• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does your NSX feel dated?

Synthesis said:
scratch that bold mark on the 0-100 of the evo, 0-100 on the evo is not better.... (it's sad that if i don't do this post somebody will say something about it).

but just a reminder.... i'm not trying to degrade the nsx, but sometimes i read these posts and think some of you got some sort of special edition nsx.... or just haven't driven a car made in the past few years.

Oh I know Evo's are fast. I have two friends with them and we go to the track a couple of times a year. I raced one of them on the freeyay and was shocked that he caught up and passed me. Of course when we got to our destination he told me he was running 25lbs of boost:eek:

I completely agree the car was pretty much neglected by Honda.

Synthesis said:
scratch that bold mark on the 0-100 of the evo, 0-100 on the evo is not better.... (it's sad that if i don't do this post somebody will say something about it).

but just a reminder.... i'm not trying to degrade the nsx, but sometimes i read these posts and think some of you got some sort of special edition nsx.... or just haven't driven a car made in the past few years.

Yeah the NSX guy's will jump all over you for that:eek:

Don't sweat it although the times listed for the Nsx are kind of high. I generally see them more along 4.5-4.8 for the 97+. But hey what's a few tenths a second among friends:biggrin:

Synthesis said:
doesn't anybody else feel that the car wasn't given enough attention over the years? am i the only person that feels this way?

I agree 100%.

Here is how I see it.
91-96: 3.0L 270 HP
99-01: 3.2L 290 HP
THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE:
02-05 - 3.5L 350HP + Indash CD and alcantra interior option.

That would have brought new life into the NSX in 02. It would have got a lot more attention in the media and most likely sold much better.

But, they didn't and I cannot see how ANYONE at honda could think the money they spend on the "02 refresh" was a good investment.

Plus I have said all along that Honda should have made the CTSC a factory option starting in 97. There is no doubt in my mind that would have dramatically increased sales. A 97 CTSC NSX would have put a major hurting on the 355 at the time. (I mean performance, not sales). Nobody would call the car "underpowered".

WingZ said:
Oh I know Evo's are fast. I have two friends with them and we go to the track a couple of times a year. I raced one of them on the freeyay and was shocked that he caught up and passed me. Of course when we got to our destination he told me he was running 25lbs of boost:eek:

I completely agree the car was pretty much neglected by Honda.

EVO and STI are fast for sure, but if you look at the 0-100 times, they NSX is ahead at 100MPH and would continue to pull away. Even a 91 NSX could outrun an EVO or STI to say 120MPH.

Yes, if Acura had of made a CTSC an option, who would be saying that the car was underpowered? All of the naysayers would have been silenced.

With the relationship between Comptech and Acura, Im surprised they didnt do that.

Probably cheaper to do it ourselves tho ;)

Ive never had a problem with STis on the track myself (when I was stock). Quick, but Ive found that my car was faster...

Vancehu said:
911 looks out dated, it has the same look since twenty thousand years ago, and all they did was make bigger and fatter. :biggrin:

911 Sales figures prove how dated it is. Nobody buys them!

scycle2020 said:
if it does feel "old", does it make it any less fun to drive??? Please also let us know what other sports cars, if any, you have driven for comparison
I just picked up a 97 today, and it feels and looks 100% NEW.

I've driven several C5 Z06s, S2000, WRX STi, Type-R, 01 Prelude, etc
I've sat in EVERYTHING(car show junkie). C6 Z06, M3, 06 Mustang, Acura TL, etc, etc.

Compared to all of those... a 97 NSX seems just as modern in design, and in many cases, still much more advanced.

Hothonda said:
Last fall I drove everything out there to $100K...I purchased a new '05 NSX
(my 5th new NSX since '94). The only other car I seriously considered was the GT3. It was a nice car but the dealer experience sucked. After previously owning a new 996 it reminded me that I'd be visiting the dealer a lot more than I ever did with any of my NSX's...that eliminated the Porsche.

I don't think this looks dated at all.....

8860NSX_5-med.jpg

I just brought home an 05 Long Beach Blue Pearl today and it is as fresh as anything out there. Acura hit the nail on the head 15 years ago and it is spot on. I cannot believe the looks this car gets and I cannot stop admiring it. Now does it lack some of the new techy crap??? sure does, but who cares, this is a drivers car.

One of my favorite cars of the past was a 1980 911sc it was perfect you had to drive it and the engine was pure music to listen to. This car is all that and more. I also was waiting on the new GT3, but why wait, this car is already correct and has 15 years of honing under its belt. Its not about the power and gizmos for me it is balance. This car knows balance....my 2.5cents.....Steve

Bear said:
911 Sales figures prove how dated it is. Nobody buys them!

Agree on that the 911 is very dated in design. But I'm wondering why nobody in the US buys them, Porsche always argued that the market in the US demands them? That's what we hear here in Europe.

Regards,
Thomas

goldNSX said:
Agree on that the 911 is very dated in design. But I'm wondering why nobody in the US buys them, Porsche always argued that the market in the US demands them? That's what we hear here in Europe.

Regards,
Thomas

Saying that 'nobody buys the 911' is sarcasm. They sell like crazy, which is proof that they're not dated and anyone that thinks so is .. well, I won't say it.

Another thing, Porsche 911 sales have had a huge impact on NSX sales numbers over the years. More than any other car, the NSX intro forced Porsche, Ferrari, and others to get their act together. They did, and Honda almost completely ignored the NSX, unfortunately.

However you have to grant Porsche some credit for keeping the interest in the 911 quite high over the years... they kept updating it every 12-18 months with small changes instead of redesigning it. Even if the original design is 35 years old, the 911 looks very modern.

That is what Honda should have done, unfortunatley it did not seem to fit in their plan... :(

That is why now we are asking ourselves if the NSX feel dated or not.

gheba_nsx said:

That is why now we are asking ourselves if the NSX feel dated or not.

Speak for yourself. Question has never crossed my mind cause I've always considered the NSX to be a timeless masterpiece of design and engineering. The NSX is like fine wine (or a fine woman), it keeps getting better with age. :D

Speak for yourself

Actually I speak about the title and content of this topic... and it seems that several people agree (me included) that the NSX does not feel dated because <several reasons follow>.

This should not even be the case if Honda did its homework in the last 15 years...

gheba_nsx said:
Actually I speak about the title and content of this topic... and it seems that several people agree (me included) that the NSX does not feel dated because <several reasons follow>.

This should not even be the case if Honda did its homework in the last 15 years...

Didn't you just contradict yourself? :D

Actually not... maybe it is because English is my third language :p

a) I mean that "if Honda did its homework" we would not be here discussing wether or not the NSX feels dated.

b) My input to this discussion (Does the NSX feel dated?) is: "it does not".

gheba_nsx said:

Hmm... For me it is some of NSXs charm... That a 16 years old car still is great today :)

I'm just in love with the car, couldn't be more perfect :D

gheba_nsx said:
Actually not... maybe it is because English is my third language :p

a) I mean that "if Honda did its homework" we would not be here discussing wether or not the NSX feels dated.

b) My input to this discussion (Does the NSX feel dated?) is: "it does not".

I thought that is what you ment. Heck, I am happy to be semi literate in English since that is the only language I know......Steve

The first time I saw the NSX was in 1991, it was red with a black top and it appeared on a billboard. I was struck by balance and symmetry of the car, it left a lasting impression. Sometime later I saw one in person, a fleeting glimpse as it drove past and out of sight, my comment to my companion was: "that is the best looking sports car I have ever seen".
I now have 2 92 NSXs and when I walk into the garage I am still taken by the looks of the cars. In some cases familiarity breeds contempt; not in this case. These cars are, in my opinion, the best representation of balance and function it has been my privilege to experience. Honda has built 19,000 representations of what a "Truly Balanced Classic" sports car is. Styles will come and go but this car represents "Style" and to me its lines have endured the passage of time without becoming dated. To me it still appears as: "the best looking sports car I have ever seen".

Bob

The NSX does not feel dated, performance wise, and is very user friendly. To me, a good car design is a car that your body can communicate with the controls of the vehicle. Anyone here can close their eyes and operate any feature of the car without thinking twice. For example where is the trunk release? the hood release, the volume knob, ac controls, all are easy to operate and easy to memorize. Now for those of you with the E46 M3, can you do any of that? No, too many buttons and location of some is just awkward. The worse trunk switch has to be the RX8, I always have problem locating it where the left knee is.

Now the NSX may feel dated on the inside from the lack of gadgets (cooling or heated seats, navigation, 8 way power seats, etc, but the car just feels right when you drive it. Fits like a glove.

What the NSX needs is HID, which is on all 2002+ NSXs. If you have the older lights I definatively recommend getting it done since it is only $250. I wish it was that cheap before I upgraded all of my cars.

NSX-Tuner said:
The link below shows how good of a performer the NSX is compared to other cars. Only a few other cars are as quick. (I know I'm going to get flamed now). :D

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html

Great find; interesting numbers just for comparisons sake. According to the list any car below 14.0 in street trim is very respectable. Cars below 13 are definitely the exception and any thing below 12 has very little competition.

Admittedly we do not know how quantified or qualified these numbers are but comparing "relative" ets for the 1/4 mile, based on my experience, the averaged comparison between types of cars seems about right.

We all know somebody who has a 9 second "street driven" machine; not likely street driven in the same vain we consider the NSX street drivable. I do own an older drag car that is capable of being driven on the street. It has turned a 10.68 once upon a time but in no way would I think of driving it like I do the NSX. A specific purpose built car is much different from a true all around performer like the NSX. I bought the NSX because of the overall balance in every aspect of driving not because I needed another drag car. I have never driven a car that is as well balanced. I am continuously looking for ways to improve its performance but I never want to compromise its unique overall balance just to cover the 1320 faster.:wink:

These are just my feelings about the NSX and in no way is presented as argument against doing modification to an NSX to lower its et; heaven knows I have and I am still pursuing more dependable HP. :biggrin:

Bob

Bear said:
Saying that 'nobody buys the 911' is sarcasm. They sell like crazy, which is proof that they're not dated and anyone that thinks so is .. well, I won't say it.

Another thing, Porsche 911 sales have had a huge impact on NSX sales numbers over the years. More than any other car, the NSX intro forced Porsche, Ferrari, and others to get their act together. They did, and Honda almost completely ignored the NSX, unfortunately.

Actually you can take it further. Porsche (I don't know about '05 and '06 is still too early to tell) but for 2004, they had the highest profit margin compared to any other company (including Toyota) out there.:cool:

Back