• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN video head unit thread

If you already have a touchscreen, and you don't mind modding/hacking it, you can do this. As long as the touchscreen has a 4-wire ribbon, the Mimics module will work with your iDevice. As for Android support, I think they are still working on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTqCju0iwFM&feature=player_embedded#!
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/oTqCju0iwFM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice work.

I don't know if you already saw my other thread. See problem with this is that not all apps will work in landscape mode. Like Pandora even on your demo... sits sideways. How much was the mimics module and what are the issues you've had so far? You have to jailbreak the phone too, don't you?

I've thought a lot about this and I think I've come to the conclusion that using a screen for display only and not control makes more sense so long as you can mount the phone where the radio is cleanly. O'car now allows that.

Last edited:
Nice work.

I don't know if you already saw my other thread. See problem with this is that not all apps will work in landscape mode. Like Pandora even on your demo... sits sideways. How much was the mimics module and what are the issues you've had so far? You have to jailbreak the phone too, don't you?

I've thought a lot about this and I think I've come to the conclusion that using a screen for display only and not control makes more sense so long as you can mount the phone where the radio is cleanly. O'car now allows that.

That's not my install, but I hear what you're saying. Yes, you need to jailbreak your device, which is not difficult to do. I have my iPhone connected to the video input on my Kenwood to display TomTom navigation mostly. I still have to control it from the phone itself, but for now it's good enough. I've seen the O'car and it looks pretty cool too. Hopefully we get more integration from various manufacturers in the near future.

That's not my install, but I hear what you're saying. Yes, you need to jailbreak your device, which is not difficult to do. I have my iPhone connected to the video input on my Kenwood to display TomTom navigation mostly. I still have to control it from the phone itself, but for now it's good enough. I've seen the O'car and it looks pretty cool too. Hopefully we get more integration from various manufacturers in the near future.

You have the tom tom app? How does that work with the ipod or another app that plays audio? which iphone do you have?

When you launch tomtom does it kill everything else (including your ipod for example)?

This is the dilemma on my other thread... multi-tasking...

You have the tom tom app? How does that work with the ipod or another app that plays audio? which iphone do you have?

When you launch tomtom does it kill everything else (including your ipod for example)?

This is the dilemma on my other thread... multi-tasking...

music still plays in the background wether it's the iPod player, Pandora, etc.. In fact, TomTom has built in controls for music playback from the iPod player. When I switch to another app or answer a call, TomTom still runs in the background, and you can switch back to TomTom during a call. I have the iPhone 4.

I received the same comment for my ipad as I'm taking a dump as we speak. :cool:

Back on sub-topic, I don't think it's worth the trouble now to permanently install any tablet in our cars or any other car. Technology advances far too quick and I doubt there will be a universal size for tablets, at least not anytime soon. Head units' sizes, on the other hand, are far more standardized (just give and take 5% on dimensions).

Upgrading your head units and phones would be more practical.

I used to think the same way, but I think I've changed directions on this matter. I rather not hack up a console for a double din, or buy a new one ready made. I have grown to like the fit and finish of the OEM, even with the tape deck. This is mostly because I love the color, it is so hard to replicate, and a double din doesn't ever quite look right.

But you can add the Honda navpod which is OEM, and most 7" tablets will fit. The only other thing you need a GROM unit. I haven't tested it yet but the GROM unit has some nice features. It will connect and charge a tablet through USB. This allows music connectivity and control from the stock headunit, and your tablet will always be charged. The tablet will also have bluetooth, so you can monitor your ODBII with a bluetooth adapter and Torque Pro and the gauges you want in real time. The HTC Flyer has Locations, which is basically a downloaded and offline roadmap/GPS. No need for connectivity for GPS ability. If you want to get crazy, you have WiFi or even crazier a dedicated 3g connection if you want other options. And lastly, you can watch movies from it, or anything you want actually.

With the current state of things, yeah, there is always new tech around the corner, but this is for your car. What else do you really want? The tech exists now, and really doesn't need to be updated every 3 months.

As far as the install is concerned, it might be a little bit tricky to mount with connectors. Dismantling the tablet is probably the way to go for easy fitment, but there are a lot of tear down sites so you can see the internals. The power button might be slightly tricky too, but I suspect a tiny hole with an inserted physical button on the navpod will be enough.

About to order a GROM soon to test out the configurations.

Here's a picture of my alpine double din. Been pretty happy with it so far.

10721DSC00128.JPG

This is a very clean fit and finish. Congrats on having a top notch finished product! Hope my installer gets the finish as nice as yours!!

I am having the kenwood 9980 hd installed in my car. The shop has the car around 4 week now to get it just right.

This is a very clean fit and finish. Congrats on having a top notch finished product! Hope my installer gets the finish as nice as yours!!

I am having the kenwood 9980 hd installed in my car. The shop has the car around 4 week now to get it just right.

4 weeks? I hope youre getting more than just the indash installed.

How do you like the kenwood 9980hd? I wanted that one but my stereo shop said that kenwood has slow software and after researching online, the reviews confirmed the slow software issue, so I went with the pioneer instead.

^ The Pioneer did not offer the reverse tilt option so kenwood was an easy choice. I did not notice the software being slow if so I may have to slow down :biggrin: The last Pioneer I had I bought at Walmart for my old ski boat.
I am so glad to finally ditch the factory system.

The power button might be slightly tricky too, but I suspect a tiny hole with an inserted physical button on the navpod will be enough.

Theres a way to have ipads turn on and off with the car. No power button. I think I posted a video. You may want to see if there is for a galaxy. Turning it on everytime you get in the car is a PITA.

The x930BT is on amazong right now for $598 and qualifies for the $100 rebate.. so $498. I think I am goign to get it.

Back