• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Disputing a CC charge, CC company ignoring own evidence

I noticed a charge of $631.29 on my CC bill a couple months ago for Sears.com, and called the CC company to dispute the charge right away. A month later, they sent me a letter saying that basically they've decided it's my problem, but in the same envelope was the sales receipt, order summary, and UPS tracking info, all which had a different address, phone #, and e-mail from mine! It was shipped to Kansas, I live in Seattle.

I called right away and told them, and asked them if they even look at this stuff before they send it off and the response was something like, "well... sometimes...". So I re-opened the dispute during the same phone call and faxed them the forms they sent me as directed. That was about a month ago and I still haven't gotten any word, but the charge is still on my account.

If they still don't take the charge off (which is what I'm expecting for some reason), what are my options, if any? I was thinking about calling them again, asking to speak to a manager, and telling them that I will never, ever have another card from them again if it's going to cost me $6xx.xx every so often. It's ridiculous that their "investigation" as they call it came up with all the guy's contact info (whether real or not, does it really matter though?), none of which match mine in any form, but they still insist that I made the purchase. I haven't even bought anything from Sears.com so it's not like my info was in their system.

From what I have heard from friends, the dispute service is usually pretty painfree and many CC companies will remove the amount in dispute from your bill until it is resolved (it will still be on the bill, but not calculated into your payment).

That is wierd that they send you the order details which clearly shows conflicting information, yet the won't proceed with the dispute. I would call back and speak a manager.

Unless they have something in writing from you that states you wanted the items shipped to a different address than your mailing address they need to worry about it. DO NOT deal with their BS. Ask them why a shipment to an unauthorized address is your problem. This falls in the hands of Sears now. If they can't produce something that shows that you requested the items be shipped to another address than you home address, sears is held for the loss. Not you, or not your CC company.

They did withhold the amount from my payment due, but it is still on my statement as part of the balance. I went through this process once before with a different company when a debit card that was stolen (whole wallet was stolen) and it was indeed painless.

So is this Sears' problem or the CC company's? IMO they both have something to do with it, which only makes me more pissed because I'm the one having to deal with it.

Great news... I just checked my statement online and they took the charge off. I didn't have to call them, I guess the evidence they sent me that I sent right back to them was finally enough. My "recent activity" is actually negative! Thanks for your help!

sounds like you should be canceling that card as well and getting one with a new number issued or you may have this happen again. clearly someone out there has your cc number and isn't afraid to use it.

Back