• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

deleting abs on a street car??

OK I am putting this car back together but I need the small abs reservoir.
Since there is no way of buying one without spending 600.00 to get it I was advised to just delete the abs system altogether.

Since I'm new to the nsx is that a wise thing to do? I have been told that a lot of you have deleted these systems with no issues. Spending that much to get a 2.00 part is crazy but is deleting the abs just as bad?

Last edited:
I asked the same question myself a few years ago and came to the conclusion abs is only needed when you really need it but ultimately I didn't think mine was working anyways so I was planning on taking it out. I bought a Dali racing abs delete kit but have yet to install it. I'm planning on the s2000 abs upgrade so I actually am putting the Dali abs delete up for sale shortly.

Here's my previous thread though for reading.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/175587-ABS-or-No-ABS

You might pm member Dirk. Now he is in Germany but I've bought stuff from him and he's very reliable/ships fast and has a ton of used NSX parts. I'm in the same boat. I've considered deleting and have "Liftnots" {pole2flag} nice delete kit setting on my shelf but consider resale value of the car should I ever decide to sell.

Last edited:
you can't sell the car without functioning abs..my opinion....the newer abs for the car is good,it might save you from a disaster.....I vote for it.

i'd never go without ABS on the street. relatively cheap insurance for those "OH SHIT" moments....

OK I am putting this car back together but I need the small abs reservoir.
Since there is no way of buying one without spending 600.00 to get it I was advised to just delete the abs system altogether.

Since I'm new to the nsx is that a wise thing to do? I have been told that a lot of you have deleted these systems with no issues. Spending that much to get a 2.00 part is crazy but is deleting the abs just as bad?
I would try giving sos and driving ambition a call. I have sourced used parts from both on them in the past which were not available through Honda. Being that they special in racing and abs conversions, I bet they have one lying around.

I would try giving sos and driving ambition a call. I have sourced used parts from both on them in the past which were not available through Honda. Being that they special in racing and abs conversions, I bet they have one lying around.

Thanks Jinks. I'll do that tomorrow!

I went through this process about 6 months ago. I bought a 91 with the ABS and SRS systems not working. I put my extra money into the ABS system. It is a street car and I felt that ABS is pretty important when you need it. I doubt I will ever do anything with the SRS though.

docjohn and vivanshah mentioned above that having ABS might save you from a wreck, i got mine updated to the newer year 2000+ one from SOS and it DID save me. i pulled out in front of someone that i hadn't seen, he slammed on his brakes,honked and steered away, i then saw him and slammed on my brakes and steered away. we stopped a few feet from each other. that little bit of extra steering away from the wreck probably prevented an expensive wreck that would have been my fault.i'm very careful, but we all can make a mistake.
when i was deciding whether to delete ABS or upgrade, i ran across the statement in Kaz's blog:

"it is insurance to have the better chance of stopping the NSX under panic situation before hitting something. The repair would easily exceed the cost for upgrading the ABS to the latest spec. "

he was an engineer on the NSX design team. i had thought about deleting it because i never used it except to exercise it, but then i needed it. just food for thought.

as above mentioned, it's all fine until that one day when you need it.

what's the difference of stopping just a few feet shorter? perhaps the rear end of a dump truck?

You gotta keep in mind the resell value of the car. Not everyone will purchase a car without it and theres the liability issues as well.

Previously I would have said "delete it". But last weekend I did a three-day trip with the ABS disabled due to maintenance needs. An hour into the trip we hit rain and a car in front of me stopped really short. I was leaving extra room because the ABS was out, but I still locked the brakes and skidded. Didn't hit anything but it certainly could have ended badly. So like they say, you don't need it until you need it. I'll be repairing and keeping mine.

Check with Ben at Daisy Auto (they're on Prime) - I'll bet he has the part you need.

Last edited:
I have had a malfunctioning ABS unit since I bought my car almost seven years ago. I made the decision to delete the ABS instead of going through the "update" for several reasons:

- Everything i owned prior to the NSX didn't have ABS and I learned how to "panic stop" without it and increase my margin of safety on the street.
- I enjoy the pedal feel and threshold braking that non ABS systems allow. I can go deeper into the corner and brake harder with greater confidence.
- The cost to benefit of upgrading to an NA2 ABS just isn't there for me.
- My planned BBK requires a proportioning valve...which means I can't have ABS even if I wanted it.

Driving on the street without ABS is fine if you know how to handle a panic stop situation. Does having ABS make things easier? probably.

Pump the brakes and keep your eyes on the road :wink:

Edit: How many of us actually plan on selling our cars? Anyone who would buy my car (should the worst happen and I decide to sell it) would probably understand why I did what I did to the car.

Last edited:
In general, I think ABS is a great safety device that should not be bypassed unless you are 110% sure you know what you are doing (even the old system). I hope you can find the part you need to get it together!

My $0.02.

Dave

ABS could be very useful but I think being alert and leaving plenty of space on the road is more useful. I did lock up my brakes a few times without ABS and it ate into my tires leaving a flat spot. As I have BBK I feel more comfortable having it off and controlling it myself. Will it be more difficult to stop in panic situations? Yes... but I will also learn to brake properly and not rely on a system to help me.

I did not know there was an S2000 upgrade though! I guess it is a cheaper option than the NA2 ABS?

I have liftnots abs delete installed on my 91 and its great.I too had the typicall abs issues and despite rebuilding with warrenw's kit i couldnt get the system to be quiet so i opted for the delete. With the delete in and the spare tyre and bracket removed you could have a party under the bonnet/ hood.
pedal feel is better with the abs removed and it dosent embarrass you when you are sitting at the lights.
each unto their own on this,like many this was my first vehicle with abs and whilst the nsx is a sure step up in performance from all but my old lemans 850, you just have to be aware that you do not have the protection offered by the system.
in a perfect world i would have liked to have gone with the upgade but the cost is prohibitave.
my 2 cents.

I have liftnots abs delete installed on my 91 and its great.I too had the typicall abs issues and despite rebuilding with warrenw's kit i couldnt get the system to be quiet so i opted for the delete. With the delete in and the spare tyre and bracket removed you could have a party under the bonnet/ hood.
pedal feel is better with the abs removed and it dosent embarrass you when you are sitting at the lights.
each unto their own on this,like many this was my first vehicle with abs and whilst the nsx is a sure step up in performance from all but my old lemans 850, you just have to be aware that you do not have the protection offered by the system.
in a perfect world i would have liked to have gone with the upgade but the cost is prohibitave.
my 2 cents.
I love having my abs pump disconnected. I do not miss the chatter,chatter, chatter... I do not drive it in the rain or on gravel. Who needs it!
I will refrain from answering who needs it....:biggrin:

I have had a malfunctioning ABS unit since I bought my car almost seven years ago. I made the decision to delete the ABS instead of going through the "update" for several reasons:

- Everything i owned prior to the NSX didn't have ABS and I learned how to "panic stop" without it and increase my margin of safety on the street.
- I enjoy the pedal feel and threshold braking that non ABS systems allow. I can go deeper into the corner and brake harder with greater confidence.
- The cost to benefit of upgrading to an NA2 ABS just isn't there for me.
- My planned BBK requires a proportioning valve...which means I can't have ABS even if I wanted it.

Driving on the street without ABS is fine if you know how to handle a panic stop situation. Does having ABS make things easier? probably.

Pump the brakes and keep your eyes on the road 😉

Edit: How many of us actually plan on selling our cars? Anyone who would buy my car (should the worst happen and I decide to sell it) would probably understand why I did what I did to the car.
I agree on what you said about knowing how much stopping power your brakes can produce but also have a good feel on the balance of your car when braking.

I also grew up racing and learned on non-ABS cars. I have a good sense of threshold. However, ABS- especially the modern 2000+ ABS- can still be useful. Panic stops in wet weather come to mind. And at the track, you can brake later and deeper into corners using the ABS.

How? Can you please send me steps or procedure to do this task? Thank you
On the back of the whole ALB assembly there will be a single 2 pin connector on the pressure switch, unplug it and jump the wires in the connector on the car side and that will ground the signal going to the ecu
IMG_0787.jpeg

Back