• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dishwasher Kaput.. Anyone happy with thiers? Looking for recommendations :)

Love my Bosch. 47db is fantastic and the dishes are clean with no fuss.

" In June 2010, after receiving about a dozen reports of dishwashers catching fire, Maytag Corp. initiated a recall of about 1.7 million units with plastic tubs and a heated dry cycle. Included in the recall are certain Maytag, Amana, Jenn-Air, Admiral, Magic Chef, Performa and Crosley dishwashers, all of which are manufactured by Maytag. More information -- and a list of affected serial numbers -- can be found on the Maytag website. http://repair.maytag.com."

-Consumer Reports Sept 2010

Funny you posted this. My 2nd dishwasher in less than 8 years just took a dump on me. It's a Maytag. The first was a Whirlpool that the builder put in. I logged onto their site for some troubleshooting info and discovered it is covered under this recall.

Now the question is, do I get this one fixed for free, buy another Maytag and take the $250 credit that they are offering or jump ship to another brand?

GE did a similar recall for some 170,000 units only a week or two ago.

And I experienced the same with my LG (their first model introduced 3 years ago - the motor wire inside the foor overheated and broke into two pices, one embedding in the rubbery insulation material, with potential fire hazard if the two ends touched.) While I have extended warranty and it was 3 weeks before the tail end of expiration - the repair was a laughable splicing the wires together and a Mickey Mouse fix by using a cardboard from my garage to insulate the wires from the heat on the inside (facing the dishwasher cabin) wall of the door :eek:

After a few more phone calls and complaints that this was surely not a manufacturer recommended fix - or there must be a TBS on this, the extended warranty (offered by GE) bailed out saying as long as the motor is "now" working there was nothing that they could do! LG finally agreed to jump in with a "good will" to replace the door or whatever they will do next Monday to fix it. I think they really got wise in realizing the potential of one fire hazard and the ensuing legal damages since they were notified of the failure.

I have another post from 3 years ago about this LG washer; it leaked the first day due to really dumb engineering design! Instead of the condensation tube from the door pouring into the down spout funnel, it was actually capping the funnel with some flimsy pad material as sealant! the repair guy had to caulk it to make sure it didn't leak. Sometimes one has to wonder who designed these and what testing was done ........

Update:
I did pull the trigger on the KitchenAid KUDE60FVSS that Malibu Rapper turned me onto earlier in the thread around Thanksgiving. $589 at Sears.com and it has proven a nice- no, great- unit.
It works better drying using JetDry which I had never had to use before but apparently helps these units to dry without spots better. It's super quiet and with the controls on the door top it looks very sleek and clean.
Now the price has gone back up to 1K but watch for them to go back down on promos since we know they can get that low and grab one next time 'round.

Back