• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Downforce hood owners?

I had to replace the Procar hood that came with my car because it had been warped when the previous owner had it painted and so never fit right.

I ended up grabbing the last of Detlefs NA1 proto hoods b/c I really love the Procar CF.

That said, I would have been really interested in that one currently listed in the marketplace if I hadnt already grabbed the CF the day before.

The modified aluminum hoods have the advantage of being original OEM, no questions at all re: hood pins, no problems with painting (not everyone does a great job painting CF), etc.

Disadvantage is they're heavier obviously and its a sort of frankenstein thing... So on resale of the car some day, it's not like you can say "Procar NSX-R hood original cost a zillion dollars" because it is a one off modified thing. Of course that might not matter if you either never plan to sell or would just return to stock anyway.

They still make NA1 R hood. If you want one, they will pump one out in two weeks for you.

2 Weeks I got mine not log ago took over 2 months and it wasn;t new from with i know they are working on new NA1 but not sure when it'll be ready .good luck i like my DF NA1 hood had to paint beasue it had some marks on it.

ravi

They still make NA1 R hood. If you want one, they will pump one out in two weeks for you.

Thats an interesting statement. I'm still waiting for a replacement hood for the deal that you and I did over a year ago. I identified a fitment issue immediately upon install and told Peter and Sam about it. I was told that they would form another for me. The last time that I requested an update was around NSXPO time. I've yet to get a response and Peter has always been email-responsive.

Please remember that at the time I also bought a CF R wing, radiator shroud, front lip undertray, battery undertray, CF DF-R side vents, RWG, rear license bezel and CF interior sill covers. I've been nothing but patient (probably too much so) and nothing (until now I guess) but complimentary of the brand. Please see my threads here on Prime expressing my enjoyment of their other parts. They do make nice stuff, all the other stuff on my car pops.

As supportive of the brand that I have been, I would think that if they could pump one out in two weeks that I would have one. I would have 26 or so in my garage. I understand that it is challenging to form an NSX hood; lots of complex angles, curves, etc. So I'm sure that they can't just pump one out in two weeks. But certainly in a year? :confused:

Thats an interesting statement. I'm still waiting for a replacement hood for the deal that you and I did over a year ago. I identified a fitment issue immediately upon install and told Peter and Sam about it. I was told that they would form another for me. The last time that I requested an update was around NSXPO time. I've yet to get a response and Peter has always been email-responsive.

Please remember that at the time I also bought a CF R wing, radiator shroud, front lip undertray, battery undertray, CF DF-R side vents, RWG, rear license bezel and CF interior sill covers. I've been nothing but patient (probably too much so) and nothing (until now I guess) but complimentary of the brand. Please see my threads here on Prime expressing my enjoyment of their other parts. They do make nice stuff, all the other stuff on my car pops.

As supportive of the brand that I have been, I would think that if they could pump one out in two weeks that I would have one. I would have 26 or so in my garage. I understand that it is challenging to form an NSX hood; lots of complex angles, curves, etc. So I'm sure that they can't just pump one out in two weeks. But certainly in a year? :confused:

I think you have been too patient, if he promised you a new hood he could have delivered. He didn't. :mad:

:confused:

This guy probably got "your" hood, read post #89. :eek:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142618&page=3

Interesting. I was told the deal was complete - A year ago. You should have contacted me. I'm going to give them a visit soon, last time I was there was before Christmas and I was under the impression they have caught up with everything after shuffling the staffs due to the economy. I'll keep you posted after my visit.

Last edited:
Well I'm gonna bite the bullet next week and call Peter back. I'm not good at waiting for parts:rolleyes: but hopefully 2 weeks is all it takes. I'm sick that I stalled on the alum. hood. I just can't get past that.:redface:

Well I'm gonna bite the bullet next week and call Peter back. I'm not good at waiting for parts:rolleyes: but hopefully 2 weeks is all it takes. I'm sick that I stalled on the alum. hood. I just can't get past that.:redface:

Here you go.

attachment.php

http://nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141962&highlight=hood

I have a CF NSX-R hood from Downforce and I'm very pleased with the results. I suggest that if you order one ask Peter not to drill the mounting holes, then you can get your shop to aline it to your car and then drill the hole on site that way you know it is not going to have fitment issues. I had Mike at MV designz do the install and it was perfect. :)
you can see pics on my thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139488

Last edited:
Interesting. I was told the deal was complete - A year ago. You should have contacted me. I'm going to give them a visit soon, last time I was there was before Christmas and I was under the impression they have caught up with everything after shuffling the staffs due to the economy. I'll keep you posted after my visit.

LMAOL Yeah, Right:rolleyes:!!! Still selling tickets to the show huh Vance?...and giving out Timelines as 2 weeks when you havent been to DF since Dec. So pretty much you would of screwed another customer who would of ordered thinking 2 weeks, IF OTHERS here didnt step up with the Honest truth and say OTHERWISE. What a salesman. VAnce is the same guy who would argue with EVERYONE on how PERFECT the Hood fits. Even though I can name 5 people on prime who I dont even know and their problems with the fitment. But Vance will tell you it FITS perfect Still:rolleyes:

OP- I would talk to other Owners about it and Take their advice, whichever way it is, good or bad. and not Vance as he will say whatever to sell another product.

Last edited:
LMAOL Yeah, Right:rolleyes:!!! Still selling tickets to the show huh Vance?...and giving out Timelines as 2 weeks when you havent been to DF since Dec. So pretty much you would of screwed another customer who would of ordered thinking 2 weeks, IF OTHERS here didnt step up with the Honest truth and say OTHERWISE. What a salesman. VAnce is the same guy who would argue with EVERYONE on how PERFECT the Hood fits. Even though I can name 5 people on prime who I dont even know and their problems with the fitment. But Vance will tell you it FITS perfect Still:rolleyes:

OP- I would talk to other Owners about it and Take their advice, whichever way it is, good or bad. and not Vance as he will say whatever to sell another product.

I bought one from DF and got a replacement. Excellent service and the best quality, no doubt about it.
However, the replacement still has problem. Unless, one is willing to bring it to the body shop to alter the fenders and other stuff to make it perfect. I understand the complexity and it is not easy to make one that would fit perfectly on every NSX. Some would turn out perfectly, others need to some modifications. It is like rolling the dice.

I just learned to ignore it.

P.S. I will buy more stuff from DF - good service , but i will have to wait when they are on sale:biggrin:

Last edited:
I think I'll wait a bit. I do have a few DF products and am quite happy with them. I think 2 weeks is an unrealistic possibilty with everything else they have going on right now.

This guy probably got "your" hood, read post #89. :eek:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142618&page=3

LOL!

I suggest that if you order one ask Peter not to drill the mounting holes, then you can get your shop to aline it to your car and then drill the hole on site that way you know it is not going to have fitment issues.

The best body guy in town could not fix the arc in the hood. It starts flush in the front and ends flush in the back but the arc is about 1/4" off above the tire as you can see in the photo below. Not drilling the holes would not help this issue as it is in the forming. The driver's side has the same gap in the rear but the fender arc is consistent with the hood so the issue is solely with the passenger's side.

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

I can live with the gap at the rear of the hood but the arc causes me concern. At speed I am concerned that air could enter and lift the hood. I track occasionally and who knows what will happen to the hood at 130MPH +. I know, get hood pins but I'd rather have a panel that fits. And while you can realign fenders to get better fits on the side gaps, again and especially for the price- shouldn't fitment be the same as OEM? If I wanted less I would have spent $500 on a different hood from another manufacturer. I wanted something better for my baby and I know that all here understand that or they wouldn't be on Prime.

Vance, I didn't bring you in since I was working directly with the manufacturer and didn't see a need since they committed to replacing. Unless you could form one and produce it I felt that I was in better hands with the guys that would be doing the work. I did see you stumping for your friends and I don't take issue with that at all as long as everything is transparent- such as my experience.

I know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, that's what I tell everyone under my command in my business. But as I have to live this way at work, I like to leave that at work and conduct myself a little differently in my personal life. My bad, I'll be a d**k 24/7/365 and spread as much "joy and good cheer" as possible. A daily phone call followed by an email requesting a tracking number each and every day would make Peter and myself pretty miserable. What is "fun" for me is a "business" for DF and I guess that I should have framed it in my mind on that level.

For the record, in the nearly 2 weeks since my post- and I know DF monitors Prime which I would do too if I cared about my brand- I have not heard from DF. I'm pretty much over it at this point but again in the interest of transparency I merely wanted my experience on record for others to use in making an informed purchase. Really nice stuff, just cross your fingers and hope that you get a good one. :frown:

We have successfully installed several of these hoods in house. There are several things to keep in mind. First off, this hood was made from a genuine factory NSX-R hood. It has the same identical curvature as the factory hood it was molded from. This curvature, especially at the fenders photoed above, likely varied over the years, and especially between aluminum and the composite NSX-R hoods. Honda themselves shimmed and notched the fenders in order to dial in the curvature. We have done the same ourselves to allow the fenders to match the curvature. Honda sells U shaped shims to do this with.

Cheers,
-- Chris

for the record the downforce hood was not made from a nsx-r hood.. (i didn't want to post.. but had to keep this accurate. that is enough said)

i would also add that i have seen several downforce version 2 hoods that fit very nicely (almost perfect) out of the box.

Last edited:
I have the same issue as curtsr on my 2002+ DF hood. There's no way to make it match the curve of the fender. It lines up at the back and at the front but the middle is lifted. Mine is a version 2.

This curvature, especially at the fenders photoed above, likely varied over the years, and especially between aluminum and the composite NSX-R hoods. Honda themselves shimmed and notched the fenders in order to dial in the curvature. We have done the same ourselves to allow the fenders to match the curvature. Honda sells U shaped shims to do this with.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Why is it constantly mentioned that a company like Honda cant make fenders the same. They can make cars that go 700k miles.. but when they stamp and assemble a hood or a fender... there is "variance"

DF makes good stuff... I wont deny that. But saying there stuff is right and Honda's "varies"... I don’t think so

for the record the downforce hood was not made from a nsx-r hood.. (i didn't want to post.. but had to keep this accurate. that is enough said)

i would also add that i have seen several downforce version 2 hoods that fit very nicely (almost perfect) out of the box.

Congrats on having the bravery to step up socalx... to many people fail to point out incorrect statements by the king

I have seen tons of DF hoods that fit perfect too.. and DF states they offer money back if it doesn’t and I think they would.

http://downforce.biz/cart/product.php?productid=16217&cat=290&page=2

They also mention it's a replica... and SOS does have descriptions all over their website that are manipulated.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior_performance_products/NSX/Downforce/NSX-R_hood/

It wasent a typo.. the actual false statement is the first sentence of the description - for profit

Been waiting 9 months for a hood. I gave up.

How can you give up fasttrax… don’t let the pitcher throw you a curvature ball and lose faith :smile:

i Have been asking who makes the best fitting hood for a year now and still have noone has shown me this.

I live in Canada so you can imagine the hassle and frustration if i got a "perfect" hood only to find out its not. :frown:

Im at the point where im thinkin of makin my own just like the Aussie above.

seems like a lot of work but at least it would fit great.

Back