• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Down Force intake Scoop.. Wow!

Re: Down Force intake SCOOP..WOW!!

martin said:
Hi

Well I seldom drive in the rain. If I am out driving and it suddenly starts to rain I have no choice. But I usually take my baby out only in the dry.

However I have been known to take vacations to lets say Germany where they have these Autobahns. Going down there doing 100mph in the rain is often the case. :rolleyes:

Regards
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Martin
Well, in that case I don't know what to say!!! back to OEM..he!he! :)
but I had friend used the same scoop in the rain with NO problem.

Last edited:

I have the Cantrell ACIS along with a few other goodies. Ive driven in some pretty bad storms but have never had a problem. I dont drive it in the rain but if the rain begins while Im already out; I wont start a voyage in the rain.

Re: drilling holes will cause problems?

Osiris_x11 said:
hmmm... Drilling holes into the scoop would compromise air-flow, or that would be insignificant? I drive my NSX regularly, and at times I do get caught in some massive downpours even on the highways (major splashing, etc). :confused:

Thanks

I am curious about this as well.

xsn said:
I don't buy products to test them. I buy products that are proven by testing.

It is just your lost, you don't even know what you are missing out.

It has already been proven time after time again. This look like same exact copy as Cantrell AIS, there are 100s of happy cantrell AIS users including myself. I can see why people not getting one when it was $300, but at $100 it is simply no brainer imho.

There are many exotic cars that also have intake scoop, if Diablo, Ferrari owners are not worrying rain getting into their air scoop. You got nothing to worry about NSX's tiny intake opening.

nsxsupra said:

It has already been proven time after time again. This look like same exact copy as Cantrell AIS, there are 100s of happy cantrell AIS users including myself. I can see why people not getting one when it was $300, but at $100 it is simply no brainer imho.

There are many exotic cars that also have intake scoop, if Diablo, Ferrari owners are not worrying rain getting into their air scoop. You got nothing to worry about NSX's tiny intake opening.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Good point!

nsxsupra said:

you mean the exotic owners who put 5K miles on their car in 8 years of ownership? You can't possibly mean those guys?

xsn said:
Yes that is the reason I am interested in it as well. I am just trying to make sure I understand what is included since someone was talking about $/hp, but the only dynos I have seen included the UNI filter.
I would recommend you use the K&N filter , works the same but proven.

"I don't buy products to test them. I buy products that are proven by testing."

-Aaron

sjones said:
you mean the exotic owners who put 5K miles on their car in 8 years of ownership? You can't possibly mean those guys?
ha!ha! that's funny!

nsxsupra said:

What you replied to doesn't even really make sense. It's my loss because I was trying to clarify if the scoop came with the filter or not since someone was talking about $/HP benefit, and the only dyno results I've seen showing HP gains were with intake AND filter, not just intake? OK. I am not really interested in the intake for HP, though if it is a clone of the Cantrell intake and came with the filter and there was a few HP gain it would be a really great buy! Which is why I was asking.

I think you are really trying to say it's my loss and I don't even know what I'm missing because I won't buy this thing just to test it? That is just absurd. I'm just asking if it really is the same as the Cantrell intake or not. If it is, I know I want one. If not, I'll wait to hear more reviews.

This look like same exact copy as Cantrell AIS, there are 100s of happy cantrell AIS users including myself. I can see why people not getting one when it was $300, but at $100 it is simply no brainer imho.

You're right, it does look similar. Since I know I like the Cantrell intake, and there are many people satisfied with that part, maybe that is why I have asked FIVE TIMES now whether this is really a clone of the Cantrell unit or not, so I know for sure if it is really the design I am interested in!

1. "So this basically a copy of the Cantrell intake for 1/3 the cost, is that right?"

2. "I am just curious if this was a 1/3 price copy of the Cantrell unit. Is it or is it not? "

3. "I'm trying to find out exactly what the product is. Is it a clone of the one SOS sells for $300? It appears to be but I want to be sure before I consider buying it."

4. "Why won't you just answer my question about whether this is a copy of the Cantrell intake?"

5. "If it's a direct copy of the Cantrell unit for $100 I probably will order one because I know most people are happy with that product. If not then I will wait to make sure the concensus on this product is also positive before I consider ordering."

You wouldn't think this would be such a difficult question.

Looks to me, rain is not a problem for this product. But, I wonder how about machine/ public car wash. I understand that many NSX owners prefer to wash their car by them self. For me its impossible since I live in a community where they prohibit people to wash their car.

Also, does it mean that I can't use the protection wall above the rear tires anymore?

I send you an email.

xsn said:
You're right, it does look similar. Since I know I like the Cantrell intake, and there are many people satisfied with that part, maybe that is why I have asked FIVE TIMES now whether this is really a clone of the Cantrell unit or not, so I know for sure if it is really the design I am interested in!

My question has now been answered via PM. I guess it is some kind of big secret. Whatever. I now know what I was looking to find out this whole time. Thanks, end of discussion on my part.

xsn said:
My question has now been answered via PM. I guess it is some kind of big secret. Whatever. I now know what I was looking to find out this whole time. Thanks, end of discussion on my part.

It is a BIG SECRET because what they have done is essentially illegal and copyright infringment. You cannot steal a design that someone else spent time creating; start making EXACT duplicates and sell them as your own for a third of the price. It is illegal and immorral. Saving money is great, stealing product designs is not!! That is why they cannot say that it is an exact copy of the Cantrell AIS on this thread.

Disclosure: I have nothing to do with SOS, I just see this as an injustice to an otherwise honest and respectful business. :mad:

SNDSOUL said:
It is a BIG SECRET because what they have done is essentially illegal and copyright infringment. You cannot steal a design that someone else spent time creating; start making EXACT duplicates and sell them as your own for a third of the price. It is illegal and immorral. Saving money is great, stealing product designs is not!! That is why they cannot say that it is an exact copy of the Cantrell AIS on this thread.
----------------------------------------------------------------
OK...frist of all you can't copyright an Items or product! copyright is for pictures, logo and name. I think what you are trying to say is patent. and you must be a real DUMP @$$ to do a patent on someting that you only sell about 200 unit at 300.00 . The patent alone will cost you over $2000 + 2 year wait and last only 15 years after that any one can pull your patent out to copy it. Major car company don't patent their parts...

Last edited:

SNDSOUL said:
I have nothing to do with SOS, I just see this as an injustice to an otherwise honest and respectful business. :mad:
------------------------------------------------------------
Hey SNDSOUL, please drop honda company an email telling them that Procar is copying their NSX and NSX-R parts
SOS for copying there NSX-R Shift Knob
Cantrell for their NSX-R hood
You will have more chance of JUSTICE on OEM parts than after market parts.:rolleyes:

Zero-Cool said:
SNDSOUL said:
----------------------------------------------------------------
OK...frist of all you can't copyright an Items or product! copyright is for pictures, logo and name. I think what you are trying to say is patent. and you must be a real DAMN @$# to do a patent on someting that you only sell about 200 unit at 300.00 . The patent alone will cost you over $2000 + 2 year wait and last only 15 years after that any one can pull your patent out to copy it. Major car company don't patent their parts...... I think what you say is funny!!!! you don't know what you are talking about!!!

You're right, its a patent, but Downforce IS stealing Cantrell's design. You're also right that I am not an expert on patent applications, but Downforce is still stealing Cantrell's design. Either way it's none of my business, I dont have anything to do with either company. I am simply typing my opinion.

SNDSOUL said:
You're right, its a patent, but Downforce IS stealing Cantrell's design. You're also right that I am not an expert on patent applications, but Downforce is still stealing Cantrell's design. Either way it's none of my business, I dont have anything to do with either company. I am simply typing my opinion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
This is NOT a Cantrell SOUL design..its also was adopt by Dali Racing on their scoop , and some other Japanese tunner too.

Zero-Cool said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
This is NOT a Cantrell SOUL design..its also was adopt by Dali Racing on their scoop , and some other Japanese tunner.

OK, I really dont care, like I said already, it is just MY opinion. Give it a rest, you'll still sell plenty. No one cares that its a copy. Good luck with their product :cool:

Wow, this became interesting on Copies and Infrigments and everyone throwing their .02 cents in. While I'm rarely on this board and I do agree with twhat Zero and Snd is saying, some of you guys need to open your eyes and see the "real" light of this car industry. Don't you know that you can EASILY go to yahoo.japan auctions and see, that MOST if not ALL Cantrell products are all copies of parts? Their front splitter they made is a COPY of a japan CF front lip.Their AIS is a copy from the same place who made the splitter, same as CF Airbox, Same Design.. Im not knocking SOS or Cantrell, but , this whole industry is all about "copies" now and getting the cost cheaper. Look on Ebay, Greddy Exahsut manifolds for 2jz-gte supras selling for $400.00 a copy. Hell, look at all those Computer Companies making copies of Little Accessories for youer computer to cut the cost cheaper for us regular joe's isntead of buyign the name brand stuff. Wether you want to embrace the copy or pay the big bucks for the real one is totally up to you.

Love it or not, we live in a world full of copies.

If it serves its purpose and is Functional as the original, then why pay more on a real one, unless you have money to burn....
Just my .02

take care

chris

No wonder! Someone was overlooking over my shoulder today, trying to copy my test!!! hehehe.

Look at Microsoft. They are who they are today because they copied/stole ideas and design from others.

xsn said:
I think you are really trying to say it's my loss and I don't even know what I'm missing because I won't buy this thing just to test it? That is just absurd.

Frankly I don't get a cent wealthier by arguing. I am just a car guy, I love cars, I swear by this item, as it has greatly enhanced my NSX onwership experience.

Please don't take it personal. I think you are misunderstanding my post. My point is that you are missing out for not having this item. You do not need to buy to test it out. It is already been proven. It is simply one of the best mod you can buy for nsx. I paid $300 for my, and I think it worth every single penny.

xsn said:
1. "So this basically a copy of the Cantrell intake for 1/3 the cost, is that right?"

2. "I am just curious if this was a 1/3 price copy of the Cantrell unit. Is it or is it not? "

3. "I'm trying to find out exactly what the product is. Is it a clone of the one SOS sells for $300? It appears to be but I want to be sure before I consider buying it."

4. "Why won't you just answer my question about whether this is a copy of the Cantrell intake?"

5. "If it's a direct copy of the Cantrell unit for $100 I probably will order one because I know most people are happy with that product. If not then I will wait to make sure the concensus on this product is also positive before I consider ordering."

Well, quite obiviously if you can't tell by the pics, you might have a problem, there is really no rocket science behind it, it is really not that hard for some to take the Cantrell AIS, Dali AIS and make a mold out if it. Exact 100% replica.

So answers to your questions
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. because it is too obvious, nonsense imho
5. yes

As the the HP/$ ratio, I don't see why you need to be this critical, add $50 Uni Filter. It is still only $150. Still great HP/$ ratio. Even without Uni filter, you will still get the sound benifit.

Cantell AIS, Dali AIS, Downforce AIS, $100 or $300, they are all worth every penny.

Last edited:

sjones said:

Exactly what I meant :smile: . Realisticly there are plenty of 20k or higher exotics. How often do you hear exotics having problem with water getting into their huge intake?

There are plenty of nsx owner who barely put on 5 miles per day.
100s of nsx owners have cantrell ais for years. I am fairly sure no nsx owner has posted about having problems driving in the rain due to AIS.

Fakin' da funk...

SNDSOUL said:
... but Downforce IS stealing Cantrell's design...
but Downforce is still stealing Cantrell's design...

This is absolutely 100% false. This intake_scoop is NOT Cantrell's design. So, Downforce.biz did not steal Cantrell's design. The intake_scoop is not and never was Cantrell's design. Cantrell's AIS is a fine part, but it's not an original. . . :rolleyes:

Buying/obtaining a Cantrell AIS...
+
Copying the Cantrell AIS & then fabricating copies for sale...

UNETHICAL (absolutely no argument w/ this simple scenario)

* Is that what happened? Who knows.
* Is making public accusations a fair thing to do? No.
* Is the Cantrell AIS an original part? No.

If someone wants to play Elliot Ness and begin an aftermarket-parts "shakedown", bring the original JDM fabricators into the mix. All or most of the parts we in the US & greater NSX community use are bastardized from JDM fabricators whether it's SOS, Dali Racing, formerly RM_Racing, Backyard Special, Erubuni, Mom & Pop's Tuning, or UncleTom's shoppe.

:: Hands everyone leftover cake from his b'day party :: :biggrin:

Re: Fakin' da funk...

Osiris_x11 said:
This is absolutely 100% false. This intake_scoop is NOT Cantrell's design. So, Downforce.biz did not steal Cantrell's design. The intake_scoop is not and never was Cantrell's design. Cantrell's AIS is a fine part, but it's not an original. . . :rolleyes:

Buying/obtaining a Cantrell AIS...
+
Copying the Cantrell AIS & then fabricating copies for sale...

UNETHICAL (absolutely no argument w/ this simple scenario)

* Is that what happened? Who knows.
* Is making public accusations a fair thing to do? No.
* Is the Cantrell AIS an original part? No.

If someone wants to play Elliot Ness and begin an aftermarket-parts "shakedown", bring the original JDM fabricators into the mix. All or most of the parts we in the US & greater NSX community use are bastardized from JDM fabricators whether it's SOS, Dali Racing, formerly RM_Racing, Backyard Special, Erubuni, Mom & Pop's Tuning, or UncleTom's shoppe.

:: Hands everyone leftover cake from his b'day party :: :biggrin:

Ok, I get it, copy all you want, but I will say this. I have been on NSX prime since early 2000 and nobody offered anything like the Cantrell AIS until SOS began selling it. I have been very familiar with nsxfreak.com, topend, and gt-rom, takaria.com, ect. for years and I never saw a part like that until Cantrell released it. I'm not saying Cantrell didnt copy it from some other company, just if they did, it wasnt so blatant. :cool:

BTW, who's design was it b/c in Japan they sell it as a Taitec AIS made by Cantrell??http://www.gt-rom.net/gtrom/ais/ais.htm

Re: Fakin' da funk...

I can't believe this $100 part created so much arguments.

Everything is copied and improved these days. Competition is good. That's just fact of life.

Going back to the scoop. It is only $100 and it does not take a rocket scientist to figure how this thing works comparing to the AIS'.

Buy the damn thing. If you don't like it, either bury it in the garage or sell it here.

Or just don't buy it and not worry about it.

Back