• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driver's leather Seat Wear

Sev

The driver's side seat bolster and attached area is showing premature wear presumably from getting in and out of the car. This is a bit surprising as the car is a 2002 with 6000 miles. I am wondering if dyeing the area and treating it with a leather conditioner will do anything to help. the car has been garaged so it has been exposed to very little direct sunshine if that makes a difference.

Is this a common problem? How do you treat it? does the dealer or Honda Motor address this issue? Seems a shame that a leather seat would wear so quickly from normal wear.

Any comments?

I think you have a problem. Mine is a '99 and I have no wear. You could always have them replaced, but I would try treating them first.

I've been thinking about purchasing a 355 and everyone I've seen has that problem. Even the ones with less than 10,000 miles.

Dtrigg said:
I think you have a problem. Mine is a '99 and I have no wear. You could always have them replaced, but I would try treating them first.

I've been thinking about purchasing a 355 and everyone I've seen has that problem. Even the ones with less than 10,000 miles.

Repeated liberal applications of Lexol leather conditioner (brown bottle) to a 'cleaned' (Lexol leather cleaner, then h2o rinse) seat bolster will stop the damage from getting worse and might even act as a bit of a restorative.

baby-got-backkk...

Sev said:
Any comments?

Possibly, it might also be how you, in particular, enter/exit the NSX.

For more insights, check this thread out...

"How do you get in to your NSX?"
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5180&highlight=entering+exiting+bolster

Regarding reconditioning & then restoration...

I agree w/ the leather-treatment advice given above by LITTLE RED COUPE...
icon14.gif

Literally, think of your seat's leather surfaces as you would your own skin. It can get dusty/soiled superficially or it can be dirty under the surface (ie. onyx dye/sealant). Also, it can be too dry or too moist/damp.

Try a ph neutral, extremely-mild soapy cleaner or leather-cleaning product and do the seats twice over. Use soft nap, light-colored, CLEAN towels for each effort. The goal is to draw out the micro-debris, contaminants, organic matter & residual perspiration, and dust/dirt particles out from within the leather.

Follow-up w/ a leather conditioner and don't be overly liberal in application since you will repeat this a few times in the forthcoming days. Apply gently/massagingly to the seats and let it soak in, preferably in warm/sunny environment (heat opens up the leather's micro-pores, for lack of a better designation). Initially, I'd do two applications about 1-2hrs apart of the conditioner. Then the following day, one more.

Following the initial treatment, I'd recommend one application everyother day for a week. It's important to keep in mind to make sure the leather in the seats is taking in the conditioner/oil-treatment, not just absorbing it and pooling it & becoming boggy (too damp) or accumulating in the foam-like cushion.

Once this has been done, just apply the conditioner everyother week for 2-3months, then just maintain the leather as'per usual detailing schedule.

Don't forget to clean the leather surface w/ the neutral pH, mild cleaning solution every month during this routine vs. every two weeks that the conditioner is applied.

It'd be awesome if our climate-control/ventilation had some filtration/HEPA component to it. :frown:

Regarding dying the leather seat insert, it is effective if the rest of the seat can be blended in as well. I'd probably use the "Kiwi Scuff Remover Shoe Dye: black" that comes in the flow-tip plastic bottle w/ foam-applicator. Do this after the leather has been cleaned/conditioned/treated and restored to satisfaction. Follow this up w/ a clear shoe-wax and MF-cloth to seal the leather; this clear wax comes in a tin just like brown/black/red show polish. Make sure to check the ingredients for any chemicals that appear to be not acceptable for this application.

Goodluck.

Last edited:
Back