• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DF Type R Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to update you guys with the NSX-R seat progress. We made a few seats and making sure everything is ready to go before releasing them. After studying the original seats I learned part of the comfort came from the ability to have a certain amount of flex in certain areas. Instead of using a fiber core material we decided to make the seats full carbon so it is stronger then the original R seats. The original R seats is a layer of Carbon Kevlar backed onto a core and then sandwiched with another carbon kevlar. We decided to use one layer of carbon kevlar and all carbon for higher strength. There is over 16 layers of 3k carbon plus one carbon kevlar layer. We matched the stiffness closely and replicated where the flex areas are at, we matched the weave style. The result is 9.5 lbs with the coverings. These seats feel pretty comfortable just like the stock seats and is super strong and light. All you do is plug and play.

The current status is we will have our coverings done in 3 weeks. Also our FIA approval in 6 months.

History and Notes:
I can say that this is one of the most time consuming projects I have taken on. This was not a simple splash of the seats as it will not be possible from the original R. The seats are reinforced on the edges preventing us to obtain the exact shape. We had to make 4 molds and transfers to obtain the final shape which was a 2 month process. We spotted a little de-lamination on the original R seats because the core material deteriorated a little. This was another reason why we chose to go pure carbon as it is stronger then Kevlar and lighter. So to sum it up the materials and process we used are high tech and this is not for everyone. Only if you desire for something that is critically high performance this is for you. I will not be offering these seats in FRP because of the FIA approval, I will not change our construction methods for safety reasons.

[RAILS]
Power Rails included and all wiring included. Wiring Harness pre-installed. The switch will look the same as OEM as well.

[OPTIONS]
Heated Seats Option

[COVERS]
1.) NA1R - Red Alcantra
2.) NA2R - Black Fabric / Middle Black Perforated Leather or Alcantra
3.) Type S - Black Leather / Middle Orange Perforated Leather or Alcantra

[FOAM]
We have matched the foam density and type on the seat 100%. The feel is identical. We can even increase the foam density on the side bolsters to make it a tighter feel on the corners.

[HARDWARE INCLUDED]
New NSX Belt Buckles (Driver & Passenger)
Recaro Seat Belt Trims

[Spec]
Weight: 9.5 lbs
Full Weight with Rails: 24.3 lbs
Construction: 51,000 filament carbon with one ply of carbon kevlar.
Resin: Tooling Epoxy
Method: High Pressure Vac Heat Press 20 tons
FIA: Pending (will pass with flying colors)
CARBON: Hexcel (European Batch)
CARBON/KELVAR: Aramid (JAPAN Torray)
RESIN: Epoxy (Propreitary USA)
Production: DF (USA)
Approval: FIA (Pending)
Price: $2,500 seat (special pricing will be announced for the first 10 pairs)

[PICTURES]
This first set belongs to a customer that did their own custom wrapping. They wanted to go with the Ferrari schema, smooth grain red leather with white stitching. The DF wraps are being contracted by a large manufacturer using laser cutters for precise fitment and consistency and they do OE work for car manufacturers. I held up a seat with one hand fully extending my arm, while taking a photo at the same time.

rseat1a.jpg

rseat1b.jpg

rseat1c.jpg

If you want to get on the special release pricing as always you can sign up by emailing [email protected]. No deposits required for now.

All I have to say is wow. I've seen the pictured set in person and it's VERY well made. You guys have gone above and beyond on this one in particular. Congrats.

Jeff

:eek: This mod brings a tear to my eye! I dont know whether to be happy or mad. Are they ready to purchase in 3 weeks or 6 months?

Red leather seats are so dam sexy! $5K pair is big pimping.

Holy Cheezes of Nazareth...

(pls' pardon my inappropriate response below, apologies in-advance... :D)

Quick questions...

- in general, what's the difference between the genuine OEM '93+ NSX-R & '02+ NSX-R seats, other than the covering(s) obviously? Is there a difference in shape, materials, fit, etc'? (I'm referring to Honda's actual OE NSX-R seats for the two respective gen's, not the DF Type-R seats)

- the quoted price of ~$2.5k/seat (less for "special release pricing") includes: (1) powered seat-rail/bracket + (1) seat-covering + (1) DF Type-R seat?

- are there options for customization of the seat-coverings (ie. choice of color, perforated-inserts, contrast-color double stitching, no "Recaro" embroidery/script, etc')?

Last edited:
NA1 and NA2 type R seats uses the same shell.

NA1 fabric is from Recaro

NA2 R fabric is not Recaro, but Honda fabric. (Mesh pattern with perforated alcantara).

As for the pricing of the seat, I believe it is for single. Considering the OEM type R electric seat rails are going for $1200 or more....

OEM Type R seat is MSRP at 1,200,000.00 yen a pair, without seat rails.

Just to let you guys know, the FIA certification will cost DF over $10k.

Last edited:
I think you can add me to the list. Looks pretty good.

I'd like to see some pics of the NA2 seats, especially the Type S... but the Type R as well.

Can I visit the shop first and sit on one of those seats to see if my south pacific butt fits first? :biggrin:

Can you match the na2 NSX-R red perforated alcantara and mesh? I have some real perforated black alcantara & black mesh black fabric that is real close to what's on the real NSX-R but never found red. Please let me know as I will be putting off my seat refinishing project for these if it's real alcantara and not ultra suede.

Last edited:
OMG .. wow ... another thing to drool and dream about it ... dammit ... looks fantastic, red leather is hot!
Oscar

Any chance to get these in different colors even at additional cost? I have an LBBP and would love to get these in the OEM blue leather:biggrin:

Yes I'm sure I can get it in whatever pattern you choose. For those of you wanting special leather colors, do you prefer smooth grain which is like the earlier 1991-1994 or the rougher grain for the 1995+ seats? The smooth grain looks nice, but due to the usage of the seats it will wear so that is why OEMs especially the Germans use rough grain leather.

I can get pricing on custom patterns and colors, I don't think it can be much more, just the difference from the fabric pricing if that pattern/color is not stocked.

Personally, I don't really mind the rough leather, so if that would reduce the wear on the seats, that is fine with me. I like the look of black leather with red leather inserts, so if that design is available, I'm in for a pair.

BTW, do these seats provide any additional headroom?

Yes I'm sure I can get it in whatever pattern you choose. For those of you wanting special leather colors, do you prefer smooth grain which is like the earlier 1991-1994 or the rougher grain for the 1995+ seats? The smooth grain looks nice, but due to the usage of the seats it will wear so that is why OEMs especially the Germans use rough grain leather.

I can get pricing on custom patterns and colors, I don't think it can be much more, just the difference from the fabric pricing if that pattern/color is not stocked.

Little confused as the seats in my car have about 3 different surfaces. Rough leather on the outer parts smooth on the inner and ventilated in the center:confused:

Would you need for those of us that want matching to send a small piece?

sorry to ask, but that, $2.5K is per seat?
Oscar

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8A4CoKiAsc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8A4CoKiAsc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hi Everybody,

Just a reminder, if you would like to be included in the special pricing list, please send me an e-mail to [email protected] and I will gladly add your name to the list. Have a good weekend everyone :biggrin:

Lily

Do these gain you substantial headroom? (Thinner & lower than stock where your butt hits the seat?) How much of a gain if so? Just remove entire stock seat (w/ rails) & swap this in?

Last edited:
Hi,

Is the price of $2,500 for both seats?

Can we see some more pics of the seats and the power rails with switch etc

What is the adjustment of seat on the power rails? ie forward and back or forward and back with base tilt?

Do the seats sit at the same height as OEM or the OEM NSX-R when on the rails and fitted in the car.

Can we see some pics of the NA1 NA2 AND Type-S trims please.

P.S The seats look great and I would be interested pending more pics etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back