• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you think the new NSX will be as Timeless as the original?

i like it. I use - "honey you are so gorgeous no one will ever look twice at what you're wearing."

on the topic of the thread, the answer is no. The first is always special.
Think of the classics, corvette, 911, mustang, lambo.

+++1.

No. It will be a great car, no doubt, but it will not be the same. The original NSX was a culmination of a national spirit that cannot be repeated. It was Japan's statement to the world that, after rubuilding from the ashes of WWII, they were an economic force to be reckoned with. It was also a consumer distillation of the incredible success Honda was finding in Formula 1. In many ways, the NSX is a national icon of Japan and reflects the heady sentiments of those times- a swagger and confidence wrapped up in traditional Japanese modesty..with a wink. :)

Such sentiments no longer exist. Japan is slowly exiting from 20 years of persistent stagnation. Honda is not racing in Formula 1, and exited in 2008 as a mediocre team resigned to perpetual defeat and bad cars. Honda also is getting slammed in the press for poor quality, watered down products and boring styling. This is not the environment that produces greatness.

Indeed, if you look at how these two NSX cars were developed, it is clear. The original was a slow, thoughful process that took years, starting in the mid 1980's and constantly refined, tested and refined again. The direction was "build the best sports car in the world" and was backed up with a blank check. Honda turned its engineers loose and they came up with our beloved NSX.

Fast forward to today. This NSX is the result of the company hitting the panic button. It was hastily thrown together over the past 18 months after the HSV was scrapped. The accountants and marketers are the ones running the program now, not the engineers. Instead of making the statement "we are the best in the world" like the original, this car appears to be intended to state "we are still relevant." I imagine the direction was something like the accountants/marketers telling the engineers "um, so we need a halo car now...can you get us one of those in 18 months and at X budget? Thanks so much." Totally different mentality. Almost like going to Target and pulling one off the shelf.

Look, I am elated that Honda is going to do a super sports car again. I think they should. And, I am very happy they will apparently be sticking to the "purist" mid-engine platform. I hope the car looks great and initiates a turnaround in the company. I just don't think it will have the same effect as the original. That's why my 91 is staying right where it belongs- in my garage. :D

2nd. The original NSX was well developed, but many components that went into it cannot be replicated.

For instance, the Senna factor (unrivaled in many ways, said to have been the largest public funeral in history for example), the Murray/Mclaren F1's documented inspiration from the NSX, the Japanese facing off against the world in mass, and Honda's F1 accomplishments.

I think the only comparison would be if Hyundai came to compete in F1, had massive success, received direct input from a new F1 star, developed a chassis out of a material never done before, and ushered in a new era of supercar development. The circumstances around the original NSX are one of a kind.

2nd. The original NSX was well developed, but many components that went into it cannot be replicated.

For instance, the Senna factor (unrivaled in many ways, said to have been the largest public funeral in history for example), the Murray/Mclaren F1's documented inspiration from the NSX, the Japanese facing off against the world in mass, and Honda's F1 accomplishments.
QUOTE]

Couldnt have said it better myself! The NSX was a direct reward for Honda's domination and engineering moxy. They were on a roll.

Similar to the way the S2000 was a result of the CART domination in the late 90s. The speedo on that car was modeled after an Champcar dash, for example.

fiesty

Back