• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Don't want to risk my NSX on track . . .

So I bought this. My first W2W race day in an open wheel car.

Buttonwillow in So Cal 5-19-12 with SCCA/Cal Club. Race Group #5 (open wheel cars). Qualified 2nd out of 2 cars in class, and 3rd of 19 cars in open wheel race group. Finished 2nd in class and 4th overall. Bought a CD of photos and a framed print from Vanhap, which I never do. Drove in qualifying and race on a brand new set of Goodyear Eagle stickers, after doing all my practicing over the last 4 months on scrubs. The grip was phenominal.
FMButtonwillow5-19-121.jpg

FMButtonwillow5-19-122.jpg

FMButtonwillow5-19-123.jpg

FMButtonwillow5-19-124.jpg

FMButtonwillow5-19-125.jpg

FMButtonwillow5-19-126.jpg

FMButtonwillow5-19-127.jpg

That looks amazing! What is the seating position like? Can you drive this on the street somehow like the Atom? That would be freaking cool! :D

nice... living in our dream... i once want to get myself a go kart / real race car... after factor in i need a towing vehicle and trailer, and possibly driving the towing vehicle to/from work everyday......... it remains my dream.:wink:

nice looking car. Did you consider any other open wheel cars/classes? What made you decide on FM?

nice looking car. Did you consider any other open wheel cars/classes? What made you decide on FM?
FM is cheap to buy and pretty much bullet proof, requiring less maintenance than most amatuer open wheel race cars. This car has SCCA log books going back to 1984 with a new chassis in 2000. It is so much fun to race on track compared to every modified street car I have driven in the last 9 years including my NSX.

What sort of times are you able to run in that thing?
Looks like too much fun to be legal. I saw a FM race at the last NASA track day I did at Sears Point. They were the main event. The winner, an Andretti protege, no older than 15, was lapping in the low 1:30s. Thats 20sec. quicker than my NSX with stock internals. I'd love one.

Re: Central CA Lap times

Looks like too much fun to be legal. I saw a FM race at the last NASA track day I did at Sears Point. They were the main event. The winner, an Andretti protege, no older than 15, was lapping in the low 1:30s. Thats 20sec. quicker than my NSX with stock internals. I'd love one.

The times of low 1:30's are for the Pro Mazda, the 2nd generation Formula Mazda that came out in '04. The track records for the Standard FM discussed here are:

Sears Point (now Raceway Sonoma) ALMS config. 1.35.91
Thunderhill w/ T-5 Eagles Nest) 1.46.53
Laguna 2006 (pretty sure that was after repaving) 1.28.66

These are SCCA Q times (usually but not always faster than race times). I don't believe NASA times are faster. FM track record times are about 3 seconds faster than Kip Olson's best times (which are or close to track records as well).

Re: Central CA Lap times

FM lap record with SCCA on the big track at Willow Springs is 1:20.444. That's pretty fast. :biggrin:

Richard FM #5

The times of low 1:30's are for the Pro Mazda, the 2nd generation Formula Mazda that came out in '04. The track records for the Standard FM discussed here are:

Sears Point (now Raceway Sonoma) ALMS config. 1.35.91
Thunderhill w/ T-5 Eagles Nest) 1.46.53
Laguna 2006 (pretty sure that was after repaving) 1.28.66

These are SCCA Q times (usually but not always faster than race times). I don't believe NASA times are faster. FM track record times are about 3 seconds faster than Kip Olson's best times (which are or close to track records as well).

Last edited:
Back