• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do other drivers just not see you on the road??!!!

Damn, I've only owned this NSX for a week now, and have almost gotten squashed by SUVs 5 times already!! Do they just not look when switching lanes, or is it because this car is so damn flat?

A lot of it is because you live in California! They are nuts out here. They cut me off and give ME the finger.

Never get too close to those SUVs or trucks at a stop light. They can't see you in back of them. I always leave a car length at lights.

Happy motoring...

Here is your answers

a) The driver of SUV is a dick/bitch who thinks they own the road. :mad:

b) Talking on the cell phone and not paying any attention to the traffic around them. :rolleyes:

c) Honest mistake, didn't see you or forgot to check. :eek:

d) None of the above. They just can't drive. :p

:D

I never accept the excuse that my car is too short for them to see. After all, I could have been a small a child walking behind the truck. It's their responsibility to see us, not ours to be seen. Of course, it doesn't hurt to be defensive and make sure you are seen.

The low height can be a factor. A Lotus Esprit very very nearly crashed into me when he was making a turn while exiting a side street. He didn't see me at all because there was a truck that was trying to turn in to that same side street and completely obscured the Esprit driver's vision of what was coming on the lane next to where that truck was. To be honest, I didn't see him either until we almost made contact. Good thing neither of us were moving very fast at the time.

*wipes sweat off brow*

My rules for riding a motorcycle are:

1 ) Assume the other drivers don't see you.
2) If they see you they are going to try to get you.

and I've heard the ultimate defensive driving course is to ride a motorcycle in a busy area for 6 months -> Pass Fail course

I definetly drive defensively....when I had my S2000, I always drove with the lights on hoping they would see me better..plus those xenon lights are way cool to look at during the day. But with the NSX, along with my Rx-7, I like the closed head light position during the day....maybe I should have gotten a red one, huh?:p

I still can't figure out how the NSX can be so hard to see for everyone else?

NSX/MR2 said:

They are blinded by the beauty of the NSX.:D

We also have to couple this with those butt heads that ARE able to see you, but because you're driving a NSX and they are not, like to cut you off.

Don't you love those Ford F-150 pick-up guys? Not to mention those people in their Mustangs...

NSX/MR2 said:

It is not hard to see...many people are just too stupid to actually look for anything smaller than a semi truck next to them. I have lost track of the amount of SUV drivers that have almost smashed into me in either the NSX or S2000 and then they flip ME off for being there!! NEWSFLASH!! I was in my lane first and YOU were coming over here, SUV driver!! The 'soccer mom's' in their mini-vans are just as bad though. :mad:

It really is sad when the idiots on their cell phones almost tag you then do not even have the courtesy to give the 'I am sorry' wave. You know the one. I would love to have that happen when I was in my Blazer. I would just let them hit me and see how they explain to the officer that they are a moron and hit a vehicle in broad daylight because they were too lazy to look. :D

I was just thinking....there was an NSX owner in California named Christian several years ago that almost got killed when some idiot lady on her cell phone ran a RED LIGHT and broadsided him in an intersection!! I remember it because the car was a 1995 Formula Red NSX-T that had been in storage for 2-3 years and he had JUST got the car out a few weeks earlier. He was on a drive with other NSX's and was going through an intersection (he had a green light) and this lady was yacking on her phone in her SUV and smashed right into the passenger side of the car almost killing him. The damage estimate was like $75,000 worth of damage!! She never even apologized, thought she did nothing wrong, AND never received a ticket. How someone could blast through a RED LIGHT, into a bright red sports car, almost kill the driver, and STILL escape any responsibility or feelings of guilt is beyond me. Those are the people we are on the road with my friends. Morons. :mad: :mad:

(*That poor car only had about 5,100 miles when it was totalled.)

It's not just with a NSX

I can't tell you how many times I see someone driving on the highway while applying makeup (looking in the flip-down vanity mirror or rear view), reading a newspaper, turninig to check on the baby in the back seat, or yell at another child while driving 60-70mph. People seem to lose their brains when driving. Yes, I see more women driving big SUV's talking on cell phones, drinking coffee, and applying makeup, all at the same time they're driving on the highway. I admit, I'm not that talented a driver (never put my makeup on where people can see me JK). My favorite accident was in my new 2000 C5 yellow convertible, I was stopped at a traffic light and got rear-ended by a woman (I was watching her come at me in my rearview and couldn't do anything as there was a car stopped in front of me) who told me afterwards, that she was fixing her shoe (while driving with an infant sitting next to the seat she should've been restrained in). She also told me to do what I had to claimwise, as the car she was driving that day was a rental, her car was in the shop from the accident she had caused the week before, and she was going to lose her insurance in anycase. She should've lost her license, driving with an infant not properly belted into the appropriate seat, taking her eyes off the road to fix her shoe, the only suprise was that she wasn't talking on the cell phone at the same time!!! No, it's not only when we drive our NSX's, it all of the time!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I remember seeing this portable sign system you put at the back window...you basicaly select which symbol you want at push of the button, and the proper sign comes up...Someone should attach one of those red LED "airport" sign system with preprogrammed text messages (get of the phone!, stop the makeup, etc..), only problem is that it might cause more problems than asked for....:mad:

Two days after getting my NSX, I had a big ol' ford F-350 Doully cut across four lanes of traffic and would have most certianly hit me if I had not stomped on my breaks and turned into the curb (damaging my HREs). She just continued down the road without a care in the world.

So, I revved up my black beauty and zoomed around in front of her. She was getting into a turning lane and I got there first (go figure) and stopped the car, got out, and gave her a piece of my mind. Then this redneck chick (she had the confederate flag proudly displayed for her front tag) pulled out a police badge and told me to back off or she would put a bullet in me arse.

I showed her my badge as well..........hmm...interesting developement....b*tch!!

Needless to say, I never got anything from her in terms of paying for the damage she caused my NSX (how can I prove she was the cause of the accident?)

As of now I have a louder muffler and a more aggressive body style to the car. Still, having owned a bright Yellow/black motorcycle with a loud muffler as well for 2 years; I have come to this simple conclusion:

a) The driver of SUV is a dick/bitch who thinks they own the road.

My case

b) Talking on the cell phone and not paying any attention to the traffic around them.

My case as well

c) Honest mistake, didn't see you or forgot to check.

doubtfully my case

d) None of the above. They just can't drive.

I think this applies to far more people than we would like to believe

Preach The Gospel Akira. And God help us all in our wee sport cars and motorcycles.

Re: It's not just with a NSX

RPM217 said:
....My favorite accident was in my new 2000 C5 yellow convertible....

Well, I mean your car was only BRIGHT YELLOW, so how can someone be expected to see that?? LOL! :D

JPS Europa said:
You think the NSX is hard to see. You should try a black Lotus Europa!!! You have to drive assuming that no one can see you.

LOL! There is a local guy with one, and I am surprised nobody had hit him. By the way....nice Brooklands Green NSX in your avatar. Is that your car? Reminds me of a friend of mine that had one....#284 I think....it was a really pretty car. What car number do you have?

6061-T6 said:
My rules for riding a motorcycle are:

1 ) Assume the other drivers don't see you.
2) If they see you they are going to try to get you.

and I've heard the ultimate defensive driving course is to ride a motorcycle in a busy area for 6 months -> Pass Fail course

I have a similar rule when I am on my bike, I assume that the other drivers are trying to run me over.

JPS Europa said:
Same Car!!! #284 I have had it for about 2 years now.

WOW!! Are you serious?? That is crazy that you have the exact same car!! I have some pictures around here somewhere of it. When and where did you get it?? That is soo amazing!! :eek: :eek:

I have the original sticker. Sold by Fort Wayne Acura. The car was sold in 2000 to a fellow in PA. I bought it from him beginning of 2002. It is still in perfect shape. I spent a year looking for the right Brooklands Green car. It now has 41K miles on it. A third of those miles are mine. The car has silver rims instead of gun-metal. I assume they were repainted; I like them. The other mod is a Momo shifter. I wouldn't have done that, but it does feel sporty.
Back to topic...I can't count the number of times I have been alongside a normal sedan, have seen the driver look right over my car, then turn right into me. This seems to happen more with regular cars than SUVs. I think that the SUV drivers are used to looking down to see if something is there.
What I really don't like about SUVs is seeing the bumper at the same level as my face.

JPS Europa said:
I have the original sticker. Sold by Fort Wayne Acura. The car was sold in 2000 to a fellow in PA. I bought it from him beginning of 2002. It is still in perfect shape. I spent a year looking for the right Brooklands Green car. It now has 41K miles on it. A third of those miles are mine. The car has silver rims instead of gun-metal. I assume they were repainted; I like them. The other mod is a Momo shifter. I wouldn't have done that, but it does feel sporty...

I have sent you a PM about this.... :)

Back