• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY rear tail H emblem (comes out a bit red...)

Hi all, I thought I'd take some pics and share with you what I just did to my center garnish. I'm still not sure if I like it due to how red it looks, or if I like it because the redness makes it subtle.

I'd do a lot of writing, but the pictures kind of say it all.20130621_182435_Bayshore Dr_Richtone(HDR).jpg20130621_185602_Bayshore Dr_Richtone(HDR).jpg20130621_185850_Bayshore Dr_Richtone(HDR).jpg20130621_190339_Bayshore Dr.jpg20130621_191648_Bayshore Dr.jpg20130621_193049_Bayshore Dr.jpg20130621_182435_Bayshore Dr_Richtone(HDR).jpg20130621_185602_Bayshore Dr_Richtone(HDR).jpg20130621_185850_Bayshore Dr_Richtone(HDR).jpg20130621_190339_Bayshore Dr.jpg20130621_191648_Bayshore Dr.jpg20130621_193049_Bayshore Dr.jpg20130621_182435_Bayshore Dr_Richtone(HDR).jpg20130621_185602_Bayshore Dr_Richtone(HDR).jpg20130621_185850_Bayshore Dr_Richtone(HDR).jpg20130621_190339_Bayshore Dr.jpg20130621_191648_Bayshore Dr.jpg20130621_193049_Bayshore Dr.jpg

EDIT - I'm not sure how I managed to post each picture 3 times... mods, how do I fix this?

Last edited:
hi,

Is the emblem really on the outside. Does it reflect that much from the tail light to make it red like that? Another option I think that would look great is to spray it satin semigloss black.

Also I'm about to do my center tail light as well, which method did you use. Heat gun, boiling it in water or the oven?

There are many right ups, but I heard you have to becareful or else it will crack.

From the first picture with painting tape, the emblem is on the inside.. then look like he painted the emblem red? The black letters were then removed and the cover placed over the emblem. Sealing it in from the environment. ?

I guess the pictures didn't tell the whole story after all. :p

NSXchnk: The emblem is on rthe inside, stuck to the amber piece, behind the red outer lens. I used the painter's tape to help visualize center for aligning the badge. It's a 91 Civic badge, btw, and it's the same exact shape and dimensions as the NSX-R badge on the front of the car, just without the red filling. I thought about doing it black, but wanted to try this first. Do yours black - I wanna see!

I used the oven method at 150*. At this low heat I don't think you need to worry much about cracking. Go slowly and don't hesitate to pop it in the oven again if it's been out for a few minutes while you pull and pry on the seams. Go ahead and have out a small and large flat-tipped screwdriver, the small to pry the tabs up and the large to start the pieces separating. It should all be clear to you when you go to do it. There are also 3 phillips screws to undo. Once the halves are apart, there's just 4 tabs and some residual glue holding the amber reflector in.

IWantNSX: Yep, on the inside, but not painted. Not really trying to seal it in, I'd seen the emblem on the outside before and it looked a bit big, a bit stuck on. But then, those were the filled-in front style emblems so maybe this same badge on the outside would look just right.

I like it, but it looks like its hard to see from a distance. In real life can you see it better from a distance or do you need to be up close? I'm in the process of changing my center lens out also, but just a straight swap. I'm unsure of how to remove the carpet across the back end that covers the four bolts needed to remove it. I looked in the wiki and it said to remove the four screws that hold it on, they just keep turning, tried prying them, but thought I would ask for info before trying again. I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just looking for info on a somewhat related topic.

Thanks
Joe

91 NSX Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI White

They're just plastic body retainers holding the carpet in, they just take prying.

It looks a lot clearer in person, the picture makes it look like you have to be <6' away to see it.

Thanks for the info and yeah, pictures don't always do justice to many things, unless you have professional photograghers doing you pics. I also don't know why you have 3 sets of pics in post. I guess i'm just not geekish enough. lol

91 NSX Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI White

I guess the pictures didn't tell the whole story after all. :p

NSXchnk: I used the oven method at 150*. At this low heat I don't think you need to worry much about cracking. Go slowly and don't hesitate to pop it in the oven again if it's been out for a few minutes while you pull and pry on the seams. Go ahead and have out a small and large flat-tipped screwdriver, the small to pry the tabs up and the large to start the pieces separating. It should all be clear to you when you go to do it. There are also 3 phillips screws to undo. Once the halves are apart, there's just 4 tabs and some residual glue holding the amber reflector in.

I think I'm planning to leave it blank or put a Red H emblem on there. Not sure yet.

I have some questions.
1) Did you put you center tail light on a backing sheet as well?
2) Is there a certain way you positioned the center tail light in the oven? I assume only the red lense parts needs the most heat.
3) What type of sealant did you use? I heard a lot of people are using marine grade rtv sealant or something.

thanks

1) Yes, everything went on a baking sheet. At such a low temp it probably would've been fine on the bare grate, but the sheet makes it easier to take out and put in. YMMV.
2) Not really. The whole oven gets to be about the same temp anyway so I didn't put any effort into how it was positioned, other than shiny side up of course.
3) I put a spot of hot glue in the corners to hold the amber piece in place and heated the parts again, then stuck the red lens (w/ attached amber reflector) back onto the black plastic/metal piece sort of re-using the original glue.

I like this one. Maybe painting it black would raise the contrast.

Joe: I just realized we have very similar taste in vehicles. Besides my '91 NSX, I have a '10 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI in white. Brothers from another mother?

So the emblem is growing on me. I still might move it to the outside and/or paint it black. Curious to see if anyone else is going to give it a shot though.

Looks great, just wanted to know how did you remove the Acura from the tail light ? Did you have to scrape the letters out ? I will definitely add this to my winter project list.

Great thread, about 7 years ago I removed my "ACURA" lettering and placed a similar H emblem on my NSX but I was never really happy with it.

4468ebaee84b11e28ddc22000a9f15db_7.jpg

I ran into your thread a few weeks ago and I decided to give it another shot and place it inside of the tail light. I took your suggestion and plastidipped the emblem black and I'm in love with the result:

plasti1.jpg

plasti2.jpg

plasti3.jpg

And here's the JDM rear one (I haven't seen the NA1 JDM centers up close but it appears the H is above the red plastic which is why it is so dark and defined). But for the cost of a can of plastidip, I'm content with mine. Thanks again for the thread!

nsxstuff004_zps3484086c.jpg

Last edited:
I decided that the back of the NSX was a bit plain so added these decals, at least then those following can tell what it is.

Attachments

• honda.jpg
    honda.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Honda 1.jpg
    Honda 1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 124
After seeing the black emblem I promptly have my friend (the EF nut) going through his garage tomorrow morning to find me a front emblem off one of his 3 EF's. This will hopefully be tomorrow's project.

That looks great Skafia! Thanks for giving it a shot and for posting it!

Not bad, Eheim.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

After seeing the black emblem I promptly have my friend (the EF nut) going through his garage tomorrow morning to find me a front emblem off one of his 3 EF's. This will hopefully be tomorrow's project.

If you can spare another one I'd gladly pay something reasonable. I'm not too happy with my emblem once I looked closely--it appears to be a more rounded H emblem and not the square one.

Also, I think what would also look good is a vinyl black H sticker that can be placed on the inside of the center and not on the orange reflector.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Joe,
They were cut on a vinyl cutter at a university design workshop where I work occasionally - I may be able
to get some more cut.

Cheers John

What would you charge to replicate the 90's H emblem in black vinyl?

Last edited:
Update, I was able to pick up 2 of these emblems on eBay for $35 shipped brand new. Here it is with new emblem. I went with a different route and stuck the "H" on inside of the red lens rather than on the yellow reflector. Being a little closer to the front makes it stand out and a little bit darker. Originally, I was going to stick it so that you would see the back of the emblem but the emblem curves too much to stick properly so I just used 2 dabs of silicone sealant to mount it. You can make it out in the pics but you have to be very close.

nsx1.jpg

nsx2.jpg

nsx3.jpg

nsx4.jpg

Well, I've been putting this off, because I decided I want to go the Vinyl route as well. I know a guy who owns a sign shop and having them cut shouldn't be a problem, its just I have to either get the dimensions of the original H or bring him an EF hood emblem to copy the dimensions from. My biggest factor in not doing it yet is that time is NOT on my side. Working in the oil field on call 24/7 - and being so close to North Dakota, I've been EXTREMELY busy at work and not home very much.

I'll see if I can have a friend run the emblem down sometime this week to him to have him replicate in Vinyl. If/when I get it done I will have approx 20 made, so that way I can share them with those interested in them (just pay the cost of shipping it to you and whatever my cost is for them - I don't imagine more than a couple bucks each).

I haven't even had time to install the Seibon 02-05 rear lip that I received in August, let alone do the 2 or so hours of wiring on my racecar to get it fired up and ready for the Dyno.

Back