• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving Ambition NSX's Invading Infineon Raceway

Where: Infineon/Sonoma/Sears Point Raceway
When: Friday, August 3rd 2012
Event: HOD/Shelby Club (Fords & Friends) HPDE INFO

Shad will be there all day friday as will I. So far we've got 4 NSX's committed including this beast (bring ear plugs), my beast, a turbo car and more coming.
This is our chance to show our true colors. Come on out and join in on the fun. It's almost sold out so hurry. Should be a hoot. Hope to see you out there even if just to gawk.
photo-23.jpg

Shad will be there all day friday as will I. So far we've got 4 NSX's committed including this beast (bring ear plugs), my beast, a turbo car and more coming.
This is our chance to show our true colors. Come on out and join in on the fun. It's almost sold out so hurry. Should be a hoot. Hope to see you out there even if just to gawk.
photo-23.jpg

sold out already. Are you all going to be there only Friday or Saturday too?

sold out already. Are you all going to be there only Friday or Saturday too?
Wait list?

Shad told me he can only commit to Friday. Currently, I am confirmed for Friday only, but if my tires hold up (and car:redface:) I may sign up for Saturday at the track.

photo-23.jpg

WOW nice car! You run it in TTA? I defiantly don't want to be move out of TTB :)
haha!

So how did it go today?
Today was awesome! We had 4 NSX's in our camp but only 3 ran. Lots of fast cars but we were the guys to reckon with. Going back out there tomorrow if anyone want to come out and join us. Pics to come.

pics?.....vids?

I would like to come out there but unsure if I can make it. Maybe I can get a small group to head out there after the NSX meet in San Mateo tomorrow morning. What time will you be there till?

I would like to come out there but unsure if I can make it. Maybe I can get a small group to head out there after the NSX meet in San Mateo tomorrow morning. What time will you be there till?

I was about to say the same thing. Would love to see the car!

Did Igor show up?

pics?.....vids?

Track is hot until 4:30 but I probably won't stay past 3:00/3:30 depending on scheduling of my group. Her's a few pics from today. Video to come after I upload to youtube next week. Hope you can make it out, supposed to be a beautiful day tomorrow. Good day for a drive to wine country :biggrin:
DSC00227-7.jpg

DSC00228-9.jpg

DSC00229-6.jpg

DSC00238-5.jpg

Only got to chat with Shad for a very short time since he seemed to be busy working on the Red Car. Looks like the car was Mark Allan's old car that he campaigned in OTC a long time back, was a bit surprised that the car still had the Tein suspension on it :eek:.

Overheard a lot of folks on the paddock talking about the fast Black NSX in the D group, seems that you were able to catch people's attention on Friday :D.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following portion is specific to HOD and nothing to do with 1K2GO's car.

BTW: The Advanced Run Group (C-Group) with HOD is a total joke, no open passing and point by's are required for making passes, some clueless drivers with very little track awareness (very similar to PCA events, that are also awful) that stay in the group without being demoted to a lower group by the organizers (most of these moving chicanes seem to be loyal HOD customers).

I had vowed not to run with them again after bad experiences with them in the past, but had heard from the grapevine that they had become better and was hoping to get a track day at Infineon/Sonoma before September, big mistake, bailed out after only running 3 sessions since I could only get 1 or 2 clear laps before getting stuck behind someone that was 5-15 seconds slower per lap waiting for a point-by.

I strongly discourage anyone who is an advanced driver from signing up to the Advanced Run Group (C Group) for HOD events, stepping up to the D group usually requires some extra safety gear. Funny thing is that one of the two Silver Cayman's that was running in the D group didn't have a roll bar, wonder how he got to run in the D group :confused:

Today was awesome! We had 4 NSX's in our camp but only 3 ran. Lots of fast cars but we were the guys to reckon with. Going back out there tomorrow if anyone want to come out and join us. Pics to come.
How did the car hold up? Oil and Air temps in check?

man.. that thing has got to be FAST.

Mine was the one that didn't run... just there to spectate and watch Shad slave over a hot racecar (some wierd issue with Mark's car that we never did figure out... Shad will take it apart back in the shop.)
The two black NSXs were both quick.

How did the car hold up? Oil and Air temps in check? man.. that thing has got to be FAST.

The 07 car was nothing short of awesome for both days. She ran cool and quick. I did all four 25min. sessions on Friday on my wornout heat cycled Toyos and was never passed but did plenty of passing. What a difference 100whp makes. The only car I didn't have an answer for was Mark's 550RWHP red NSX parked in front of me, but unfortunately his day was cut short. Other than that we had D Group (race prepped) covered.

Saturday was literally a whole different story. Different club (Shelby), different rules, faster cars and more of them. My car was the only one in the group that wasn't fully caged and daily driven. I was surrounded by 600+hp Mustang Cobras, GT40's, Ponoz, Scarabs, 427 Cobras. Some of them were really fast and some of them were really dangerously fast. I witnessed several crashes both into walls and into other cars.

Unfortunately, my video camera crapped out on me after the 3rd session on Friday so I got no in car footage of all the mayhem on Saturday. That's really a shame because that footage would have been epic and also would be evidence in several insidence right in front of me.

Bottom line is it's doubtful I will ever run with either HOD or Shelby again and for opposite reasons; HOD is overpriced and over-hyped, filled with high dollar hyper-cars and inexperienced weekend warriors. I traded some paint with one of them on Friday and that was enough for me. On the other hand, the Shelby club has some very fast race cars and some freeking crazyass drivers. Those Fords also seem to be magnetically attracted to each other and the walls. they also have a propensity to deposit a lot of oil on the line. I spent most of Saturday up front, trailing right behind the Panoz's, carving thru the throngs of Mustang Cobras anticipating when a Mustang and Panoz would bounce off each other. I spent a lot of my day Saturday playing witness and arbitrator between two very unhappy accident victims. By the end of the day I considered it a huge victory that I was driving home under my own power with only a little green Camaro TTU paint to remember my two days of battle.

I'll sort thru the video from Friday and post some of it here and on my Build thread.

^ that whole thing seems like mayhem! Down south we just have to worry about spinning subies and Porsche drivers that refuse to give the point by.

Im going to try and drive infenion/laguna this coming year, hopefully Ill be able to find a day with less crazies.

^ that whole thing seems like mayhem! Down south we just have to worry about spinning subies and Porsche drivers that refuse to give the point by.

Im going to try and drive infenion/laguna this coming year, hopefully Ill be able to find a day with less crazies.

May I suggest you try a TrackMasters event.

http://trackmasters-racing.com/

Ha! These Shelby guys would have used any unsuspecting poor Subaru as traction and punted them back to Japan. No GT3's were brave enough to come out and play in the race prep group. These Ford guys have no problem banging fenders. I think the most used tool in the pits on Saturday were big hammers (Ford tool) :eek:

I should have some in-car video from Friday uploaded by this evening. Some decent footage of me chasing Rick's 500hp turbo NSX chasing down a 500hp ZO6 :biggrin:

Last edited:
Supercharged NSX vs Turbocharged NSX

Video from the 2nd session on Friday. Sorry for the length but it gets pretty interesting when we catch the ZO6. Don't be fooled by Rick's 'sleeper stock NSX'. The full roll cage is a dead giveaway, not to mention all the extra plumbing under the valance. He's got a 500hp turbo compared to my 400hp SC. Both cars on R compound tires, BBK and dialed suspension. I'm conceeding 100hp but I've got the aero advantage = good fun.

YouTube: Supercharged NSX vs Turbocharged NSX

DSC00231-8.jpg

DSC00232-6.jpg

DSC00239-5-1.jpg

DSC00241-4-1.jpg

DSC00236-4.jpg

Last edited:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QnzRfUfa41A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice video.

Looked like the D Group wasn't really that much better than the C group given the huge amounts of traffic and the relative pace of the cars that I saw on your video.

As far as I could tell these were the time stamps on the video as you crossed the start finish line.

2:53
4:53
6:52
8:52
10:47
12:40
14:32
16:27
18:21
20:16

Laptimes:
2:00
1:59
2:00
1:55
1:53
1:52
1:54

Was your car running some old R-comps that were heat cycled out?

The reason why I am asking is because IIRC you were doing 1:52's with your stock engine and the HoHo's during the Speedventures/TracMasters track day a couple of months back.

The 2:00 laptimes were due to traffic, but not being able to get below 1:52 was kind of surprising given the extra HP that you have on your car now.

I would have guessed that you might be able to get down to the 1:48's with all the additional HP that you had on your car which should have helped between T6 - T7 as well as between T8 all the way to T11 and between T11 and T2.

Maybe it was the extra weight from the passenger throwing the balance of the car out, or maybe the extra power but it sure seemed that you were sawing the wheel quite a bit for a car with good functional aero.

Any planned suspension or LSD mods to make the best use of the additional HP?

Back