and fix a few small chips/scratches and then spend some time buffing off any oxidation etc. to really bring the shine back so it will compare to the new paint. It sounds worse than it is, the paint isn't in bad shape per say by any means, I have taken care of it well, but isn't exactly in new condition either ( it has 121,000 miles on it). The car looks good, and most people wouldn't think twice about the condition, but I think that if it's going to be in a body shop for a couple weeks I would like to get it all looking looking new again, not just a quarter panel. The advice given has been helpful thanks ! , and I will be sure to hold them to their word that there shouldn't be any matching issues. Note to self...be sure to look over VERY carefully before signing off on it when done!

tmc/nsx said:
Thanks all for the advice. I have opted to have the entire front end painted

*It's not hard to take off the nose of the NSX. The body shop will have to do it anyway and charge you $$$. Save some $ and remove the rear bumper as well.

Just my .02 cents:wink:

Part of the issue here was time is of the essence. I leave on vacation tomorrow morning, and will be gone for a week. So I wanted to get this rolling and get it to the shop today so they can start it, and that way I wouldn't have to deal with renting a car for a week, saving me some downtime since I will be gone anyway. Thanks.

Back