• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Don't laugh...i dried my car with my leaf blower

Last weekend I waxed my NSX to a beautiful gloss finish. I always hate that first car wash after the waxing when, no matter how soft that 100% cotton towel, you end up with light swirl marks.. This weekend I washed the car, flooded the rinse away till the water was sheeting...then went at it with my electric Black & Decker leaf blower. It was amazing! It blew every droplet of water away in minutes with not a streak, not a swirl. I went over it with a light polishing cloth and it was the easiest and best result I have ever seen.

Not funny at all - I do the same thing all of the time, except after the leaf blower I use some spray instant detailer and a microfiber cloth. works great. :cool:

We talked about this very subject in our Meguiar's detailing class yesterday.
The Meguiar's rep said a strong leaf blower will work great. Make sure the
ground is still wet where you are blow drying so you don't kick up dust. And
DON'T use a gas powered blower.

NSXLNT said:
Not funny at all - I do the same thing all of the time, except after the leaf blower I use some spray instant detailer and a microfiber cloth. works great. :cool:

I think instant detailer and any microfiber is the way to go. In fact the few collectors I know with show cars never wash there cars..PERIOD. The one who does uses distilled water with a tank in the bed of his truck.

They also have climate controlled garages with car covers too. When they do drive on the street a little instant detailer and back under the car cover it goes.

I go one step further, I put the air gun on my 33 gal air compressor and go through and detail blow the nooks and crannies like the door handle, engine bay and under the hood.

dnyhof said:
I go one step further, I put the air gun on my 33 gal air compressor and go through and detail blow the nooks and crannies like the door handle, engine bay and under the hood.

I use my mini ShopVac to suck the water out of some areas like the tail lights, mirrors, etc. I prefer it to blowing the water all over the place.

I have used a gas powered blower to dry mine with no apparent problems.
It is more powerful than my electric one.
Why shoud one not use a gas blower?

dnyhof said:

thats exactly what I do

You know, i never tried this stuff before. There's always a first. I'll be needing to buy a leaf blower soon. Any reccomendations to which brand and model?

For $49, THIS ONE at Sears is a pretty good buy. 220 MPH/360 CFM.

They have another one rated at 195 MPH and 405 CFM for $39.88. I don't know if it's more powerful because they say peak rating on this unit and not sure what that means but they don't mention peak on the other one. The wind speed is determined by the nozzle but I think this on should be good to dry your car.

Not sure if these prices will be in effect for tomorrow's sale which features 10% off everything in Lawn & Garden.

A friend of mine on this forum recommended this to me. I have the single speed version and it works great.
I knock off about 80% of the water (crevices like the reflectors, mirrors, etc) then follow up with MF waffle weave towels. Works like a charm.
I would not use Quick Detailers for anything more than dust or you could be adding spider webs. I do use QD, but not when the car needs a wash.

nbovelle said:
I have used a gas powered blower to dry mine with no apparent problems. It is more powerful than my electric one.
Why shoud one not use a gas blower?

Per the Meguiar's discussion:
The gas blowers stand a chance of recontaminating your freshly washed car.
He also stated that you'd want to use a 200+MPH blower.

For the finer points of auto detailing I'm sure you can log on and find out more answers from Meguiar's directly:

Meguiar's

Perks of the job. I have total access to all the goodies in the recon department of the dealership I work at. We have an insane air compressor that I use to totally air dry the car every other day after work when I'm done washing her. :biggrin:

Back