• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dear Primers - I Need Your Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I met Hugh at nsxpo 2006, great guy and life of the party but that is all I know. I would recommend everyone do some investigation before sending money. Google search is a good place to start.

thanks for that, Brian - after reading your post I did just that. the search results have left me with regret that I pp'd money when I read the original post.

I think Hugh may be more bipolar.....but yes I think folks have to do some research as the heart is not critical.

I met Hugh at nsxpo 2006, great guy and life of the party but that is all I know. I would recommend everyone do some investigation before sending money. Google search is a good place to start.

Woof. I did do a Google search but in full name only. Including the name + address provides some interesting info that would certainly give pause.

thanks for that, Brian - after reading your post I did just that. the search results have left me with regret that I pp'd money when I read the original post.

Considering that info, I can only hope that the meager amount of money I gave is going to help him in a positive way…and not enable him.

Hugh,

Regardless of external circumstances, I sincerely hope you find your way to a better place. We've all been in dark places to varying degrees. When I have gone through some of my darker times, I find that I eventually come out the other end a better and happier person. The really interesting thing is that to anyone looking in, my life would look very similar. It wasn't the outside that changed, it was the lens I saw it through.

What I find separates the people that I associate myself with from those I don't is not the person that went into the dark but rather the person that came out. One of the quotes about life that I subscribe to is that 'most of life is just how you respond to what is going on around you.' Sounds simple, but really drives some pretty big changes.

Another thing I have found through the ups and downs of life is that how you see things, generally impacts how they are. And I don't mean that in the same way as the paragraph above. I mean that if you go through the same exact day in a good mood, it tends to bring better things later. In that same day, if you are in a bad mood, worse things come back later. As far as a lesson I have taken, I try and surround myself with good things and good people - and to be one myself.

I'm not sure if we ever met face to face but I think we may have. At the Sebring ALMS races 6-8 years ago perhaps? In any case, I sincerely wish you the best. Try and use this to come out the other side of this a better person. Life is a growth process. Growth is a good thing. Use this as an opportunity if you can.

Mark

Woof. I did do a Google search but in full name only. Including the name + address provides some interesting info that would certainly give pause.

Considering that info, I can only hope that the meager amount of money I gave is going to help him in a positive way…and not enable him.

+1.
Almost two years ago, I posted a thread about a trip my son and I took in the NSX after my wife's death. It turned out more emotional than I realized when I wrote it. Not only to me but to fellow Primers as well. Though I didn't mention any charitable donations, a few of you folks wanted to give to a charity of my choosing, so I posted my wife's favorite charity, website and address. The response was amazing from people I had never met. I've made an effort to thank those that gave personally. And I've felt obligated to pay it forward on the two occasions this year that fellow Primers were in need. I didn't do the usual due diligence that I do when giving to regular charities (ie GuideStar non-profit reports, Google etc). Because, when helping individuals directly, sometimes you have to go on the faith that the donation will somehow make a difference as a random act of kindness.

Over the years, I've found this forum is a very tight knit group of friends and strangers that have a passion for, not only the cars but, the way an "inanimate thing" can bring people together or create emotions that only we who own these cars will ever understand. That's what puts this forum on a different level. We act more like a family than some families and sometimes family members will let us down or prop us up in good times and bad times. I don't regret helping out Hugh because I have the faith and hope that anything I do will help him get the assistance that he needs to get his life back together and when it does it's worth the risk.

Last edited:
Hugh, you've been a huge part of this site and you have inspired so many of us to just go out and enjoy our NSXs. These posts are full of great advice. A very smart man once told me "think about your happiest memories, keep thinking about them and remembering them, soon you will realize that none of them had anything to do with money" and he was right, most of our best memories have nothing to do with money, it's the simple things in life that really make us happy.

i also recommend reading inspirational quotes every morning. Find the ones that inspire you the most and put them on your bathroom mirror or car or a place you can always look at them and read them for inspiration:

jlcoolman wrote "the world and prime would not be the same without you"
dquarasr2 wrote "stay positive Hugh, and above all, please retain that sense of humor and exercise it. Often."
Big_D wrote "The main thing is a warm dry place to sleep and food on the table...anything else is a bonus."

And there are more that you can start putting throughout your house, car, office, etc to keep you sane when things get tough.

my personal favorites are, followed by my interpretation in parenthesis

Eckhart Tolle "life is not as serious as the mind makes it out to be" (we stress out too much over trivial things)

Alice Walker "The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any." (You are only helpless when you allow yourself to believe you are helpless)

Christopher Columbus "you can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." (Sometimes we have to take a leap of faith and see where it takes us)

And my all time favorite from an idol. Bruce Lee "You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” (This one can be interpreted a million ways, but my interpretation is that when you allow yourself to make changes you can deal with any situation, don't be afraid to try new things and don't resist change)

Best of wishes to you Hugh, and mostly, stay positive and take it one day at a time, simplify your life as most as you can and you will start to enjoy life again.

wow!!! thanks for the heads up....glad I never sent money, this just didn't sit well with me from the beginning...

this thread needs to be deleted asap considering what comes up on the google search...

Last edited:
Hugh-

I hope that all is looking up for you. While I don't have the means to help you right now, my thoughts are with you. If you ever need anyone to talk to, please reach out to me (or SOMEONE) before you decide to make a drastic decision.

I too have had my bouts with depression, especially as of late. My mother committed suicide in November after a long bout with breast cancer, and I lost my father month later to prostate cancer. In the meantime, I've been suffering with a very debilitating on-the job spinal injury that has also ended my career as an F-16 pilot. Anyways, I don't want to make this about me.......my point is that I have had to search long and wide to find the silver lining in everything, and every time I have looked it has been there. Life is beautiful. Things will turn around, and if they don't do so soon then try to stay positive and look towards the future. The one constant in our lives is change. You have many adventures ahead of you. More adversity and dark times? Sure, we all will have those. But there will be some pretty kick ass times, too, and they are what makes the experience worth it.

I want to meet you at NSXPO one day. I'm not going to be at the one this year, so it looks like you've got to stick around a while longer. :)

Me too.....but way too many red flags out there have me wondering if this is just another scam????

Hugh does need help.

I have no personal knowledge about anything written about him on the interweb but all I do know is that the net is a potentially "dangerous" thing considering anyone can post anything about anyone else and it generally stays on the web in perpetuity irrespective of whether it is true. I remember in the long, long ago of the dial-up internet where I had AOL 1.0 and someone mentioned that "AOL" stood for "Any Old Lie".

Once again, I am not commenting upon whether anything on the web is true or not since I don't have any personal knowledge of any such claims. But I do know that Hugh could use help, medically and financially, is getting help medically and is working toward getting his life back in order to the best of his abilities.

As for anyone here offering him assistance, financial or otherwise, that is up to the individual members doing or not doing what they think they can or cannot offer.

- - - Updated - - -

And just by way of illustration as to how something isn't necessarily true just because it's on the internet, one the "reports" linked about Hugh purportedly was written by his brother Craig and was used to try to demonstrate that Hugh's family did not trust him.

That "report" was "written" by his brother on 12/8/07.

As indicated by that site, "This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/08/2007 01:54 PM and is a permanent record located here"

Craig took his own life on 10/30/07 - 5 weeks before the person misrepresenting himself as Craig posted that report.

Once again, I am not advocating for or against helping Hugh but how would any of you feel if that false "report" was filed about any of you by someone posting as your brother - 5 weeks after your brother took his own life - and then by the terms of the host site that lie becomes a "permanent record" where, as here, it gets cited as a "red flag" almost 7 years later.

Just my .02 before anyone goes on a witch hunt.

Last edited:
Hi,

well... i sent him a $$ ammount through paypal.... after this i can only say:

i would do it again... i mean... i sent some help, and the use Hugh will give to it it's up to him....

i did it with the best intention, and that was my main priority: to help someone.

i'm in peace with it, no stress at all.....

Nuno

Hugh does need help.

I have no personal knowledge about anything written about him on the interweb but all I do know is that the net is a potentially "dangerous" thing considering anyone can post anything about anyone else and it generally stays on the web in perpetuity irrespective of whether it is true. I remember in the long, long ago of the dial-up internet where I had AOL 1.0 and someone mentioned that "AOL" stood for "Any Old Lie".

Once again, I am not commenting upon whether anything on the web is true or not since I don't have any personal knowledge of any such claims. But I do know that Hugh could use help, medically and financially, is getting help medically and is working toward getting his life back in order to the best of his abilities.

As for anyone here offering him assistance, financial or otherwise, that is up to the individual members doing or not doing what they think they can or cannot offer.

- - - Updated - - -

And just by way of illustration as to how something isn't necessarily true just because it's on the internet, one the "reports" linked about Hugh purportedly was written by his brother Craig and was used to try to demonstrate that Hugh's family did not trust him.

That "report" was "written" by his brother on 12/8/07.

As indicated by that site, "This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/08/2007 01:54 PM and is a permanent record located here"

Craig took his own life on 10/30/07 - 5 weeks before the person misrepresenting himself as Craig posted that report.

Once again, I am not advocating for or against helping Hugh but how would any of you feel if that false "report" was filed about any of you by someone posting as your brother - 5 weeks after your brother took his own life - and then by the terms of the host site that lie becomes a "permanent record" where, as here, it gets cited as a "red flag" almost 7 years later.

Just my .02 before anyone goes on a witch hunt.

you are right, but the sad thing is is that they are out there and multiple complaints of con and deception don't sit well when someone is asking for donations....I hope he gets well and then maybe he can chime in on these bad reports and maybe clear the air....

Last edited:
Hi,

well... i sent him a $$ ammount through paypal.... after this i can only say:

i would do it again... i mean... i sent some help, and the use Hugh will give to it it's up to him....

i did it with the best intention, and that was my main priority: to help someone.

i'm in peace with it, no stress at all.....

Nuno

Ditto!!! May not be much but the right intention is there.

when you take on your troubles yourself you look to friends and family , asking the "world" at large for help is going to elicit strong responses especially from those who succeeded without asking various website members for financial help.It is what it is.I know Hugh is a real person I've met him chatted with him...is the money he will receive going to fix anything...most likely not..but...I hope the thoughts of the kindness of strangers will touch him once he is clear headed enough to understand.

you are right, but the sad thing is is that they are out there and multiple complaints of con and deception don't sit well when someone is asking for donations....I hope he gets well and then maybe he can chime in on these bad reports and maybe clear the air....

I agree that "multiple complaints" are something to be considered when doing any due diligence in any scenario. Without knowing any of the details, I was "troubled" when my reading of the multiple reports showed a similar writing style within fairly tight time period that caused me to wonder whether they were written by the same person posting what appear to be multiple complaints. I can't say one way or the other whether my reading is accurate but I wanted to at least play devil's advocate and point out that although I agree that such reports raise a concern, I can't say I am willing to accept the premise that they are, indeed, separate and distinct complaints. The false reports (there were two such "reports") by someone posing as Craig after he had already passed make me question the credibility of what is contained on that site. I don't know the back story but the only thing obvious to me is that someone fraudulently posted potentially defamatory information in the name of Hugh's brother and that false posting makes me question whether the underlying allegations have merit. I can't confirm whether there is any truth in the reports but can definitely state that the reports do contain fraudulent posts by someone falsely claiming to be Hugh's brother.

Last edited:
How many of you who have helped, or are now doubting Hugh's intentions have personally visited him? No one. That is mostly due to where many of live and your inability to get down here. I can't comment on any of those "ripoff" reports, but I can comment on his physical well being. In his current state of mind, Hugh needs help. He's been seeking medical attention and trying to help himself out financially. He is not looking to scam anyone out of any money. He has been living off of proceeds made by selling personal belongings. Last week he sold to a Primer a Crystal NSX sculpture. I had never seen one in person before and he had it all boxed up ready to ship out to the lucky person who bought it from him. Look up his user name on eBay, "Hugh Evan", and you'll see his stellar rating and all of his transactions for the past few years. I can assure you that his lifestyle is not what you may expect. He is not living in the Taj Mahal, nor is he spending the monies donated on any kind of contraband.

Let's not kick someone when they are down. Let's give Hugh the benefit of the doubt and let him explain why those reports have been published, whether true or not. For now, I will continue to give Hugh the support he needs. I have no reason to do otherwise as he has never misrepresented himself to me, nor has he ever cause any harm to me or my family.

Last edited:
I will start by apologizing for jumping to conclusions.... especially since you more senior/reputable guys are vouching for him.

Sorry, Hugh. Didn't mean anything by it. Still keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Well said Bob & Doc. Hugh we have your back. Keep your head up. These things could happen to any of us and I would hope I would have your courage to ask for help and leave it in God's hands.

Last edited:
Thanks Doc for chiming in and vouching for him...as one who has actual contact with him and knows him personally, its good to hear from you since this came up.

Keep us informed on the situation, hope he is back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back