• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does your NSX feel dated?

Reviews of the nsx done the last 5-8 years in the car mags alway talk about how the basic design of the nsx dates back to 1990 and other than the na2 update in 07 and the face lift and few changes in 2002, the car is still the samae basic car it was in 1991. For those of you lucky enough to have an nsx, does your car feel at all "dated" compared to any more recently designed sports car??? and if it does feel "old", does it make it any less fun to drive??? Please also let us know what other sports cars, if any, you have driven for comparison.....:smile: :biggrin:

I sold mine a few months ago and miss it terribly. I bought another Viper and wish I had kept the NSX. Mine was a 94 and it did not feel dated at all. I sold my 95 355 about 2 years ago and that thing felt dated. My Vipers are a 98 and a 99. They actually don't feel dated, just rough compared to the NSX. I'm buying an SRT10 and keeping it until the new NSX is released.

You need to quit asking questions and just buy one doc.

scycle2020 said:
Reviews of the nsx done the last 5-8 years in the car mags alway talk about how the basic design of the nsx dates back to 1990 and other than the na2 update in 07 and the face lift and few changes in 2002, the car is still the samae basic car it was in 1991. For those of you lucky enough to have an nsx, does your car feel at all "dated" compared to any more recently designed sports car??? and if it does feel "old", does it make it any less fun to drive??? Please also let us know what other sports cars, if any, you have driven for comparison.....:smile: :biggrin:

Mine doesn't at all.
What NA2 update done in '07 are you talking about?

The NSX is weird that way. I have an 04 so it's like a new old car when it comes to features ,but that's about it. I had an 04 S2000 and I currently also have an 05 M3 ( tons of features on that car ,but I guess it's also dated now ).

It's kinda of like having bought an apple computer a few years ago and seeing
all the microsoft pc's just now catch up:biggrin:

92NSX said:
Mine doesn't at all.
What NA2 update done in '07 are you talking about?

Maybe he was talking about the changes in 1997 ('97)? And typed '07 instead of '97...

Not dated, they've (Acura) has just avoided adding every new gizmo and feature they could have so in comarison to some cars it is "dated". I actually like that because most of the new cars seem overdone, cheesy and not with the class that the NSX has. Change for the sake of change is not always a good thing when it comes to styling.
90% of the people that see and ride in the car think its brand new.

scycle2020 said:

The easiest way to answer this is to give a quick and common example of a reaction that I am sure most early NSX owners have received from onlookers. The conversation goes something like this:

Onlooker: 'Wow! Nice car. What is it?'
NSX owner: 'It's an Acura.'
Onlooker: 'Really? What kind?'
NSX owner: 'It is an NSX?'
Onlooker: 'Is it brand new?'
NSX owner: 'No. This one is a 1991.'
Onlooker: 'NO WAY!'
NSX owner: 'Yep...this car is 15 years old.'
Onlooker: 'Wow....it looks brand new.'

I have had that conversation many times. I have driven almost everything under the sun from Porsche, Ferrari, to a couple of cars from Lamborghini, and can say that the NSX feels fine. There are some design elements like the in dash tape deck that are tip offs to its age, but that is about it. From a driving feel and looks perspective I still have a blast with my cars eventhough they are over a decade old. :)

Whatever the magazines (esp the german ones) say I always build/t my own opinion. :) Yes, the NSX is 15 years old but I've never drove a better car of that age. :) If you feel tired of the interior do some (carbon :D) mods and all other car look aged. The leather quality is absolutly excellent, compared to new Audis/Porsches/BMW's anyway. :)

scycle2020 said:
… does your car feel at all "dated" compared to any more recently designed sports car??? and if it does feel "old", does it make it any less fun to drive?...

It feels dated to me only because it doesn’t have all those electric thingys, dimming lights, etc. and not as much power as the newer cars.
But other than that, is doesn’t feel dated. The way it looks and feels to drive is not dated.

And definitely not less fun to drive.

Actually, lacking all those electric things, you would think people would scorn it. But not having all those new things is made up by other people’s respect for it. It gets balanced out. Amazing for a 15 year old car.

So, for example, I would meet a Porsche guy, his car has lots of new cool things as options and more power.
But does he look down on the NSX because it is plain? No, either he doesn’t know it lacks all the electric thingys, or he knows and respects the car.
Either way, the NSX gets away with it.

I think that’s the key phrase: The NSX gets away with it. Why? Because despite its drawbacks, it is an exceptional car to drive.
Notice I said “…to drive.” By today’s standards it’s not an exceptional car. It’s exceptional to drive. IMO

You should try it; you would know what I mean.:smile:

the only thing that makes my car feel dated is the fact i have a tape deck instead of Navi system installed etc, that can be remedied of course,

other than creature comforts i don't really think it feels dated.
most of my friends' cars have creature comforts that they find super annoying
like super agressive traction control ie, 350z and e46 M3, or their cars are more spartan (Evo 8 and STI)

also 99% of people have no idea what the hell an nsx is

granted i wish i had a cupholder for those 4 am Del Taco runs where for some reason the 2 seater car has to order 8 drinks and 8 bags of tacos or white castle burgers... ROFL

isellpower said:
I sold mine a few months ago and miss it terribly. I bought another Viper and wish I had kept the NSX. Mine was a 94 and it did not feel dated at all. I sold my 95 355 about 2 years ago and that thing felt dated. My Vipers are a 98 and a 99. They actually don't feel dated, just rough compared to the NSX. I'm buying an SRT10 and keeping it until the new NSX is released.

You need to quit asking questions and just buy one doc.
,i am trying...currently looking...none within 150 miles..so it will be time for a road trip soon....but i am a slooooow buyer...too complusive...i need to be more implusive!! But its probably a good thing or else sports cars would bankrupt me......

If I still get 180 degree head turn when I pass by almost every car, then it's not out-dated. Remember, NSX is the best sport cars out there today in the Japan market.

Meeyatch1 said:
The conversation goes something like this:

Onlooker: 'Wow! Nice car. What is it?'
NSX owner: 'It's an Acura.'
Onlooker: 'Really? What kind?'
NSX owner: 'It is an NSX?'
Onlooker: 'Is it brand new?'
NSX owner: 'No. This one is a 1991.'
Onlooker: 'NO WAY!'
NSX owner: 'Yep...this car is 15 years old.'
Onlooker: 'Wow....it looks brand new.'

I have had that conversation many times.

I have this same conversation constantly.

NsXMas said:
negative.

And speaking of impulse, the NSX is probably the best to buy on impulse. With nearly zero depreciation for early models, it'll be the cheapest car you ever own.
true, ..how will the na2 hold there value???? i imagine it will still be good for the late 90s models:smile:

No way!! The conversation mentioned earlier happens all the time to me. Almost nobody has ever seen this car. My 2005 Lexus LX and the 2005 Lexus SC430 had an in dash cassette player, and they aren't dated. Do Ferrari's have NAV systems?? I've never seen one with a NAV system. Only now are cars catching up to the NSX. Titanium rods, VTEC, aluminum construction etc. I'll bet it's the last production car with a non-digital odometer, but I'm not losing any sleep over that!!! An RL is for gadget people. The NSX is pure sports car. I'm glad they left the gadgets off. They made up for it with that really long antenna!!!:smile:

This is what people's faces look like when I tell them it's a '92 " :eek: "

followed by "no way":confused:

me:biggrin:

Last edited:
Not at all. No one can believe it is a 1994. Most think that it is a Ferrari - I don't mind.

NSXs are pretty rare in the Mid-Atlantic region and therefore quite exotic.

Last edited:
Still looks fresh to me. Sometimes I just can't believe people's reactions.

Took the car out to Santa Monica for the very first time this afternoon, considering how common NSX is in Southern Cal. We were shocked by all the attention. Pedestrians and walking People were saying "look, NSX" etc. You can really tell that all eyes were on you with their heads turning and twisting. I really had a great time this afternoon. It is funny, sometimes people know it is NSX, but don't know what brand it is.

The group of owners that feels the NSX is dated probably already sold the NSX. The rest of us haven't felt that way yet! When I do feel the NSX is dated, I will probably sell it. I hope the new NSX don't make me feel this way.:wink:

Back