• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DMS Performance intake manifold

What headers were you using? Pic?

Would you be willing to send me the winpep files of your stock and aftermarket manifold pulls so I could overlay them with my car?

How much and will this fit using a LoveFab Targa Brace? If so, let's do it!

Again, The STMPO targa brace will need modified on the passenger side to accommodate the plenum being in the way, but I measured with a Comptech SC Targa brace and it fits without alteration. If you don't know anyone that can do this for you, it can be shipped to me and I can take care of it for you. I am also thinking about making my own brace as it is quite easy to do. I need to get a poll on how many would like it to be done to justify my time.

- - - Updated - - -

"Congratulations and well done dmscrx!" You should be pleased with both the result and this response after all your efforts.
Will you be investing more time on the dyno searching for the optimum NA set up? By that I mean playing with say, the 76mm Blox and various larger injectors etc.
You could probably assume anyone interested in fitting your new Intake Manifold already has headers and exhaust.

I may try the 76MM one here shortly, but I already have 550cc injectors installed because I am converting this car to flex fuel soon. Yes, I assume users will have at least some supporting mods as this manifold won't shine if there are other restrictions present.

- - - Updated - - -

Great project. My questions are:

1. How modular will the unit be? For example, will customers be able to order different length/diameter runners? Different sized (volume) plenums? Throttle body openings (sounds like it).

2. Does your intake (or will it) feature individual bellmouths?

3. Is the inside of the plenum a "single-plane" or "dual-plane"?

4. Will the retail piece be cast, or will it be a fabricated unit like the one you've teased?

5. Is your intake pipe 3" all the way through, or is it 3.5" in some spots (fender well, in particular)?

Thanks. This looks like a very nice piece.

No modular setup as it will cost more to design and then the price will get out of hand. The premise is a product that produces results without spending the money that is synonymous with high end manifolds. It already has bellmouth "velocity stacks" inside yes and it will not be cast, to keep costs down on my end. My intake pipe is 3 inch all the way to the coupler on my DF scoop which is 3.5 inch so there is one transition coupling involved.

- - - Updated - - -

What headers were you using? Pic?

Would you be willing to send me the winpep files of your stock and aftermarket manifold pulls so I could overlay them with my car?

Its easy to use even Microsoft paint to overlay the graph. Or send me your run file and I can overlay it with mine. At the beginning of this thread I mentioned the headers I am using. They are custom turbo manifolds on the upper end that I made so I can change the lower part out for when I make my turbo kit. I'll post a pic up here soon once I can take it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, on the price. It is going to be roughly $2500 including the throttle body, IACV remote mount, and some little essentials. I am putting a cap on it at that so it won't be any more. I am going to get definitive pricing shortly.

If you can, I would rather the price be lowered by selling without a throttle body. I would much rather either make a flange to use the OEM one, or get an aftermarket one of my own choosing. Probably would be easier on your end as well.

If you can, I would rather the price be lowered by selling without a throttle body. I would much rather either make a flange to use the OEM one, or get an aftermarket one of my own choosing. Probably would be easier on your end as well.

That's just the price for the kit that I have on my car now. I make adapter flanges for the OEM drive by wire TB only because they do not run a throttle cable. You are more than welcome to retro fit any TB you want on the manifold, but the throttle cable bracket is made so it runs under the manifold and as a result is on the opposite side versus OEM. The angle it pulls the throttle plate would not be sufficient for the OEM one simply because of its design. Again, you are more than welcome to try to get another TB to work. I am just offering this kit to make it simpler for the installer. If we get a group buy going, then the price can come down a bit, but that just depends on how many we do for the first order. If I get at least 6 guys to commit to buy then it will justify me spending the money here to become a vendor and do the group buy.

That's just the price for the kit that I have on my car now. I make adapter flanges for the OEM drive by wire TB only because they do not run a throttle cable. You are more than welcome to retro fit any TB you want on the manifold, but the throttle cable bracket is made so it runs under the manifold and as a result is on the opposite side versus OEM. The angle it pulls the throttle plate would not be sufficient for the OEM one simply because of its design. Again, you are more than welcome to try to get another TB to work. I am just offering this kit to make it simpler for the installer. If we get a group buy going, then the price can come down a bit, but that just depends on how many we do for the first order. If I get at least 6 guys to commit to buy then it will justify me spending the money here to become a vendor and do the group buy.

What kind of pricing are we looking at with 6 buyers? And what's the next tier/cutoff point?

My thread was deleted for trying to do the same thing. I was then given a less than ideal response why by one of the Mods who felt he knew the situation without me explaining anything. I would suggest you avoid talking about prices or group buys in this thread without being a sponsor to avoid the thread being deleted abruptly. My thread was under the new owner also.

Again, The STMPO targa brace will need modified on the passenger side to accommodate the plenum being in the way, but I measured with a Comptech SC Targa brace and it fits without alteration. If you don't know anyone that can do this for you, it can be shipped to me and I can take care of it for you. I am also thinking about making my own brace as it is quite easy to do. I need to get a poll on how many would like it to be done to justify my time.

Got it,

Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• Rear Targa.jpg
    Rear Targa.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 145
  • P1070070[1].jpg
    P1070070[1].jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
My thread was deleted for trying to do the same thing. I was then given a less than ideal response why by one of the Mods who felt he knew the situation without me explaining anything. I would suggest you avoid talking about prices or group buys in this thread without being a sponsor to avoid the thread being deleted abruptly. My thread was under the new owner also.

Noted, thank you. I won't speak anymore about this until I figure something out about vendor status. I just need to know if there is enough interest in this to justify becoming a vendor. If not, then I guess I'll be the only one enjoying this manifold haha :)

- - - Updated - - -

Is a stand alone ECU required for this to work?

Highly recommended to get the full potential from it. You can get it to work with a piggyback such as FIC, but unlocking all ignition advance and raising the rev limit is ideal. Plus, I'm converting it to flex fuel next which will give it more power and that's something you cannot do with the simpler management systems.

- - - Updated - - -

Got it,

Thanks for the info.

No problem :)

To be honest I'd be surprised if you get any more performance running any other fuel unless your current fuel is totally crap. In N/A form we didn't have any knock issues when tuning the car and wound more timing in to see if we could get it to knock and couldn't, so adding better fuel isn't going to give you more power........ usually the better fuel just stops the knock, but if you're not getting knock then there's no advantage........... if you're turbo then of course it'll make a large difference.

Loving what you've done with your intake plenum...... good to see someone doing something different and I think the intake system on the NSX is a real restriction if you even start getting serious with these motors.

To be honest I'd be surprised if you get any more performance running any other fuel unless your current fuel is totally crap. In N/A form we didn't have any knock issues when tuning the car and wound more timing in to see if we could get it to knock and couldn't, so adding better fuel isn't going to give you more power........ usually the better fuel just stops the knock, but if you're not getting knock then there's no advantage........... if you're turbo then of course it'll make a large difference.

Loving what you've done with your intake plenum...... good to see someone doing something different and I think the intake system on the NSX is a real restriction if you even start getting serious with these motors.

It doesn't work that way with oxygenated fuels. There is always a power gain, even with a naturally aspirated car. I have tons of data on over 100 cars showing this. There are many tuners out there who have the same data as myself. Thanks for the compliment though. Just trying to help this engine show its true potential and hopefully others will join in with the same resolve :)

I'm much more interested in seeing what this can do for a FI NSX. Seems like such a waste for a NA car, but I'm a bit biased as always. If you are NA, just go to sexy ITBs and be done with it. This looks like the ultimate option for guys/gals that are trying to force more air than the current design allows.

I'm much more interested in seeing what this can do for a FI NSX. Seems like such a waste for a NA car, but I'm a bit biased as always. If you are NA, just go to sexy ITBs and be done with it. This looks like the ultimate option for guys/gals that are trying to force more air than the current design allows.

As I have said before it isn't a replacement for ITBs, it is a much cheaper option for a naturally aspirated upgrade and for those on the fence about FI can run it and enjoy the benefits until the FI goes on. I am all for gathering data on a FI setup. I know the gains will be bigger.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you email me those files? Thanks.

E-mail your file(s) to [email protected] and I will overlay them for you. You can easily plot mine on your graph otherwise. The scaling is there.

So for the DBW guys do you like the 76mm Nissan TB or a blox TB better? Do both require an adapter plate to be made if not using the oem TB? And will any of the non oem be able to run off AEM FIC?

It would seem the oem TB would be a restriction in the path so I would think changing the TB would make sense, although I guess this makes power even if the oem is used.

As I have said before it isn't a replacement for ITBs, it is a much cheaper option for a naturally aspirated upgrade and for those on the fence about FI can run it and enjoy the benefits until the FI goes on. I am all for gathering data on a FI setup. I know the gains will be bigger.

- - - Updated - - -

E-mail your file(s) to [email protected] and I will overlay them for you. You can easily plot mine on your graph otherwise. The scaling is there.
Why are you being so secretive with your files?

Why are you being so secretive with your files?

I'm sorry, do I know you? Who knows what you are going to do with them. I have no reason to give them to you. What you are trying to do can be done without them so why do you keep insisting I give them to you? I will be happy to do the overlay for you and give you the comparison if you send yours to me.

- - - Updated - - -

So for the DBW guys do you like the 76mm Nissan TB or a blox TB better? Do both require an adapter plate to be made if not using the oem TB? And will any of the non oem be able to run off AEM FIC?

It would seem the oem TB would be a restriction in the path so I would think changing the TB would make sense, although I guess this makes power even if the oem is used.

Yeah the TB won't make a whole lot of difference in power, just a few hp. I don't think Blox makes the DBW throttle anymore so I would recommend a stock one if you don't plan on doing a management system like the Infinity for the TB like the Nissan one. I will have an adapter plate made for the DBW guys to make it bolt-on. Beyond that, will need to be custom which isn't hard to do. I will structure those orders differently if a custom TB is requested. I can do that here at my shop.

I'm sorry, do I know you? Who knows what you are going to do with them. I have no reason to give them to you. What you are trying to do can be done without them so why do you keep insisting I give them to you? I will be happy to do the overlay for you and give you the comparison if you send yours to me.
To look to see what the temperature and humidity differences are, compare them SAE instead of the higher reading STD correction factor, and see the power differences at 5,750 and 7,500rpm. So in that case can you answer the following:

-what was the ambient temp and humidity of the stock and your intake manifold runs?
-what's the power and tq differences at 5,750rpm?
-what's the power and tq differences at 7,500rpm?
-can you verify if a 76mm TB was used w.your manifold run?
-can you dyno your manifold with a stock TB?

To look to see what the temperature and humidity differences are, compare them SAE instead of the higher reading STD correction factor, and see the power differences at 5,750 and 7,500rpm. So in that case can you answer the following:

-what was the ambient temp and humidity of the stock and your intake manifold runs?
-what's the power and tq differences at 5,750rpm?
-what's the power and tq differences at 7,500rpm?
-can you verify if a 76mm TB was used w.your manifold run?
-can you dyno your manifold with a stock TB?

My first three pulls on my car with KN filter and exhaust were done on STD (242WHP) so I continued with the same correction factor on all subsequent testing. HP was pretty much spot on with this correction factor. The difference between SAE and STD on my new graph is -4WHP. Not much different because the correction factor varies depending on ambient temp and run conditions. Changing correction factors the gains are the same give or take 1hp. Since you must know, before runs were done at 61 degrees with 36 percent humidity. After runs were done with 55 degrees and 26 percent humidity. What should matter more to you should be the intake temperature inside the plenum as well as surface temperature of the plenum. Power difference @5750 rpm: Before 211.95 After 228.19 @ 7500rpm: Before 258.93 After 277.60. Tq difference @ 5750rpm Before 193.52 After 208.35 @ 7500rpm Before 181.26 After 194.32. This can all be seen on the graph I provided.

I was using a 74MM tb and not the 76MM.
I have said before in previous posts that the OEM throttle body isn't going to work on this manifold. Only the DBW one will fit with an adapter plate. The throttle cable just won't work with the OEM TB. I cannot provide the data on this manifold with an OEM TB unless someone installs this manifold with a DBW setup.

Last edited:
Looks awesome. I'm interested, but i have a lovefab bar and a na2.... :(

Will you get a carb legal sticker with it? Nope. Will it pass emissions? Yes so long as you keep the emissions components hooked up and it is tuned properly. I have added an EGR port for those who wish to hook it up. Other than vacuum ports/EVAP port the EGR is the only other emissions component affected.

Don't forget the wrinkle black powder coat finish for that OEM look. ;)

I believe you started answering this already, but have you done any testing on the different lengths and harmonics with this manifold? It seems like this was the first dyno you did with the manifold, and you are just going to use this design since it made gains. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My first three pulls on my car with KN filter and exhaust were done on STD (242WHP) so I continued with the same correction factor on all subsequent testing. HP was pretty much spot on with this correction factor. The difference between SAE and STD on my new graph is -4WHP. Not much different because the correction factor varies depending on ambient temp and run conditions. Changing correction factors the gains are the same give or take 1hp. Since you must know, before runs were done at 61 degrees with 36 percent humidity. After runs were done with 55 degrees and 26 percent humidity. What should matter more to you should be the intake temperature inside the plenum as well as surface temperature of the plenum. Power difference @5750 rpm: Before 211.95 After 228.19 @ 7500rpm: Before 258.93 After 277.60. Tq difference @ 5750rpm Before 193.52 After 208.35 @ 7500rpm Before 181.26 After 194.32. This can all be seen on the graph I provided.

I was using a 74MM tb and not the 76MM.
I have said before in previous posts that the OEM throttle body isn't going to work on this manifold. Only the DBW one will fit with an adapter plate. The throttle cable just won't work with the OEM TB. I cannot provide the data on this manifold with an OEM TB unless someone installs this manifold with a DBW setup.
Thank you. Do you have AITs?

I'm getting a 7whp difference going from STD (276.12whp) to SAE (269.08whp) and I've always liked to look at SAE since it makes different runs a bit more comparable than STD.

Overlaying the images isn't as clear and took more time than just hitting 'export', but here's my analysis:

Stock Manifold: (Red line)
-Custom DMS direct intake piping with DF scoop
-Custom DMS Upper turbo manifolds & Route KS titanium exhaust
-AEM Infinity
-Stock 65mm TB

dsmcrx Manifold: (Blue line)
-Custom DMS direct intake piping with DF scoop
-Custom DMS Upper turbo manifolds & Route KS titanium exhaust
-AEM Infinity
-BLOX 74mm TB

Ported Stock Manifold: (Green line)
-Stock piping with DF scoop
-TopSpeed Headers & small muffler (look at MotoIQ article)
-Stock ECU
-Stock 65mm TB

Conditions:

Stock Manifold: 61*F with 36% humidity.
dsmcrx Manifold: 55*F and 26% humidity.
Ported Stock Manifold (MotoIQ Article): 85.56*F 13% Humidity

-The dsmcrx Manifold had slightly more preferable temperatures and humidity, but they are close. The Ported Stock Manifold pull had much less ideal temperature but had better humidity conditions.

Power @4,000rpm:

Ported Stock Manifold: 138.26whp, 181.28tq
Stock Manifold: ~148whp, ~193tq
dsmcrx Manifold: ~150whp, ~195tq

-The lack of the VVIS plates in the Ported Stock Manifold greatly hurt the low end torque of the engine below 5,250rpm. The larger TB and dsmcrx manifold equaled or bettered the power and torque up to 5,250rpm.

Power @5750 rpm:

Stock Manifold: 211.95whp, 193.52tq
Ported Stock: 224.64whp, 205.22tq
dmscrx Manifold: 228.19whp, 208.35tq

-The Ported Stock and dsmcrx manifolds really pull away from the stock intake manifold above 5,250rpmand overlay very similarly with the dsmcrx manifold slightly having more power between 5,600-6,300rpm but the stock ported manifold has a pronounced strength from 6,300-7,000rpm. They then overlay from 7,000-7,500rpm.

Power @ 7500rpm:

Stock Manifold: 258.93whp, 181.26tq
Ported Stock Manifold: 274.70whp, 192.19tq
dsmcrx Manifold: 277.60whp, 194.32tq

-Both the Stock Ported and dsmcrx manifolds have noticeably more power than stock at higher engine speeds. If you look at the general shape of the ported manifold vs. stock, they have the same dips and shape from 5,500-8,000rpm with the ported manifold having ~10-12hp more than stock during this range.

Power @7,900rpm:

Stock Manifold: 247.29whp, 163.64tq
Ported Stock Manifold: 268.90whp, 178.65tq
dsmcrx Manifold: 281.31whp, 186.14tq

-At high rpm is where the dsmcrx really shines. After 7,500rpm where the stock TB and intake (even the ported one) start to drop, the dsmcrx manifold takes off and keeps making more power until ~8,200pm I wonder if a larger TB would keep this power increase going all the way to 8,500rpm.

Overall, it's impressive that the 74mm TB and dsmcrx manifold match and better the stock VVIS system at low rpm. This is huge for a daily driver since the Ported Stock manifold would feel very sluggish for daily driving rpm where you're not revving the motor out all the time. For the most part the dsmcrx and ported stock manifolds are similar between 5,250-7,500rpm with each having a slightly stronger band, however the combination of low end power and very high RPM power, the dsmcrx manifold & 74mm TB would make for a great well-rounded and more powerful gain for an NA car, and even more so for those who are going to rev their motors out and increase the redline.

I would be eager to see both a 65mm and 76-80mm TB pulls to see how they affect the top end breathing, ut either way the 74mm throttle body should make for a very good performance gain.

At ~$2,400, will the fuel rails also come with the manifold and TB?

Billy, why are you trying to compare the two? The test is not apples to apples because you have a stock ECU and he has an infinity system. I'm not sure how well you are familiar with Infinity(or if you noticed the two differences), but it makes a big difference in the dyno comparisons.

The size of a 68mm vs a 76mm tb is no where near as significant as comparing the two different ECUs that you two have. If the motor doesn't need more than the 68mm tb then the gains would be very minimal. I am doubting the motor is asking for much bigger than a 76mm at most, and I have seen test between 62mm and 72mm TBs(2.6L motor) that have shown a 1whp gain with almost identical curves. People make TB size out to be a lot more significant than it really is. Especially when dealing with larger volume intake manifolds.

The best way to find out if your TB is too small for your IM plenum is to
determine what the intake manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor is reading (in
the plenum) when you are at full throttle ( or wide open throttle (WOT) ) while
the car is accel using a datalogger. The MAP should be equal to, or close to,
atmospheric pressure. If it isn't or there is a MAP drop at WOT, then your TB is
still too small.

Last edited:
Back