• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Deferred Judification

I just got another speeding ticket during my deferred judification period. Anyone have any experince getting out of this situation from driving record? It was a 180 day period and I have until August 22 from getting another ticket before starting over. It's just not my day today. :frown:

Last edited:
I just got another speeding ticket during my deferred judification period. Anyone have any experince getting out of this situation from driving record? It was a 180 day period and I have until August 22 from getting another ticket before starting over. It's just not my day today. :frown:

Typically the process is automatic after this, they are fairly strict about it.

My suggestion is to schedule a 'meeting' with the DA there and be extremely nice to him/her and try to negotiate something. Several years back I got a 28mph over and 21 over back to back to the point there were both scheduled for the same court date. I was able to take DD on one and deferred on the other, which is not supposed to be doable for a multitude of reasons in that particular situation. Convince them it was an honest mistake and is not a reflection of your driving habits [if that's the case I suppose] and they are surprisingly helpful if you approach them right.

FYI it usually involves steeper fines and less points on your record, you should have seen that one coming.

I think most courts have deferred judification AKA probation before judgment. Basically you promise not to get a ticket in a certain period of time and if you do you will plead no contest to the first AND second charge. I have used the method to mitigate ticket and, knock on wood, I have been able to not get another ticket in the specified time frame.

When I was in my teens I got 2 tickets from the same officer on the same day almost 30 miles apart. He had a smirk on his face the second time he wrote me up.

I was 31 over. I hired a lawyer the first ticket, not sure a lawyer will help this time. Also, about this myth of cops letting you off if you carry a conceal handgun license, I guess it only works 50% of the time. It worked on my brother once and it didn't work for me this time. But Again, I'm at Sugar Land, TX. They are one of the stricter city.

Deferred Judification = Probation. It varies in different counties on probation days. Basically is that a deal is made with the courts not to get another violation within 150 days and they will let you off the hook. No dings on the record.

no biggie...

I just got another speeding ticket during my deferred judification period. Anyone have any experince getting out of this situation from driving record?
Been there, done that... :redface:

Ticket 1: speeding...
Outcome: pay court costs of approx. $100, Driver's Training ($25 + $10 copy of driver's record), no points on driver's record

1-2 weeks later. . .

Ticket 2: speeding...
Outcome: pay actual fine of ~$200, Driver's Training ($25 + $10 copy of driver's record), no points on driver's record

Also, no longer eligible for 'Deferred Adjudication' / Driver's Training for 1 year.

I was 31 over. I hired a lawyer the first ticket, not sure a lawyer will help this time. Also, about this myth of cops letting you off if you carry a conceal handgun license, I guess it only works 50% of the time. It worked on my brother once and it didn't work for me this time. But Again, I'm at Sugar Land, TX. They are one of the stricter city.

Deferred Judification = Probation. It varies in different counties on probation days. Basically is that a deal is made with the courts not to get another violation within 150 days and they will let you off the hook. No dings on the record.

Anything more than 29 over is not preferable. They are going to have very little sympathy for you since the cut-off is 25mph even if you weren't on Def. Jud. 30 over+ and you have almost 0% chance of getting out of the ticket in TX. Go talk to the DA but don't get your hopes up. I have never received a ticket while on probation, I know when to cut my losses.

The only tickets I've received lately are dumb ones, the last was going 35mph in a 15mph zone last year on a college campus at 3am on a wednesday night [stress relieving ride, couldn't sleep]. I told the DA I have zero issue paying the fine if she could convince me as to why it was a 15mph zone while on the way to work I pass through a school zone that's 20mph. I think I ended up paying $100 or something, nothing on my record, she thought it was a little "conservative" too.

Re: no biggie...

Been there, done that... :redface:

Ticket 1: speeding...
Outcome: pay court costs of approx. $100, Driver's Training ($25 + $10 copy of driver's record), no points on driver's record

1-2 weeks later. . .

Ticket 2: speeding...
Outcome: pay actual fine of ~$200, Driver's Training ($25 + $10 copy of driver's record), no points on driver's record

Also, no longer eligible for 'Deferred Adjudication' / Driver's Training for 1 year.

So you did two defensive driving course? How's that possible when you are allow only one a year? I'm confused

You think a lawyer may have something up his sleeves ex: Plead not guilty, resechedule until it passes the probation deadline and hope the cop won't turn up? :redface:

no problem'o...

So you did two defensive driving course? How's that possible when you are allow only one a year? I'm confused
A lil' known fact... you're permitted upto TWO Defensive Driving courses per year in Texas.

With the first offense, you only pay approx. $100 to cover the court costs/fees and your course's cost ($25-$30) & a copy of your driver's record ($10).

With your second offense, you pay the total fine for the citation/ticket and your course's cost ($25-$30) & a copy of your driver's record ($10).

You just have to goto the court clerk and they'll explain it all to you... unless you plan to contest the citation/ticket or ask the DA to lower the offending speed, thus lowering the fine.

I've gone through this whole ordeal twice before (of-course in different years!), each time it was the same protocol.

You think a lawyer may have something up his sleeves ex: Plead not guilty, resechedule until it passes the probation deadline and hope the cop won't turn up?
This won't work because it's the date of the violation that matters, not when the case is presented before the court. The computer will highlight such whenever the citation/ticket is entered into the system.

My advice: pay the court-issued fine & take the Driver's Education course = no points on record... and move on! :cool:

Did you get the tickets in the same, or different counties?

I had this happen in TX- got one in Plano and took DA, and then another in Denton, and got DA as well. Both tickets were within 6 months of each other.

My insurance was none the wiser.

Skip- I am not certain because I never actually read the court docs- just paid my fine and moved on-the word may in fact be "adjudication"

P

Hey, Jesse I believe? We've never met, but I think my bro did/does work with you. Also, I think you live down the street from my best friend.

Anyways, I have a really good lawyer here in Houston. He's reasonable and pretty well connected.

A few years back, I had gotten a ticket for 110 in a 30mph zone...it was a back road of a neighborhood with no one around at the time, so I thought. I had no insurance, no motorcycle license, and expired tags. My lawyer forgot to show to court, so I called him, he asked me to give my cell phone to the judge. I did, the judge laughed, hung up, and told me to go home. :smile:

PM me if you'd like his number.

Did you get the tickets in the same, or different counties?

I had this happen in TX- got one in Plano and took DA, and then another in Denton, and got DA as well. Both tickets were within 6 months of each other.

My insurance was none the wiser.

Skip- I am not certain because I never actually read the court docs- just paid my fine and moved on-the word may in fact be "adjudication"

P

Same county same city and almost the same street!:eek:

God I hope so; I have never heard the other word.

+1, me too, cause i kept hearing "hey jude" playing in my brain. finally got that switched off and when the name "jude law" replaced it.

with these posts, i no longer hear the little voices :)

"when the name "jude law" replaced it."

Quit fantasizing about Jude Law you queen! LOL

Back