• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Detailing with Zymol and NSX Glaze

Hello All,

Just wanted to post and comment on what a fantastic job Zymol Products did on the recent detail I completed on my NSX. I've used Zymol products since the late 1980's and purchased the NSX Glaze for my recently acquired NSX.

The process I used was the following:

Good Wash with ‘Clear’

Clayed the Car with ‘Lehm-Klay II Lube & Cleaner’

Cleaned the Paint with ‘H-D Cleanse’

Waxed the Car with ‘NSX Glaze’

Misted the Car with Water

Waxed the Car again with ‘NSX Glaze’

Misted the Car again with Water

Misted and Wiped the Car with ‘Field Glaze’

The smoothness, clarity and deepness of the shine on the car are nothing short of spectacular.

I cannot begin to tell you how much fun, as a former detail shop owner, these products were to work with. We all in the NSX Community are very fortunate to have a company like Zymol supporting us via sponsorships, great products and especially a great product designed specifically for us NSX Owners.

Hugh said:
I have a bridge I'd lke to offer for sale to you. It was "specifically" designed just for NSXs to drive over.
Then I guess you have a bridge for sale, because I know for a fact that Zymol had access to Honda's design engineers to discuss the NSX paint composition, and used the information they gained to formulate their NSX wax.

nsxtasy said:
I know for a fact that Zymol had access to Honda's design engineers to discuss the NSX paint composition, and used the information they gained to formulate their NSX wax.

I happen to have a tape recording of that conversation, here is the transcript:

Zymol guy: Hello, is this Tochigi? Can I please speak to the person in charge of paint?

Honda: One moment please........

Honda paint manager: How may I help you?

Zymol guy: Good afternoon, we're developing a special wax just for the NSX and were wondering if you would kindly share your trade secrets with us regarding its formulation?

Honda paint manager: Well to be perfectly honest with you, there is nothing special about the paint we use on the NSX. It is the same "clear over base" or COB paint we purchase from PPG and DuPont for all the Honda vehicles. However on the NSX we do apply four baked on coats before the final clear coat is applied.

Zymol guy: I see, so the rumors that the NSX paint is somehow "different" from other automotive finishes are false?

Honda paint manager: Yes they are. It took us 2 years to build a factory just for the NSX, hand pick 200 workers to build the cars, pay Ayrton Senna a small fortune just to drive one around the test track a few times. Why on Earth would we waste time and money trying to make paint? We decide what colors we want and the OEM suppliers do the rest.

Zymol guy: Well thank you very much for your time.

Now lets get back to reality. The following is quoted from http://www.premiumautocare.com/how-to-wax-your-car.html

SPECIAL PAINT HYPE
Paints from different manufacturers do not favor one wax coating over another. The notion that a wax is produced specifically for a make and model of car, such as an Acura NSX or a BMW Z3, is ridiculous. Car owners should beware of any company or person marketing such products. There is no factual basis for a special wax blend based on the car brand or model.

What Do Clearcoat Finishes Really Need?
If the purpose of the clearcoat is to add depth and gloss to the final paint finish, wouldn’t it be counterproductive to apply anything that does not buff out to be as clear as the clearcoat itself? Carnauba wax in its natural form is not clear. It creates a dull, milky white film on the leaves of the palm tree from which it is harvested. Have you experienced the white stain residue most Carnauba waxes leave in cracks and crevices after waxing? It follows that Carnauba wax will distort the perfectly clear appearance of a new or well-maintained clearcoat finish.

What the modern clearcoat finish requires is proper cleaning, light polishing to remove fine cobweb scratches and swirl marks, and clear, durable protection. Carnauba wax cannot meet this demand.

Considering that the Zymol NSX "Glaze" is about 50% carnauba, it's probably some of the worst crap you could wax your car with.

Look, I realize that you're the treasurer for the NSXCA and Zymol does take out full page ads in your magazine so you have to be politically correct however I'm entitled to my opinion and my opinion is that anyone that pays $150 for a jar of car wax should have his head examined.

Hugh said:
....however I'm entitled to my opinion and my opinion is that anyone that pays $150 for a jar of car wax should have his head examined.

<!--StartFragment -->
biggthum.gif
^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^<!--StartFragment -->
biggthum.gif

Hugh, Hugh, Hugh. There you go again. I've never seen so much drivel, so much hatred, so much opinionated nonsense about products you've never tried and know nothing about, as you have posted here on NSXprime, in many different topics - about radar detectors you hate but you've never tried, waxes you hate but you've never tried, brake setups you hate but you've never tried, etc.

And, when you haven't shown enough of your prejudice, you put the icing on the cake by throwing in an ad hominem argument about my role as an officer in a non-profit organization. At least I work hard to help put on fun activities for our community. All you spend your time on is making a fool of yourself.

Simple fact: I use Zymol products because I get great results with them. I started using them many years before the NSX Club of America was even formed. And I continue to use them because I continue to get great results with them. Regardless of cost. In fact, I've been given a lot of different detailing products, of various brands (Zymol's NSX wax was given away at past NSXPOs), as well as buying others in stores; I've tossed the ones whose results I didn't like, and I keep using the ones that give great results, because I care about making my car look its best. Simple as that.

Hugh, NSXPO is being held in your backyard this year. Why don't you spend your time working on behalf of making NSXPO 2006 a success and a fun event for a couple hundred NSX owners, instead of attacking products and people on NSXprime? You might even find that you enjoy it.

Last edited:
Hello Again,

I guess I was wrong in thinking that all of us fellow NSX Owners were above the lack of class of other forums on the Internet.

I do agree that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, however, there is a way of coming across with class and respect. Saying that ‘someone should have their head examined for buying a container of wax’ is not the way I would expect someone who owns an NSX and is soon to own a Ford GT to articulate their opinion. I guess the saying ‘money can’t buy you class’ really applies here!

You may spend money in a way I think you should have your ‘head examined’ (i.e. $100,000+ on a Ford) however I wish you good luck with your car as it was obviously a decision you made for yourself to make you happy, something to feed you ego with and something you were proud enough to advertise on your signature.

Do us all a favor and let people spend money the way they want, enjoy what they do and if you don’t agree have class in the way you respond to posts or don’t post at all. It’s people like you that make NSX Prime a bad experience!

One thing is most definitely for sure. Don’t take shots at people that work hard in making your experience on NSX Prime or NSXCA a great one. These people work on their own time (and sometimes with their own money) to keep sites like this up to date and make gatherings for the rest of us fun and enjoyable.

If you don’t like it sell your NSX and have fun with your Ford!

Thank You

Back