• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double Din Stock Look

Wow.. I have this same unit in my F250, and thanks to these pictures, I will order another one and put it in my car...

I hope SNDSOUL has another one in stock :)

Looks very good and clean. I just went today to a good local stereo shop in my area and asked them about the price and installation of the AVN2454 and showed them the pictures on the first page. I asked if they've worked on NSXs in the past and they said yes, but the cars that I saw they had there working on were a couple of Merc's and a Cadillac (the Caddy STS was getting the AVN2454 installed and it looked good in there). They said they could do it for $1899 for the deck and anywhere from $200-$300 on the install (using the original console and fiberglassing a custom look, just like the pictures shown) including the Bose Amplifier "interface" for the car so I can retain my stock speakers. At first, I thought I'd be looking at close to $3K but at that price, it's very tempting to do.

Questions for those who have it - how do movies playing on it look with the sun out in full force? Any problems with running a DVD movie and the unit gets "too hot" and the DVD wants to lock up or freeze? Does it "dim" down pretty good at night so it's not a bright light in your face or so it doesn't light up the entire cabin? I'm just trying to justify if it's worth it for me to get one or not :p

Newman said:
Looks very good and clean. I just went today to a good local stereo shop in my area and asked them about the price and installation of the AVN2454 and showed them the pictures on the first page. I asked if they've worked on NSXs in the past and they said yes, but the cars that I saw they had there working on were a couple of Merc's and a Cadillac (the Caddy STS was getting the AVN2454 installed and it looked good in there). They said they could do it for $1899 for the deck and anywhere from $200-$300 on the install (using the original console and fiberglassing a custom look, just like the pictures shown) including the Bose Amplifier "interface" for the car so I can retain my stock speakers. At first, I thought I'd be looking at close to $3K but at that price, it's very tempting to do.

Questions for those who have it - how do movies playing on it look with the sun out in full force? Any problems with running a DVD movie and the unit gets "too hot" and the DVD wants to lock up or freeze? Does it "dim" down pretty good at night so it's not a bright light in your face or so it doesn't light up the entire cabin? I'm just trying to justify if it's worth it for me to get one or not :p

I have the same setup which I also bought from Andy, mine looks close to that except I don't have the ash tray anymore. (SoS fiberglass) I only have trouble seeing it when I have the top off and the sun is beating down on the screen. The DVD has been flawless (so far) and you can set the night time brightness so that the inside of the cabin isn't so bright. With the navigation system you can set it so the background is black at night instead of white ( highly recomended). I bought the whole boat..not just the unit. So I have the quarts speakers...the Amp and Andys bass box. The only other thing, Which I mentioned in another post is that with my equiptment you CAN tell the difference between CDs and MP3s. Great setup! ( Thanks again Andy!)

Thank you for the compliment. BTW, with the roof off, there is no nav system that is clearly visible from any company. You can still see the screen with some effort and better yet, you can use the voice prompts to guide you without ever taking your eyes off the road.

AVN double dins navs are in stock. For assistance call 813-882-8477.

Andy Buzz
Buzz-Off Alarms
Maximum Audio
Tampa, FL

Newman said:

:p

I'm also in So. Cal. Please let me know if had done this, I would like to see it in person and please give me the shops name, my wanted over 3K for this set up :frown: :frown: :frown:

when is the AVN 5495 coming out?

they had it at CES, 30GB HDD, cleaner interface, couple other tiings.

ps. hows the diff view modes, i like the pioneer avic n1 diff modes

Yeah, I was wondering about the AVN 5495, too. I saw it advertised in a magazine, but could not find it at Eclipse's web-site. I guess it's just a matter of time.

So what is involved with the install?

Seems to require some trimming of the stock console.
Can the stock speakers be used with this unit? Is the GPS antenna layed out somewhere?

SPA_S2000 said:
So what is involved with the install?

Seems to require some trimming of the stock console.
Can the stock speakers be used with this unit? Is the GPS antenna layed out somewhere?

It's not just trimming of the center console...

The first challenge is getting the unit mounted in the right position. It is trial and error and creating brackets that will hold the stereo in place. Trial and error to mount the unit so as to not hinder the opening of the ashtray and to make the unit sit where you want it to sit.

The second challenge is finishing of the console trim. Not only do you have to cut the trim to enlarge it, you will need to fill in spots where it was cut out from the factory (that's all of course if you use the original console trim which is the way I would do it). Then you have to build walls around the cutout so when the unit opens or depending on how you mount the unit, it doesn't look ugly on the sides. Then you have to do the fine detail work with filler. This takes a few hours sanding and using guide coats to ensure a smooth finish. If you have it professionally painted it will last longer. I have to refinish mine again and this time around I will have it painted by a body shop. In addition, I'm going to put felt or something on the vent trim to protect the top part of the console trim as that always seems to dig into the finish.

You can flush mount it like the OP or recess it like I did. I like it recessed since it helps with the glare you can keep that top beveled edge to really give it that factory look.

*Edited with a better picture*
9919first_install_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Back