• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN video head unit thread

The door will move, just not open or close. :) The problem is that the door has a slightly upward motion when moving up and it hits the bottom of the stereo. So you either have the ashtray door open all the time, or closed all the time. Those are your two choices. The other choice you have is to completely re-engineer the door so that it folds down in case you wanted to put something in the ashtray or access the lighter socket. Probably wouldn't be too hard for a crafty installer to do this either.

I solved this but it took a bit of work:

Prime004.JPG

A picture of the install.
Prime006.JPG

Ash tray door closed....
Prime007.JPG

Ash tray door open.

Shaved about 1/8" off the top bracket of the SOS mount (so I could mount the IVA-W200 as high as possible without hitting the CCU.) Shaved the bottom of the CCU so the stereo wouldn't push it up. Also shaved the ash tray door cover to half of it's original thickness and beveled the top edge (after peeling the electro-plating off of course). Removed about 1/8" off the top of the ash tray door (the black part the cover screws to) and had to shorten the black metal housing that goes around the back of the ash tray assembly by about 3/16". Then I had to elongate the mounting holes for the ashtray so I could mount it just a little lower on the back of the center console. The ash tray door still barely touches the bottom of the IVA-W200 when you open it but I put some felt tape on the bottom of the Alpine so the ash tray cover won't get scratched.

Here's a link to the entire install for those that are interested...
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104260

I solved this but it took a bit of work:

Prime004.JPG

A picture of the install.
Prime006.JPG

Ash tray door closed....
Prime007.JPG

Ash tray door open.

Shaved about 1/8" off the top bracket of the SOS mount (so I could mount the IVA-W200 as high as possible without hitting the CCU.) Shaved the bottom of the CCU so the stereo wouldn't push it up. Also shaved the ash tray door cover to half of it's original thickness and beveled the top edge (after peeling the electro-plating off of course). Removed about 1/8" off the top of the ash tray door (the black part the cover screws to) and had to shorten the black metal housing that goes around the back of the ash tray assembly by about 3/16". Then I had to elongate the mounting holes for the ashtray so I could mount it just a little lower on the back of the center console. The ash tray door still barely touches the bottom of the IVA-W200 when you open it but I put some felt tape on the bottom of the Alpine so the ash tray cover won't get scratched.

Here's a link to the entire install for those that are interested...

Wow that is incredible! Does the front face of the head unit flip down? I want a Dual Din Alpine but with no moving parts! Thanks great work! :eek:

Wow that is incredible! Does the front face of the head unit flip down? I want a Dual Din Alpine but with no moving parts! Thanks great work! :eek:

Thanks for the kind words.

The front face folds down. I don't think Alpine makes a double DIN that has no moving parts. ? The top monitor is an Alpine TME-M760 and I'm really impressed with the quality. Even in direct sunlight you can clearly see the picture which is more than I can say for the lower IVA-W200. The glare on the IVA is atrocious. The windshield on the NSX is just too wide/low and lets too much light in. Plus the screen always has fingerprints all over it from the touch screen. I love the look of the Doulble DIN in the console but it would almost be worthless without the upper monitor in the NAV POD.

More details on the system here:

If you want the ash tray door to open and close, you'll have to do some modifications like I did. Rich at HCA also confirmed that his customers were having the same issues and he was going to try to fix the issue for his customers. I'm not sure if he used my solution or came up with one of his own.

I was intrigued by the link advertising these pioneer units and did a search and it seems the consensus is that these units take too long to load up.

Deltron
When will yours be installed? I would like to get some feedback from your impressions.
Thanks

I was intrigued by the link advertising these pioneer units and did a search and it seems the consensus is that these units take too long to load up.

Deltron
When will yours be installed? I would like to get some feedback from your impressions.
Thanks

I've had 2 other AVICs in the past. I never noticed any excessive load times. SoS should be able to install it along with a new center console within the next few weeks. I'll definitely share my feedback.

Deltron
Thanks

I installed the F900BT in an Altima a few weeks ago. The boot time is very long, excessively long IMO. It runs Windows CE and the processor isn't the fastest (I wish they would use the Intel Atom). When you install the HD radio, sirius, steering wheel control box, and things like that, you get a huge bundle of wires resembling the Beijing birds nest olympic stadium.

The first firmware release was awful. They fixed most of the issues with the update. Still users are complaining about other things. Best bet is to read up on avic411.com

ive done 2 90's and 3 700's. im an pioneer fan....until now. these new units are poop. they have an impressive spec sheet and fail oh-so miserably to produce. the load times are ridiculous, and even once its up and running its sluggish as hell. i wont even get into the rest. you can read all the mess on avic411.com

i think they seriously shot themselves in the foot when they dropped the D3 for these units. im glad i kept mine.

After a few months of reconstruction i finally got the double din fitment perfect. well not me but some help from here and there. I know all these thanks may seem unnecessary but when someone goes above and beyond for me, i think a simple thank you shows a great deal of appreciation.
-I do have to thank Bradley (Malibu Rapper) for his expertise, help and harness. His work is neat and precise. He made a plug and play harness for direct connection to the Kenwood DNX5120. I a still using the factory amps and speakers with no issues.
- Thanks to Rich at Highline Car Audio for making/painting my double din and door switches. Real pleasure to deal with. Thanks for putting up with my expediting.
_ Thank to Joe (pbassjo) for helping me modify some parts here and there to get the best optimal fitment. Joe is always helpful to me whenever or whatever i need done to the NSX. Thanks for the ride too. Very tempting Joe :frown:
Well here are some pics from my Blackberry. I had the ashtray removed and in its place Rich made a pocket with the factory felt look. Paint was a satin semi gloss black finish.
IMG00344-1.jpg

IMG00345.jpg

IMG00346.jpg

IMG00343.jpg

Last edited:
Looks flush and nicely integrated. Versace shades case in your passenger footwell? :biggrin:

Anybody know where/which are some good screen protectors for these double dins? My DNX8120 looks fingerprinted and dusty by the end of everyday of use... :frown:

Ooo I love that pocket! Does HCA offer this option?

very nice installation... I'd have to relocate the cigarette lighter for the V1 though.

Ooo I love that pocket! Does HCA offer this option?

very nice installation... I'd have to relocate the cigarette lighter for the V1 though.

you would have to ask Rich, i am sure he can do something about it. plenty of room to place a cig lighter somewhere. pictures seem a little fuzzy. The pocket foes all the way down to where the ashtray sits on so its fairly deep and very helpful for storing things within range without having to open and close the center armrest or glove box.

Very nice!

I created the same pocket for mine about 6 months back and wonder what I even did without it!

Hey guys-

Just a couple of questions regading installation of double DIN aftermarket unit. Whether I decide to install Pioneer or Kenwood Nav unit, how does the OEM CD Changer come into play? My gut feeling is that it probably won't work, but any advice would be great since I would still like to have a changer even if I have to replace it.

Hey guys-

Just a couple of questions regading installation of double DIN aftermarket unit. Whether I decide to install Pioneer or Kenwood Nav unit, how does the OEM CD Changer come into play? My gut feeling is that it probably won't work, but any advice would be great since I would still like to have a changer even if I have to replace it.

it doesnt. live in the now. get an ipod :D

it doesnt. live in the now. get an ipod :D

I don't understand how some people still want to hold on to their CD's. Even before iPod interfaces and compatible headunits were out, I refused to lug around any CD's, much less get one of those sunvisor CD holders. As soon as the first MP3 player capable headunits came out, I went out and bought one. I loaded as many songs as I could cram into that CD-R, and I was set. Maybe I would have a second CD-R with more music but that was it.

so which double dins will ALLOW the cig lighter cover to still open and close???

I guess it depends--if you get/make a custom bracket, you can make just about any DD unit fit with a custom cutout of your dash while using the ashtray cover, as shown in previous posts and other threads. My Kenwood DNX8120 was successfully mounted this way. If you're referring to mounting with the SOS bracket, well, SOS themselves are not making any guarantees about having the cover be able to open and close. But if any units are to fit, look for the ones with the smaller overall screen size (Pioneer D3, Lower model Kenwoods), etc.

im planning on using the sos bracket.

so will i be ok using screens smaller than 7"?

if thats the case, what is considered by nsxprime as the "best" screen less than 7" that has navi, dvd, ipod?

im planning on using the sos bracket.

so will i be ok using screens smaller than 7"?

if thats the case, what is considered by nsxprime as the "best" screen less than 7" that has navi, dvd, ipod?

No guarantee that even a smaller one fits without some modification is what I'm saying.

Your options for units are scattered all throughout this thread. Its pretty much based on your preference as to what interface suits you and functionality. They all do the same thing, just in different ways. I like the Kenwood units because of their ipod interface, integrated garmin navigation, good bluetooth (for me), and easy e-brake bypass method...

Back