• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY changing fuel pump

I did mine too, in my garage; on my back. Getting it out sucked, getting it back in and all the hoses fed through the holes sucked real bad. Especially by yourself.

<jaw drops> Is this thread implying that we have a Walbro-alternative for fuel pumps that will work with a Comptech supercharger? I have not liked the Walboro and would love to replace it! :eek:

Yes, that's exactly what this thread is implying. :smile:

Everyone should read this excellent comparison of the popular fuel pumps:
http://realstreetperformance.com/store/pages/fuel-pump-comparison-test-5.html

Personally, I WOULD NOT run the Denso. It's current draw is almost twice as much as the Walbro :eek:

If doing an in-tank setup, the Walbro looks fine for most of us... why is this getting negative feedback?

I haven't replaced my old OEM pump yet, but my tank is ready to be dropped right now. I have the SOS Walbro HP pump in hand, but it sounds like some of you aren't fond of it. Should I go with the Aeromotive, or do an external pump like the Bosch 044?

I will be completely redoing the fuel system anyways with new supplies (a tee going to each rail), return, FPR, and inline aftermarket filters. An in-tank pump would be nice to keep it cooled and the noise down... Just don't know whether to go with the Walbro or the Aeromotive. Oh yeah, the Aeromotive is only $140 shipped, so cost isn't an issue and this is a quality brand.

TIA,

Dave

Last edited:

Personally, I WOULD NOT run the Denso. It's current draw is almost twice as much as the Walbro :eek:

If doing an in-tank setup, the Walbro looks fine for most of us... why is this getting negative feedback?

I haven't replaced my old OEM pump yet, but my tank is ready to be dropped right now. I have the SOS Walbro HP pump in hand, but it sounds like some of you aren't fond of it. Should I go with the Aeromotive, or do an external pump like the Bosch 044?

I will be completely redoing the fuel system anyways with new supplies (a tee going to each rail), return, FPR, and inline aftermarket filters. An in-tank pump would be nice to keep it cooled and the noise down... Just don't know whether to go with the Walbro or the Aeromotive. Oh yeah, the Aeromotive is only $140 shipped, so cost isn't an issue and this is a quality brand.

TIA,

Dave

If I have understood your power goal, it will be around 450 whp. The walbro is just fine for that power level. SOS claims the walbro supports up to 700 hp on pump gas. I'm currently running the Walbro and it works fine so far, not excessively noisy, can't hear it over my exhaust and neither should you with yours =)

I would go with the aeromotive if I ran E85 or was in the vicinity of 650-700 hp or more.

I just changed over to a Walbro 255. It is a little louder at startup. I ordered the part from SOS. My Acura tec did the install. $240.00 out the door for labor. NOT worth DIY in my mind!

If I have understood your power goal, it will be around 450 whp. The walbro is just fine for that power level. SOS claims the walbro supports up to 700 hp on pump gas. I'm currently running the Walbro and it works fine so far, not excessively noisy, can't hear it over my exhaust and neither should you with yours =)

I would go with the aeromotive if I ran E85 or was in the vicinity of 650-700 hp or more.

Thanks, that's what I thought and why I originally got it. Now it seems like some others who have recently installed theirs have reservations and I was just trying to understand it a little more.

Dave

The reservations i'm having is not it's inability to not support the hp. It's rather their inconsistency and perceived lack of reliability. After folks here posted about having issues with theirs I expanded my search online and found enough issues (though it's all probably within the failure tolerances of design? There's a ton of walbros out there and proportionately many will break). Couple that with how much of a PITA it was to uninstall/reinstall the fuel tank w/o a lift then to me.. that was worth the extra $100 in cost for the Denso. $100 is cheap insurance to not have to go thru that install again. I'm not worried about my 255 going out since I'm a bit OCD about monitoring my gauges but if it does i'll be cursing up a storm just thinking about the install again...will likely just take it to Ramon at that point. A fuel pump in an NSX is something I only want to do once in my life.

Also, Mark Johnson refuses to sell the Walbro and recommended the Denso which he doesn't sell either. That was also a slight poke to my side :smile:

If you were to run e85 just do an inline with the walbro. That should support the fuel consumption.

***********************************************************************************quote from MacAttack

Does the Aeromotive have the same concerns as the Denso regarding current draw?....I don't know much about these, but there seems to be no drawbacks to the Aeromotive - unless I've missed it?

Last edited:
From that comparison, the Denso draws anywhere from 70-85% more current than the Walbro at our fuel pressures.

The Aeromotive drew about 43-57% more than the Walbro over the same range.

I guess you could say the Denso should be the most reliable of the four, but I cannot find any problems with Aeromotive on the web, and it is clearly the best all-around performer.

Think I'll put my SOS Walbro kit up for sale ($125 shipped - BNIB :biggrin:) and go with the Aeromotive. From the Aero website, it was just released one year ago, and the NSX takes part number 11141 (offset inlet). $150 shipped....
11142-kit.jpg

Hi,

I'm saerching for a replacement for my OEM fuel pump.

Slowly i'm bringing everything in the car into new condition. In the fuel circuit,
i'm looking into:

- a new Fuel pump (was thinking wallbro but your research got me wanting this aeromotive)
- new injectors (I have a spare OEM set brand new, but will sell for the Prospeed RDX kit)
- new seals, and little stuff on top of fuel tank.
- new filter and resistor.
- new intake manifold hoses and nuts & washers

about this Aeromotive pump, where did you found that price and would they sell for overseas?

Thanks,
Nuno

From that comparison, the Denso draws anywhere from 70-85% more current than the Walbro at our fuel pressures.

The Aeromotive drew about 43-57% more than the Walbro over the same range.

I guess you could say the Denso should be the most reliable of the four, but I cannot find any problems with Aeromotive on the web, and it is clearly the best all-around performer.

Think I'll put my SOS Walbro kit up for sale ($125 shipped - BNIB :biggrin:) and go with the Aeromotive. From the Aero website, it was just released one year ago, and the NSX takes part number 11141 (offset inlet). $150 shipped....
11142-kit.jpg

H Nuno,

I just go to google.com, type in the part I want to price, and click on "Shopping" on the left column. Then sort by price.

The $145 shipped in the US was from here:
http://autoplicity.com/products/2513870-.aspx?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=CSE&utm_content=2513870NOFITMENT&utm_campaign=GSNOFITMENT

If no one will ship to you, just paypal me the money so I can buy and send to you if you want :smile:

It looks like a rewire with dedicated power via a relay is a good thing to do for these higher current pumps. This is a nice setup:
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/stm_fuel_pump_rewire_kit.htm
The street tuned people also sell the Aeromotive pump (but for $160), are based out of New York, and will ship internationally.

Dave

Hi All; I'm planning a pretty long trip this fall to NSXPO and beyond, so is the fuel pump on a twenty year old car something to be concerned about? I'll be driving quite a bit on back roads in isolated areas of CO. AZ. UT. & SD.
I would like to upgrade to a CT supercharger sometime in the future, but I'm not sure of that yet. Thanks Howard

Hi,

I'm saerching for a replacement for my OEM fuel pump.

Slowly i'm bringing everything in the car into new condition. In the fuel circuit,
i'm looking into:

- a new Fuel pump (was thinking wallbro but your research got me wanting this aeromotive)
- new injectors (I have a spare OEM set brand new, but will sell for the Prospeed RDX kit)
- new seals, and little stuff on top of fuel tank.
- new filter and resistor.
- new intake manifold hoses and nuts & washers

about this Aeromotive pump, where did you found that price and would they sell for overseas?

Thanks,
Nuno

Consider changing the fuel pressure regulator too if you want everything to be new.

My Opinion, I am running a Denso in my NSX but installed a Walbro from SOS in a project NSX. I think they both work fine it is just preference and HP goals with tolerance to noise which is not bad, I kind of like the mechanical sounds the NSX make anyway.

Installing is one of the biggest PITA ever. Pay a tech at dealer to do it and save your back and hands. Took me right under 3hrs without stopping.

Back